Meta thread

Do you personally like Veeky Forums? Do you think it should be improved or is it fine the way it is?

It was destined to fail and people knew this long before it was even created.

As long as the mods refuse to ban people Veeky Forums can never improve.

I come here to learn and read about interesting events in history.
I dislike the /pol type posters and all the africa kangz bs but ive been on Veeky Forums a long time and I'm accustomed to scrolling past shit.
Its all the mods

It's the same bait threads repeatably. Most threads have a political agenda or are attempts at epic trolling. The bait is always taken.
Veeky Forums gets the most basic of /pol/ and tumbler posters using low hanging fruit to turn every historical discussion into a political one. Or anons using that low hanging fruit to false flag. The namefag here is mentally handicapped while the shitposters easily rank as the worst on this entire site.
When there are attempts at genuine discussion, they go alright, yet are so few and far between that they are barely noticeable.

The book recommendations here are good though.

I've said this before, but there are legitimately good posts on Veeky Forums, they are just few and far between. Take for example the many of armor threads, where there are a few informed anons. Or maybe that one huge Great Game thread where the user posted his sources and described the beginning of the Great Game in detail. That thread is my example for the perfect Veeky Forums discussion. The user knew what he was talking about and people asked him questions. There was a surprisingly low amount of shitters as well. Good threads are possible, but removing dumb bait threads is the only solution. That's not to say that Veeky Forums can't have fun. I don't mind meme threads as long as it isn't so blatantly obvious. In short, the way to fix Veeky Forums is stricter moderation, but not to the extent that shit becomes boring.

Until then though, it's on the not shitty elements of Veeky Forums to create threads that you like and inform or ask about topics. Be the change you want to see in the world and all that shit. If you are particularly interested on a topic, make a thread about it. Inform people about it in some manner. Maybe do a story thing like the Great Game thread. Or maybe something different, I don't know. Whatever the case, Veeky Forums isn't going to get better by complaining. Drown out the autistic /pol/ and /leftypol/ spamming by making well researched threads or responses. That's all we really have the power to do until the mods get their act together.

Am I missing something or have the mods deleted pro-Stalin pro-communist bait threads? Based.

It's the same "eurangutan" """"supremacists"""" delusions. Let them be, that's all they got before they get extinct'd.

The mods do ban people faggot
>t. been banned at least forty times and I evade every one

Too many muhfeels fags tbqh.
Can't have a sassanid thread without diaspora persians sperg out
Can't have an Ottoman thread without balkanites sperging out
Can't have a Byzantine thread without christians sperging out

Hey that thread wasn't so bad. Some guy who's friends with one of the animators said he might try and get pregnant Anne Frank inserted as an R&M skit and cause >>>/reddit/ to explode.

Veeky Forums is torture for me

I fucking love history, but Veeky Forums is complete garbage. The history portion is just historical nostalgiafaggotry and pushing agendas, and the humanities portion is just an excuse to justify any inane troll question that comes to mind. Questions that get answered quickly only for the guy to post it again 10 sec later.

I can enjoy video games with /v/, anime with /a/, and fantasy with Veeky Forums, but Veeky Forums is just garbage.

The advantage of Great Game is that you don't have Russians or Anglos shitting in the thread, they might shit on other threads (Falklands , Brexit, Crimea or whatever) but Great Game is not tainted.

I'm a PhD Canditate in Byzantine History, I rarely mention this but I stopped citing sources or talk about scholarship due to anons having an emotional stake in their arguments and refusing to read let alone believe in evidence.

The janny is corrupt. He deletes threads he doesn't like within five minutes. If a thread is up odds are he likes it.

Don't let the shitposters fool you, anytime you see the janny is 100% complicit.

you dumbass. you don't post to convince the person you're arguing with. you post for everyone else who might be reading the thread and actually be interested in a cited academic perspective

>enjoying /v/, /a/
Kill yourself generalfag.

Depends, I don't think I need to to convince many that the empire under Constantine did not had a Christian Majority, it is the few and usually obnoxious bunch who have bullshit claims and refuse to look at scholarship

I've noticed more people posting scihub links, along with libgen these two sites are great and provide academic sources like books/journal articles to everyone for free when they would otherwise be paywalled/prohibitively expensive. It's a lot better for discourse and learning than everyone just linking wikipedia.

Can confirm. Mods definitely ban

Veeky Forums mods are particularly anal about trap threads for some reason

This one was uncalled for in my opinion.

And of course it's an unabashed phoneposter.

I'm not even sure how this happened. But I got banned from 3 boards at once somehow

It's shit.

I'm interested in history, but all Veeky Forums cares about are thinly veiled b8 threads about race and politics. It's just fucking sad that people cannot share their knowledge in such a toxic landscape.

I blame /pol/.

Not sure what happened here

I get banned for using this as the OP image regardless of the topic

I know why, and I kinda deserve it, but that's besides the point

bugs..

LARPing needs to be a bannable offence, we've got the Turkish fucking retard makes 20 threads some days

This one sucks too. I wasn't even trying to troll

Ignore them. Especially if it's a thread that you made yourself about the Byzantines. Give them an outlet and they will continuously annoy you. Don't respond to them and they will eventually give up. If you notice in the Great Game thread, the first few responses are full on autism. The OP ignores them and keeps on going. The stupid posts are then almost non-existent. I'll admit that it may not be so clean for a Byzantine thread because it's a more controversial subject, but that should at least keep retards to as best a minimum as we can manage.

Veeky Forums was doomed from the start. There's a reason moot was so against. The history threads on Veeky Forums, Veeky Forums and /int/ were and are better.

I've never been banned from Veeky Forums and I even posted something completely offtopic once by accident, the janman kindly deleted it for me and that was that, so I'm inclined to believe that only inveterate shitposters and /pol/baiters manage to find themselves on the business end of a banhammer.

It's actually just because you notice the differences more than the similarities. Show a mixed race child to a European and they'd say it was more black, show the same child to an African and they'd say it's white.

We should just get rid of mods. They only ever ban controversial history threads and leave up shit that belongs on /bant/

I think his has gone downhill for a wjile now. Maybe its summerfags. Xu i remember several months ago it being muxh better.

Ban 'safespace' threads and posters. Rules on the /pol/ sticky should also actually be enforced on here unlike over there.

There should be a nigger hate megathread to centralize all the /pol/ posting. But mods will never allow that.

That's what /pol/ is for and meant to contain.

The solution

Actually report things.
Despite the memes, mods and jannies do their job, they can't be constantly combing a whole board and thousands of replies for rule breaking, reports do get to them eventually.
They really should get off their arses and comb the catalog every hour or so, though.

There should be a few stickied megathreads for popular topics e.g. Africa, WW2, etc.

nothing should be done
only stupid people go into these stupid threads
and most of Veeky Forums are stupid people