If coiled springs weren't really a thing until the Renaissance then how did medieval doors and locks work?

If coiled springs weren't really a thing until the Renaissance then how did medieval doors and locks work?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=dvWalWHJigE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

youtube.com/watch?v=dvWalWHJigE

>doors

Hinges and door bars.

>locks

Barely existed before the renaissance.

Interesting, but then couldn't any retard with a curved object just break in unless you bar the door shut?

Yes. However, there would likely always be at least one person at home at any time, except on feast days and harvest time, so the exposure isn't as great as you'd think.

So much so that "latch-lifter" became a synonym for burglar, and possession of "latch-picks" such as pic related were taken as proof that their owner was a burglar.

>barely existed before the renaissance

Pic related is a viking padlock from York.

And?

Locksmith here:

some early padlocks used leaf springs to function, but for most of history, door locks didnt use springs at all.

The famous "ancient egyptian" pin tumblers used gravity to keep the pins in place, so no spring was needed.

Europeans, for most of their history, used warded locks. In warded locks, the keys bit is basically throwing the bolt manually by its rotation, and the security is provided by static protrusions on the inside of the lock that prevent an improperly shaped key from being able to engage the bolt correctly.

In the late 1700s and early 1800s, you start seeing the earliest lever locks (typically having only 1 lever and still mostly relying on wards). Lever locks are the first real time you need springs...and even today they're made with flat springs, not coils.

Its not until linus yale invents the modern pin tumbler in the late 1800s that you really need coil springs (although i think brahma's safety lock used coils about 20 years prior...its not a common design anymore)

Even in pin tumbler locks, the coil springs are just there so that dumb euros can mount their locks upside down -- they still function without springs when mounted pin stack up.

so tl;dr for most of history, they had shitty locks, and the first decent locks used flat springs. Pic related is a lever lock taken apart so you can see the flat springs that actuate the levers.

How hard do you have to fuck up in life to actually be a locksmith?

Dunno about Murrica, but in Europe it's not a bad job. I had to copy a key this summer, it literally took the guy 2 minutes to do it and I payed him 20 Euros.

>and possession of "latch-picks" such as pic related were taken as proof that their owner was a burglar.

B-but what if you wanted to lock your own house's door when you went out?

Lol, here is 2 dollars

Are you insulting locksmithing?
What a fag.

Muslims had combination padlocks pretty early. Not sure how they worked mechanically, I'll see if I can find out.

Imagine how much you have to fuck up in life to make this post.

>some faggot who's probably a humanities graduate insulting locksmithing

t. Lowes associate

I don't even know who Lowe is but probably some jew based on the name

Europeans have more complicated locks than we do over here.

Lol working class retard VS patrician intellectual

>fell for the college meme
If it's not STEM or medicine it's worthless. Humanities grads are flipping burgers at Wendy's and stocking shelves in warehouses. They're basically lower than serfs.

They work basically like pic related.

basically, you have a locking bar. It has protrusions that stick out regularly at intervals, with gaps between the protrusions. These protrusions are the lock's detainers.

Each wheel likewise has a slot in it (the gate) at a certain point that the detainers can fit through. When the correct combination is entered, the locking bar can slide freely in and out through the gates.

When the wheels are rotated out of alignment, the detainers can't be pulled through the gates in the wheels, and so the locking bar cant be removed.

modern Inline combination locks like this basically work the exact same way, except the detainer isnt a sliding bar, but a pall that falls into gates on the wheel pack. Modern dial combo locks work similarly, but the wheelpack and locking pall are shorter, and the wheels are manipulated by a series of protrusions on the faces of the wheels rather than individually.

Pic related for an example of the locking bar.

Yes, how horrible to make well above average wage.

>Wasting time getting a degree in humanities when you could get a useful trade, get a job with that, and then just read from there
I hope your break isn't over yet, since you can't use your phone while flipping burgers.
Now, I'm got an air conditioner to fix.

>person with specialized knowledge of the topic at hand vs. Some faggot who sniffs hegel's farts

It's not really wasting time when it's my passion and when I decide that I want to live my life doing what I love rather than doing a menial, low payed job for the rest of my life like you chose

It's called university where I live, not every poster is a Murican (thank God)

Maybe in Murica, but I honestly wouldn't trade my life away just for a decent pay even in that case

Trades aren't low paying you idiot. Are you the same kind of detached retard who also thinks coal miners are poor people?

In Italy there isn't such a thing as a trade school, and jobs like yours are payed very bad

>low payed job
user, trades pay excellently. And right out of college. And college is cheap and only takes two years, for many of them.
Get a good job, and read history books as a hobby.
Also, a lot of people actually enjoy working with their hands.

>I want to live my life doing what I love rather than doing a menial, low payed job
But you're a humanities grad.

Did you miss the part of my post when I said I was not American?

Italy is a shithole to begin with.

I disagree, how is Italy a shithole?

Then why are you insulting someone for making a good career and life choice, when you know that it's only a bad one in Italy?

>someone says barely existed
>thinks that finding scarce examples refutes that

Barely existed doesn't mean didn't exist, it means barely existed.

Northern Italy is good, the rest of the country is basically below Eastern Europe tier.

Because exchanging your passion for a secure, but boring life is called cowardice where I live

>Northern Italy is good, the rest of the country is basically below Eastern Europe tier.

Not at all, don't act like you know shit when you probably can't point Italy on the map

sweet, good info

t. terrone

How hard do you have to fuck up in life to like disgusting old hags?

It's called intelligence where I live.
Also, as I said, a lot of people enjoy trades.
That's not even an argument.

>trades are not passion
As a carpenter I gotta kek heartily

How hard do you have to fuck up in life to be a filthy fucking wop?

My passion is locksmithing and security research, though...

>read books in spare time
Somebody doesn't understand pedagogy.

Italy isn't a shithole, you don't have to sell your live and work to pay for your studies and it doesn't coast 2 million dollars to go to the doctor

Italy is probably the best country on earth right now

Some people can learn without a magic art, there are two things called discipline and effort.

>*nglo
Why do you have such ridiculous words and insults? I can't take you ridiculous little goblins seriously.

>Italy is probably the best country on earth right now

Mamma mia, thatsa one spicy aload ofa bullscetta

>I need university retards who I view as authority figures and my superiors to brainwash me thoroughly

>learn
You aren't learning, you're memorizing information.

>You can only learn with the help of an authorized person.

People outside of the mediterranian learned to get educated without pederasty.

Yeah, no. It might compare favourably to US, but by Western European standards it's still a shithole.

>he thinks history is relevant
>he thinks a serious field like theology can simply be 'read' and not engaged with through mentorship, the same way that one cannot learn a trade merely through reading, but through mentorship
Navel-gazing little fuckfag

>theology
>a serious field
HAHAHAHAHA

I can learn about fact, without Marxist dialect and all the bullshit, without an authorized person pay a lot for it.

I wonder what's best, sitting in a chair pressing 3 buttons in a stupid machine until you croak or teaching to the young great classics like Homer's poems

Implying that trading jobs is some menial jobs that only exist in college propaganda books.

Yes, unlike glorified STEMspergery like history, and actual STEMspergery, which is mere memorization.
The process of theology require activity, not passivity. The Scholastic universities were lively, even rowdy, in their dialogue and lectures.

Autodidacity is something that comes after training. This is why there are 'star child' STEMspergs and historians, but not a single one capable of engaging with a serious field like theology.
>fact
Doesn't exist. An enlightenment myth.
>all dialogue is 'marxist dialectics'
It's Platonic pedagogy you stupid child.

I really hope you are talking about catholic theology, something deep that demand time to learn, no that Sunday school protestants call theology college.

Maybe I need to pay someone special to tell me facts don't exist, while telling me about Plato (who said facts EXIST)

>a serious field like theology

Scholastic universities were banned by church for a good reason... the more STEM Jesuits taken they place.

>The process of theology require activity, not passivity. The Scholastic universities were lively, even rowdy, in their dialogue and lectures.
That's because they're teaching you opinions, not anything concrete or useful.

Yes, initializing that key-duplicator machine must be thrilling

God: What did you with the life I gave you?

You: I put keys in a machine

God: *face palm

Add Italians to the list of people who need to be banned from Veeky Forums. And stop replying to this thread. OP's question was answered, now it's just laughing at this dumb Wop's bait.

>I want to live my life doing what I love rather than doing a menial, low payed job for the rest of my life like you chose

I hope you love menial, low payed jobs then, friend.

>God: What did you do with the life I gave you?
>You: I read the works of some clinical autists for 4 years so I could scrub toilets for the rest of my life

>debtslaves are this delusional

God, triggering Murryfats is one of my favorite past times

Enjoy your menial jobs, in a few short years you human-drones will be replaced by actual robots, while future university professors like me are irreplaceable

How much do you earn in a year?

Lowes is a chain of hardware stores.

>Programmer here, trade jobs are those that machine can't replace, for some specific reason, white storing and giving information to kids are kinda easy to do with good computers.

I'm a history major, I just find your self delusion precious.

More knowledge than you in your own life

Is this more to your taste, E*ro?

Why the >?

Marxism is not knowledge, it's the lack of it indeed

My god, I can smell the alt right cultureless murryfat from the other side of the ocean

Does your landlord let you pay in knowledge?

It's kinda easy automatize 90% of the education process, a teach is only need when people can't understand text alone or with older colleges, the rest is useless. While it's incredible hard to a computer to disable an air conditioner or repair a car.

I'm referring to non-protestant Christian theology, yes.
>STEMspergs think somebody's entire ideology must be taken seriously to take one aspect of it seriously
I've been applying Platonic pedagogy since I was myself a STEMsperg, and throughout a decade of cycles between liking Platonism and absolutely hating it.
In addition, you still don't understand how education works. No, you are not learning by reading history books. You're becoming an autist that can regurgitate 'muh fax'. Are you one of the spergs mentioned in?: >concrete
Meaningless
>useful
Why is 'use' good?
STEMspergs are absolutely ridiculous.

Sorry but teachers will never be replaced by robots

That's not what university education is, you stupid STEMsperg.
Maybe it will work for STEMspergery, where any retard with a '10 easy steps' video can educate.

That's an old hag.
I'm not e*ro

That what you are taught in college? i'm sorry for you. The onlu thing that keep non-STEM colleges alive are idiots who enter in debt because of a false hope.

There are any job for non-STEM education that is not teach or propaganda?

>knowledge
So you're a poor fuck?

Law, but you won't get anywhere without a significant degree of nepotism.

>stemspergfag is learning theology
wew lad

Law and economics are the only exception I can think.

Humanities used to have an use, when society wasn't ruled by the most popular/rich, now it's only a pyramid scheme.