Why did Latin fall out of use? It seems like, given how big the Roman empire was, and how powerful it was...

Why did Latin fall out of use? It seems like, given how big the Roman empire was, and how powerful it was, and how long it lasted, their language really should have become the default European language. Is it because they never really had a public education system to ram the language into everybody's mind? Or was latin just a shitty language that nobody wanted to use?

Other urls found in this thread:

bbc.com/pidgin
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

You used Latin like 20 times simply asking that question in English.

What do you think the romance languages are

Worte sind nicht Sprache

Languages evolve over time, same thing will happen to english eventually. Just look at how incomprehensible brits are already.

It evolved into the Romance languages

Deutsch is not a real language

I don't think that will happen with modern English, simply because of computers. We all type the exact same way. Why would it ever change? And because of the pervasiveness of modern education systems, standardized English is going to become more solid rather than more fluid.

>we all type in the exact same way
Entirely wrong. Go be a stupid fucker somewhere else, like reddit you reddit-spacing cuntsack

are you okay user

daijobu daijobu

>be a roman peon in provinces
>talk latin in your hick accent
>roman empire collapse
>continue talk in latin
>fast forward couple centuries
>the hick accent has kept getting worse and worse and acquired new expressions and phrases not present in latin your ancestors spoke
>try to speak to some other redneck latin speaker from the other side of former roman empire
>can't understand him
>congrats m8, you no longer speak latin but old french/spanish/etc.

But even with computers there's really no "standard English", nor any one agency which gets to decide what does and doesn't constitute a word in the English language. If anything computers could very well accelerate the proliferation of niche dialects that people speak to each other as "insider language" because even distances would no longer be strictly limiting factors. I mean even though the internet is fairly recent by historic standards we already have terms like 'topkek' and 'lurk moar' which don't make sense outside of the context of anonymous message board culture. English 500 years from now may be incomprehensibly more vast and intricate

>I mean even though the internet is fairly recent by historic standards we already have terms like 'topkek' and 'lurk moar' which don't make sense outside of the context of anonymous message board culture.

"Top kek" doesn't even make sense inside that culture. Kek is a specific video games meme that retards on other boards started to use instead of lol, thinking that's "ironic" due to their low IQ.

but is a microscale example of how language shifts subtly over time, how words and phrases fall in and out of fashion, and how the internet in many ways is actually expanding the pool of words and phrases, and it's silly to think that people will still be speaking English the way we do in 500 years. Future English would probably be even more incomprehensible to us than Shakespearean English.

bbc.com/pidgin

Will never happen, right user?

shnitty language

>nor any agency which gets to decide what is and isn't English

Fairly sure there is a royal institution in England that does, French and Spanish also have them. He's silly for thinking languages can't evolve anymore, but he's right saying education makes those changes harder and slower.

It didn't fall out of use. it evolved into several different languages whose use overtook it. This is because the empire was widespread, but difficult to maintain. Once the political hegeomony backing the latin language rotted away and the various cultures using it became more isolated, the language naturally evolved into several others. It is still a huge source of root words, prefixes, suffixes, and academic terminology, so it's arguable that it never even died, just became relegated to a lesser function than lingua franca (which, incidentally, is a latin term).

yeah, it became relegated to being a dead language
t. Latin major

Yes. You major in something. Therefore your oversimplified answers should be taken as gospel, and my more nuanced explanation which expands upon your answers should be ignored.

Don't let academia turn you into a blunt prick.

>hick accent
>worse and worse
It is a cultural myth that dialects (always) represent local ignorance. It is more that they represent local focus. Why speak the way highborn folk do when you can get much more across with fewer syllables by employing slang and tonal cues? At that point it is a matter of efficiency. Do two miners, for instance, huffing and puffing from exhaustion, want to sound educated, or do they want to get their ideas across between exhausted breaths? This same principle applies in the military. Drill sergeants say things like "a ten hut" instead of "attention" to save on energy while sounding more distinct.

Your worldly focus is not the same as a highborn expansionist, nor will it ever be, barring great fortune. So your dialect is demonstrative of your focus, not your ignorance. Other than that I agree.

French, Spanish, Italian, Romanian all come from plebian "street latin"

but it is. look at Veeky Forums vernacular. its already pretty incomprehensible to normies and its only been what, 15 years? Imagine another 50-100. languages always evolve.

>Future English would probably be even more incomprehensible to us than Shakespearean English.

Yes, especially since now there is many more subcultures, and much more conscious effort being put into modifying one's language. Some industries have such dense jargon as to qualify as their own dialects.

>implying that Anglified French words of far off Latin origin is the same as real Latin

It's a combination of many factors, a lot of provinces had and still have local slang borrowed from other languages of either the same region, or of cultures that are particularly prevalent in that area alone.

Yes. You don't know any Latin. Therefore your uneducated musings should be taken as gospel.

I really really hope spanglish doesn't become even more fucking prevalent because it makes me sick, fucking apes should speak Spanish or English, not that unholy nigger-tier mess.

"Spanglish" is what happens when second spics try to speak Spanish, not some spanish/English creole. Second gens speak fluent English.

Don't even bother giving lessons to the tykes around here. Even without invoking his status as a "major", you can guarantee anyone who types "t." is your typical moron around here. Trust me.

> implying there is any such thing a "real" Latin.

Does someone think Italians just woke up one morning and decided to stop speaking Latin and start speaking Italian?

It's incredibly prevalent amongst everyone, and Mexican slang seems to be increasingly common amongst native English speakers in America.

nothing warms the heart like seeing two uneducated morons patting each other on the back.

I don't speak French yet I'm fairly sure I know more about it and the average French normie.

>It's incredibly prevalent amongst everyone
No it's not. Spanglish is a corruption of Spanish by English, not the other way around.

>I don't speak French yet I'm fairly sure I know more about it and the average French normie.
You most certainly believe you know more.

I didn't pat him on the back or say he was right. And even if I did, he hasn't even responded to me so saying "patting each other on the back" only further confirms your idiocy. Look, I know you're used to reddit but at least try not to bring your pseudointellectual baggage here.

>you reddit-spacing cuntsack
Can't reddit space if he never used spaces in his post
>thinking nigga.jpg

The corruption is mutual, there's English with (Mexican/Caribbean) slang, and Spanish with English slang, but the English influence in Spanish is no different than that of English in most other languages nowadays.

lmao look at this pathetic loser trying to fit in

Meant for

Corruption is not mutual. It is corruption of Spanish by English. Spics don't go around mixing Spanish words into their every day speech.

I'm not sure what you are trying to say friend

The initial space is a reddit space.

I'm pretty sure I've witnessed Spanglish-type phenomena between English and other languages from Californians. It is likely a phenomenon resulting from California's lack of culture and sophistication. With all due respect, of course.

I'm pretty sure you wouldn't be able to provide more than 3 examples.

These roman "peons" did well

>brings up linguistics
>oh boy, time to bash the NIGGERZ
ladies and gentlemen, a round of applause for a well-adjusted and intelligent individual

Not my fault nigger is a widely recognised way to call something vulgar, dumb and low-class in every single place from California to Russia and from Alaska to Tierra del Fuego.

ohh senpai will we have an own language eventually ?

Learned this in Early Modern History in Uni. Humanists in the Renaisance went back to Classical Roman writers. Straight to the source. And kept making the Latin of Antiquity purer and purer. Not allowing any change or evolution. Thus it became a dead (unevolving) language.

Na, English is notable for not having a body like that.

half of empire was invaded by a bunch of savages and still with that the language was being used after they raped and killed the romans and other people

As a Spaniard, I can confirm that mexicans are really corrupted by english compared to other spanish speakers. It's perfectly noticeable. Also they have more tendency to just introduce english words to spanish instead of adapting them first.

>implying 3 isn't more than enough to prove it