What does Veeky Forums think about the Samurai (Translation: Japanese fighting swordsman)?

What does Veeky Forums think about the Samurai (Translation: Japanese fighting swordsman)?

Cute bait, kid

>Fall once then kill yourself dishonabru piggu
>-Japanese proverb

I don't think the Zen philosophy supported that, when Jogun Pinwa was fighting side by side with the famous 160 samurais against the western invaders, he was shot twice but kept on fighting till the invaders left Nippon.

Pretty cool guy, eh cuts tanks in half and doesn't afraid of anything

>Samurai
>swordsman

the translation of samurai is servant

That's it. I'm sick of all this "Masterwork Bastard Sword" bullshit that's going on in the d20 system right now. Katanas deserve much better than that. Much, much better than that.
I should know what I'm talking about. I myself commissioned a genuine katana in Japan for 2,400,000 Yen (that's about $20,000) and have been practicing with it for almost 2 years now. I can even cut slabs of solid steel with my katana.

Japanese smiths spend years working on a single katana and fold it up to a million times to produce the finest blades known to mankind.

Katanas are thrice as sharp as European swords and thrice as hard for that matter too. Anything a longsword can cut through, a katana can cut through better. I'm pretty sure a katana could easily bisect a knight wearing full plate with a simple vertical slash.

Ever wonder why medieval Europe never bothered conquering Japan? That's right, they were too scared to fight the disciplined Samurai and their katanas of destruction. Even in World War II, American soldiers targeted the men with the katanas first because their killing power was feared and respected.

So what am I saying? Katanas are simply the best sword that the world has ever seen, and thus, require better stats in the d20 system. Here is the stat block I propose for Katanas:

(One-Handed Exotic Weapon)
1d12 Damage
19-20 x4 Crit
+2 to hit and damage
Counts as Masterwork
(Two-Handed Exotic Weapon)
2d10 Damage
17-20 x4 Crit
+5 to hit and damage
Counts as Masterwork

Now that seems a lot more representative of the cutting power of Katanas in real life, don't you think?

tl;dr = Katanas need to do more damage in d20, see my new stat block.

CHING CHONG PING PONG DING BONG

Evil cocksuckers who'd kill peasants for fun.

They were peasants themselves often enough. Its only after Ieyasu and his social reform that the Samurai became a class in its own right separated from others. Beforehand there was not really anything stopping peasants becoming samurai trough service and good conduct. It's also in this period that they gain the "right" to "cut and leave" which is what you are refer to.

The most known example is Toyotomi_Hideyoshi, son of a peasant ashigaru and an ashigaru himself. He ended up becoming a Daimyo and unified Japan after Nobunaga's death, invading Korea starting the Imjin war.

Fall down 1 time
Stand Up 1 time
Fall down 2 times
Stand Up 2 times
Fall down 3 times
Stand Up 3 times
Fall down 4 times
Stand Up 4 times
Fall down 5 times
Stand Up 5 times
Fall down 6 times
Stand Up 6 times
Fall down 7 times
Stand Up 7 times
Stand Up 8 times
あの、日本人さんたち?

You start up.
The original is simply "seven times (a ronin) down, eight times up".

How can you stand up 8 times if you've only fallen 7 times?

you have to stand up to get out of bed in the morning

How are you supposed to stand up eight times if you only fell seven times? Stand up while you are already standing?

>He's not an upstanding follower of Bushido
wwwwwwww

ebin

oh nice!

>Japanese
Knockoff of mainland China
>Fighting
Most I'd their history is being bureaucrats, back-line commanders, or just novel class layabouts
>Swordsman
Horse archers

The idea is that to have fallen you must have already been standing up. So you begin with 1 standing and then, if you fall, it bumps that up to 1 which you counter by standing, 2 etc.

>Most I'd their history is being bureaucrats,

The edo period is not most of their history, though it is the period they focused most on swordsmanship, and by contemporary accounts by foreigners they were quite good

So then you've already stood up at least once for every day you've been alive.

S up
F down
S up
F down
S up
F down
S up
F down
S up
F down
S up
F down
S up
F down
S up

You don't start by being on top. Yet end up being on top.

is this how you special move in japanese?

I get knocked down, but I get up again.
You are never gonna keep me down.
I get knocked down, but I get up again.
You are never gonna keep me down.
>Pissing the night away, pissing the night away.

>fighting swordsman
Is there a different type? Pacifist swordsman? Non-combatant swordsman? Was there ever a military group trained to fight, but not for the combat purposes? Now I'm genuinely curious. I know the idea sounds autistic, but I'm sure someone done that before
Enlighten me guys

Most sword arts today are for sport or aesthetic purposes.