This has been bothering me forever. Why the fuck didn't Spain just conquer Portugal?

This has been bothering me forever. Why the fuck didn't Spain just conquer Portugal?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=jowtiKZ2Qnw
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Because history doesn't work like your fucking Paradox grand strategy games you autistic faggot

they feared the Portuguese warrior

>implying they didn't try

Cuz anglos

Again, Iberian Union.

Your question could be asked about any state and its neighbor. What in your mind makes Spain-Portugal different?

Didn't they unite the Kingdoms around 16th century AD?
Or was that the 17th Century?

Anyway, when you are already economically dominant, conquering the land is just a waste of resources. Spain needed nothing from Portugal.

Not OP but I see it's cause Portugal is a relatively small country that ONLY touches Spain (even though Spain was split up at first) and is trapped by them in a corner.

That's not a unique phenomena though. It might also potentially be a hindrance to conquest as the weaker nation have no other direct national threats while the larger might have plenty.

They tried several times and got btfo each time

Except that time in which they actually succeeded, you know.

>a small country is next to a bigger country so obviously it should be conquered
this is what grand-strategy video games do to your brain

You know in civ5 sometimes there's a small empire next to yours and it makes no sense to conquer them because their cities aren't that valuable and they are more useful as trading partners and diplomatic allies? I bet its like that.

They didnt. The King inherited.

yeah, Portugal was never conquered. It was simply joint to spain because the Spanish king inherited the crown because a portuguese king died with no heirs, and, you know, royal families across europe tend to be related

Philip II.

Philip II did "inherit" it, but he did have to somewhat invade and annex the place due to rivals, basically an invasion since his claim was weak.

>Castilian king arrives to Portugal with an army cause he has rights to the crown
>He is defeated
Invasion
>Castilian king arrives to Portugal with an army cause he has rights to the crown
>He succeeds
It´s a fair inheritance.

They did. But they were at war with everyone, who funded all their internal strife. They are lucky they kept Naples, Catalonia and Andalusia.

If Spain was bankrupt they could have taken it back. But Spain was too backwards to integrate their people into a nation so who knows what would have happen.

Holyyyyyyyyyyy shiiiiiiiiiiiiit, i dont know this, thanks my Veeky Forumstorian friend, i really learned something in this shitty board today

not being ironic

High nobility and cleric supported with troops if you see the bit Portuguese loyal to Spanish king. It was literally like a Civil War with few battles. The other guy had his claim from illegitimate line.

They feared the Moor warrior.

The eternal anglo.

>why didn't China conquer the Korean peninsula
>why didn't Sweden conquer Norway
>why didn't South Africa conquer Lesotho and Swaziland
>why didn't Brazil conquer Uruguay

well?

Sweden and Norway were united under one crown actually
Several times akchtually

youtube.com/watch?v=jowtiKZ2Qnw

It's so annoying, too.

If Spain had conquered Portugal (or Portugal had conquered Spain) before/around the time of the discovery of the Americas, there would be a single language for all of Latin America, spoken by about 600 mill. people (if not more due to the prominence), second only to Mandarin.

Instead, South America is split into two radically different regions (Brazil and not Brazil), with the Spanish side even further divided.

Uruguay was also part of Portuguese America.

Spain and Portugal were also under a single crown at one point.

Britain = strong
Portugal and Britain are friends
Friends don't let spainards stab each other
the end

>england's only strength was its navy
>Spain and Portugal had a land border
>invade Portugal by land
>keep your troops away from the coast until the anglos go away
Sasuga.

Except they always stab you in the back

Protectorate, it might as well have been Chinese anyway. That and the Manchu are fucking nuts and you have to go through them first.

The Aviz were an illegitimate line too, is just that they defeated the Castilians in their struggle for the Portuguese Crown.
Just like the illegitimate Trastamara defeated the Portuguese in their struggle for the Castilian Crown.

what?
Spain beat England more times that the other way around
it's just that Spain's failed invasion is more known

>The decimated Antonian army fled towards Oporto with the intention of reassembling his troops, but was completely destroyed at Oporto by the Spanish forces under the command of Don Sancho d'Avila.[17] At the end of 1580, most of the Portuguese territory was in Spanish hands.

Battle of Alcantara, yeah Portugal was never "conquered".....

The Anglos are the masters of propaganda.

this

what could portugal offer? Even if spain conquered them before the americas and stopped an official colonization of brazil, the portuguese that could go to settle at brazil would see themselfs as portuguese settlers not spanish ones.

I seen one time where Portugal conquered Spain (well technically all other countries of that place and then itsefl become Spain).

>There was actual English Armada sunk by Spanish
>Normal people will never hear about it

they tried numerous ties, and succeed a few times
>why didn't Sweden conquer Norway
they did, though they never fully annexed them
>why didn't South Africa conquer Lesotho and Swaziland
Briton told them not to
>why didn't Brazil conquer Uruguay
because Argentina would certainly have come to their aid, also Argentina totally tried to conquer Uruguay

england is such a sexy dominatrix

> a single language for all of Latin America
What's French Guyanna, Haiti and those French islands?

30-years war wasnt joke. Portuguese separatists were backed by Britain, Spain lose and started becoming shit.
It could be worse with victory of Catalan separatists.

They were backed with French most of the part only in late period English backed them up. Check your sources. England was in a other conflict during 1639 diverting its attention.

|

It's what would've happened if the king of Portugal had conquered most of Iberia (ie Hispania), like they actually tried to do in the time of Isabella. Portugal wasn't a special iberian kingdom different from Castille, Aragon or Navarre and destined to be alone from those. It just happened.

Because they did conquer Portugal (dynastic union, but there was a war to press it). But later after that Spain suffered a gangrape by France and basically every european power except maybe Austria. And it lost Portugal just like it lost Holland and eventually all their empire.

There was a war and Spain won.

A meme.

True, but they do still work closer to real history than anything else I can think of.

fpbp

OP has ocd

It's like asking why the US just hasn't invaded and annexed Canada yet. The relationship between Spain and Portugual has always been relatively friendly with no real political rivalries between them except maybe in football. A Spanish/Portuguese alliance was more mutually beneficial to both parties as opposed to attempting to conquer it and go through the process of integrating and administrating the land.

This alliance payed off massive dividends in the end with a personal union established between the two under the Philippine dynasty, with Spain and Portugal under the same crown and essentially having no conflicts of interest, there was no reason to invade as the relationship they had was beneficial as it was.

i feel bad for portugal always gettin bullied