Is human empathy dying in the western world? When Elvis died...

Is human empathy dying in the western world? When Elvis died, people mourned for a long time and even made conspiracy theories to fool themselves that he wasn't dead, and whenever a genocide happened like in Serbia, people felt bad over it. Now when a star dies, people feel sad for about an hour and get over it and a lot of people seem to be laughing at the situation in Myanmar. Has the internet and news destroyed people on an emotional level?

Well, people just can't connect to anything for longer than an hour, as the internet made our attention spans shorter than ever before.

>Has the internet and news destroyed people on an emotional level?
Yup. Too much information dilute the information.

If it's not happening in America's backyard it's not a tragedy to a lot of people. I'm not defending the Muslims I'm not defending Myanmar but that's just how it is. I think it should be talked about more not because I necessary sympathize with the Muslims but I think ethnic cleansing regardless who instigated is fucking wrong. And and because of that I guess I'm a cuck for that.

The opposite
Westerners have too much compassion which break downs into nihilism when their idealism proves futile

rohingya shill thread # 3746584938

>When Elvis died, people mourned for a long time and even made conspiracy theories to fool themselves that he wasn't dead
That isn't empathy, it's insanity, see Princess Di. It isn't healthy, it's grief worship for the sake of looking good, I think people call it "virtue signalling" now

You're just hanging out too much on Veeky Forums

No one ever believed the retarded post-WW2 feel-good, humanistic, brotherhood of man. It was all a LARP. It turns out that vast majority of humans are selfish fucks and our empathy extends to "my thoughts and prayers."

Elvis cult had nothing to do with empathy.
>Myanmar
Talk shit get hit.

>If it's not happening in America's backyard it's not a tragedy to a lot of people

Implying non-Americans give a shit about hurricane Irma

Not even a lot of Americans give a shit about Irma.

DO IT AGAIN

Well, we do, it hit our fuckin' islands, windy prick.

>people cry because the cult of personality figure died
how the FUCK is this any different from North Korean professional mourners bawling when the late supreme leader Kim Jong Il died? How the FUCK do you consider this empathy, crying over a fucking icon manufactured by the music industry?

Don't worry OP. I feel you too.
Veeky Forums is full of people on the spectrum.
One of the symptoms is a lack of empathy.

I go here for interesting historical discussions but in moderation. There's good in this world- you just have to look for it.

I got destroyed emotionally by watching hundreds of Syria videos and I can't bring myself to care about anything. Too much information is a curse.

Actually, I empathize with people in third world countries more than I ever will with first worlders now. Fuck American liberals for ruining any idealism I had.

DUDE CAPITALISM LMAO

desensitizing it on the internet is nothing compared to the real thing though. if you saw an old lady get mauled by a dog in real life that's a personal experience. it's easy af to sit behind a computer screen and watch some baby in Syria murder prisoners for ISIS, not as easy in real life when it's your people.

t. person dealing with traumatic experiences

>people seem to be laughing at the situation in Myanmar.
To be fair, the muzzies deserve to be wiped out. If you act like dogs, you get exterminated like them, desusenpai

>I think ethnic cleansing regardless who instigated is fucking wrong.
"Ethnic" or not each death is a bonus at this point.