Athens used Scythian slaves as a police force

>Athens used Scythian slaves as a police force

How the fuck did that work?

>eyo nigger I'll let you be the big boy in town and feed you if you make sure no one starts trouble

>92229
nice pali

I've learned that it wasn't that common though, but it is true.

Mycenans used South Italians for that role

I imagine that the slaves were probably given special privileges in order to ensure their loyalty.

They weren't a police force. Problem solved.

It's a little more complicated than that, though. If you want to compare them with modern American law enforcement, you could consider them this way:

They were 300 public slaves who carried out a limited number of functions that are typically performed by Sheriff's deputies or the State Police. Specifically, they would receive orders to arrest people, manage crowds, protect public buildings, and eject disruptive people from public assemblies.

>arrest people, manage crowds, protect public buildings, and eject disruptive people from public assemblies.

That's like 99% of what police actually do.

No.

Modern police forces are separate institutions, have a crime fighting function, and enjoy special privileges and responsibilities not afforded to regular citizens.

The Scythian slaves, who we mostly know from comedy plays, are fundamentally different. This difference eliminates the issue that concerns the OP.

The Scythian slaves did not constitute a separate institution. They did not have their own policies and decision making authority. They do not appear to have conducted criminal investigations or had any inherent responsibility to proactively combat crime.

You don't see them setting their own agenda. You don't see them actively talking to witnesses, gathering evidence, and submitting cases for charging. As slaves, they didn't even have inherent authority to arrest and prosecute anyone; they were public slaves subordinate to the citizens that would direct them.

Law enforcement in Athens was performed by the citizens, who would also make use of citizen-run institutions.

In terms of what occupies a policeman's day, it depends on the function they serve in their police department.

A municipal policeman doesn't perform arrests in the same way the Scythians did; I imagine most arrests they make are going to come about from a proactive investigation. They'd be out on patrol, and either observe some traffic infractions or respond to a report of a criminal incident, and then gather enough grounds to independently make an arrest and submit criminal charges. Along with that goes paperwork and court appearances.

The Skythian approach would be closer to operations where deputies go out and attempt to execute a large number of warrants issued by the judiciary. Even then, though, the deputies are part of an independent institution that has set its own agenda and has broader power and responsibilities.

Bro that sounds fucking awesome. So they were basically playing Assassin's Creed, running through the streets taking down perps they'd been assigned by their masters? Could they mow down niggas who fled the scene with their bows?

Even though they're referred to as archers, it seems that the 300 slaves only carried a whip.

Do you think that makes them sound less badass? Because it don't!

Come on man, this is Athenians we're talking about. If they had an Athenian "police force" subject to the same checks as every other public office you'd be setting the stage for even more lawsuits. The review at the end of their terms would be a massive shitstorm where everyone they charged would accuse them of brutality and arbitrary arrest. Athens' courts were just incompatible with a civilian police force.

>lose war
>the people who beat you command you to start whipping them

That's some S&M shit

Then how were they supposed to catch suspects, I feel like it would be really easy to outrun a slave who is probably underfed and weak.

There were also administrative slaves at places like the treasury that likely worked and had access to coins all day. why did they use them: because using free citizens in those positions could cause a conflict of interest and they were less secured. Using slaves as literal public servants meant that you didn't have to necessarily pay them a salary, and that they couldn't abuse their powers and then run away to another city-state as a political refugee once they piss off the polis, as more often and not their slave status inherently meant they would have to be returned. They likely didn't know most of the citizens personally, so they wouldn't abuse their powers to make sure to confriscate some citizen's house during an arrest and destroy it out of a grudge.

most criminals in a urban polis would also be malnourished and weak. luckily one of the key features of why they used Scythians was to have a force of archers that they could use as guards and for stopping civil disobedience, so they could form a volley at one of the city's checkpoints and shoot your bitchass, and once wounded and capture, they'll let you die of exposure by a blood-less public Crucifixion.

I suppose they would also counted as part of the cities defense in times of war. It's not like they would have gone 'Soldiering? Tis not my job!'

By slaves you mean they had their dick cut off?

no

The word you're looking for is eunuch