I know very little of this war and I'm looking for books on the subject. Also feel free to say anything about this war...

I know very little of this war and I'm looking for books on the subject. Also feel free to say anything about this war. All I know is the Japanese defeated the Russians, marking the first time a non western power defeated a European one

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/UrUWyeH6
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

k

Probably the biggest problem for Russia during the war was the vast distance that they had to travel in order to just get their fleet to the relevant area. Now you might say, "but Russia is right next to Japan, that's not a long trip." What you must understand is that the Russian fleet is mostly clustered in the Baltic Sea and the Black Sea. Moving battleships from those areas to the Sea of Japan is a labor worthy of Hercules. By the time the ships arrived in the Sea of Japan, the Russian crews were exhausted and demoralized from the long journey. In contrast, the Japanese crews were fresh, since they were fighting just a short distance away from home. The end result was a catastrophic defeat for the Russian navy.

Makes sense, I do remember the greentext of the ineptitude of the Russian Navy

The most famous engagement of the Russo-Japanese war was the Battle of Tsushima, in which the Imperial Russian Navy was essentially obliterated. This event seriously lowered Russia's prestige among the world powers, and created a diplomatic rift between Russia and Germany. Kaiser Wilhelm II had repeatedly encouraged Tsar Nicholas II to action against Japan, but he failed to contribute anything once the war actually started. It's improbable that German assistance would have made any difference at Tsushima, but it certainly would have been helpful during the land battles.

It supposedly led to western nations believing Russia was weaker than reality because western-trained japs with more modern equipment and easier logistics defeated a fleet of ships limping across the world. I remember reading that no one allowed the Russian fleet to dock at their ports and the men were completely sick and hungry by the time a fresh japanese fleet fired at them with no warning so it's actually a miracle the Russians even survived at all. The Austrians and Germans then thought the Russians would be easy to beat in 1914 which proved wrong and deadly for many of them.

I like Japan for some of its history but this was really a one-sided conflict and the japanese should have achieved better than what they did with all the advantages they had.

The war had two very important consequences, in terms of diplomacy. It made everybody think that the Russians were weaker than they actually were, and it made the Japanese think that they were stronger than they actually were.

The Tide at Sunrise is the best book about the Russo-Japanese War. The thing that surprised me the most about this conflict was how well the Japanese treated their Russian prisoners. There's multiple accounts of Russian soldiers wanting to remain in Japan and be naturalized instead of returning to the Czarist regime.

Anybody who thinks that moving a battleship from the Baltic Sea to the Sea of Japan is an easy task has no clue what they're talking about. Back then, getting a warship to move was real fucking work. It's not like on modern warships where everything is automated.

these digits simply can't lie

Yellow Peril BTFO

Didn't the Crusades and some of the wars featuring Persia end with Eastern powers defeating Western ones?

>Tfw Jap suki think they can come and attack Mother Russia and get away with it

They fucked it up for themselves, though.
The initial plan was to use the Suez Canal like everyone else.
Then they sunk a few British citizens, screwed it up with the Royal Navy (who wouldn't normally make such a deal out of it but happened to be in a pact with Japan against Russia at the time).
No Suez Canal for them, had to go around Africa or call off the operation which was clearly not an option.

>and it made the Japanese think that they were stronger than they actually were
Has it? I know the public opinion was against the war itself and that the government knew they would have lost if it went on any longer since it almost bankrupted the state.

He should have said post-Industrial Evolution west. Western civilization only really gained the upper hand back then.

Uhhh user I hate to tell you....

The Russians were incredibly weak at every level of government and society. It was not until long after the civil war was Russia's strength closer to its potential.

The Japanese were nearly bankrupt but someone out there would have given them a loan if nothing else than to spite the Russians.

>322
>Digits confirming the Russo-Japanese war as the first in a long line of Russian throws

I love how full of themselves they were and turned into an international laughing stock afterwards.

It may be funny now, but it was huge back then. Russia was THE enemy of the British Empire. Everyone else in the world they considered to be worthless shits they could ground into dust. With Russia, they were as careful as you could possibly get and it even cost them dearly at times (like the failed invasion of Afghanistan in hopes of making sure Russia doesn't get there first and use it as a beachhead against their India).

If that's true, then why did Britain side with Russia during WW1?

>The only losses that Japan suffered during Tsushima were from sunken torpedo boats.

The enemy along the lines of being the only ones powerful enough to usurp them, not the modern perception where you vilify the crap out of everyone who looks funny your way.

For them, Earth was a chess board. Britain was on one side, Russia on the other. In a situation like that of WW1, they had absolutely no reason to be against them as that was clearly not a war aimed at taking attempting to take their spot as the strongest nation on Earth.

Also icebreaker ships weren't really developed, so they couldn't go north around Scandinavia.

OP here, mistake on my part I only realized after I hit submit

Thanks, I'll check it out! Also I'm surprised they treated their prisoners so well considering in WWII you know, they didn't.

>european one

>marking the first time a non western power defeated a European one
*askaris block your path*

>power

Italy was european but its an overstatement to call it a power

>Italy was european but its an overstatement to call it a power
that's your (wrong)opinion, the opinion of contemporaries was different

ALOT changed between the Russo Japanese war and WW2

Can fujos ever be stopped?

this bibliography OP
pastebin.com/UrUWyeH6

>typical sneaky japanese surprise attack on port arthur because they had plans for asia and didn't want russia fucking them up
>japanese soldiers only have to take a quick boat ride to support their troops
>meanwhile the russians have to transport troops across the entire continent of asia on a single rail line
>because of this single rail line it takes forever to supply soldiers or to take wounded soldiers away
>russians try to take on japanese navy by sending their crappy navy all the way to the other side of the world only to be completely btfo by the japanese
>completely embarrassed at being beaten by an asian country russia accepts the usa's role in the peace process to try and save face
>japan establishes itself as a country that can compete with european powers

>this is what russians actually believe

The fact that the surprise attack worked so well during the Russo-Japanese war surely had an impact on the Japanese decision to attack Pearl Harbor in 1941. When he hard about the initial surprise attack, Tsar Nicholas was apparently so shocked that the Russian government was unable to respond for 8 days. When the Russian government did finally respond, Japan immediately sent back a pre-planned retort saying that Russia had surprised-attacked Sweden in 1807 and therefore surprise attacks on Russia were fair-game.

Tsushima inspired pearl harbor more than port arthur i think. The total annhilation of the russian navy in one fell swoop took on legendary proportions in japanese military thinking

What Tsushima did was make Japan think that the American response to Pearl Harbor would be to take all their remaining ships and send them directly across the Atlantic to attack the Japanese mainland. When the American fleet finally arrived near Japan, the American crews would be exhausted and demoralized from the long journey across the Pacific, just as the Russians had been exhausted by their long voyage. They would also be fighting from very thinly stretched supply lines which could be torn apart by aircraft stationed on islands in the Pacific. Instead the Americans decided on a much slower strategy of "island hopping" which gave them time to build up their forces and establish firm supply-lines.

Just look at japan, persia had more opportunities than them and still got bitched while japan got good but arrogant

I blame islam, it blocks your mind and doesnt let you see far away

>When the Russian government did finally respond, Japan immediately sent back a pre-planned retort saying that Russia had surprised-attacked Sweden in 1807 and therefore surprise attacks on Russia were fair-game.
...that's actually good wit on Japan's part. They aren't this clever in their rhetoric usually.

thanks

legendary bants

Did you make this yourself?

back then japan was an up and coming power that was youthful and vigorous and with a huge growing population full of young people and adopting western models on the go. it wasn't the ossified culture and society it was today i think

the Japs also fell for their own bullshit about the fighting spirit
thinking it was their mindless infantry charges that captured Lushunkou instead of them bringing field artillery to bombard their defenses

wait WTF?! Nickie got cut up by a Japanese assassin on the forehead?? LMAO

btw, was nickie gay?