Is nihilism the logical endpoint of thought?

Not edgy or memetic nihilism, but a genuine, simple sense that little, if anything, matters a great deal, and that life itself is shallow, vapid, and devoid of meaning on the whole.

For example, looking at others around you, yourself, or society overall. Seeing people in severe debt, depression, bad situations, or generally hopeless environments, struggling to change their status to no avail. "What's the point?"

Is it a flaw in thinking to arrive at the conclusion that nothing means anything, or is it the natural conclusion to philosophical thought?

>Why are we here?
>-Why does it matter?

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=MBRqu0YOH14
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

tl;dr: I'm 14 and I am very smart

FBPB

first best post best?

No, it is not the endpoint.

Discovering that life is meaningless and that nothing really matters is a step to enlightenment and will give you the mindset to focus on what makes you happy in the short time that you are alive.

Instead of worrying about the petty and inconsequential, your mind will be primed to see beyond those situations and from a deeper perspective.

Nihilism is a fucking shit philosophy.

If life is truely meaningless, so what? By the simple action of thinking about life itself, you have made it meaningful. It may not have been made with meaning, but what what really matters is what meaning we give it. Making choices, having thought, that is what makes life meaningful.

Why are we here? I don't know, but I'll make a reason for my existance
Why does it matter? Because we give it meaning, because we have thought.

Nihilism is a struggle all of man faces at one point, the challenge is to overcome it and give life meaning, for me I turned back to Christ and fight for the continuation of my people

nihilism is a spook

The fact that nihilism produces such a strong, immediate and primal counter-reaction while still being ultimately unrefuted makes me think there must be something to it. At best, opponents can only offer solutions such as that work within the nihilist framework, while most just instinctively hurl insults.

tbqh determinism keeps me up at night more than nihilism

Why? I've never understood the appeal of "free will", seems like such a goofy concept that adds nothing to our lived experiences.

The fact that 90% of my emotions are stupid and unjustifiable fucks with me pretty badly.
I suppose i could rationalise a few but at the end of the day i have to face the fact that i don't believe or want x because of the rationalisation, i want it because i'm a retarded animal following instincts that don't necessarily benefit me in any way.

>that adds nothing to our lived experiences
it adds everything to your lived experiences when its YOU who decided upon how to act them.

The fact that the only difference between me and a robot is that my programming algorithms involves organic chemical reactions developed by ~4 billion years of natural selection rather than some nerd in silicon valley really fucks with me.

Nihilism is a fun idea, but it's overruled by biological instinct. Therefore there is objective point in reality, such as the drive to stay alive, the drive to get laid, the drive to conquer.

If nihilism was objectively correct every human could just lay down and die on the spot

>shallow, vapid, and devoid of meaning
Sounds more like an emotional vapid reaction than thought.

Spoiler alert: the notion of "free will" is a purely religious one. It's been invented to blur instincts and to make defiance towards instincts second nature in men.
I'm not kidding, if you're not religious you have no more reason to worry about "free will" than about the sex of angelts, it's a theological question.

There are humans that do that. Check fucking m8o

t. Bartleby

>nihilism

Isn't pic related stoicism?

>if something was correct everyone would know or care

If you dont believe in god or a similar higher power that could outlive humanity and the universe, then nihilism is the logical conclusion.
People just need to realize that nihilism doesnt automatically mean that you should jump from a bridge. I believe in nihilism and i have no rational fear of death, but i wont kill myself just because of that. I still have a survival instinct, and I still want to see what life has in store for me.
However the nihilism gives me reassurance that if everything goes shit I can just kill myself and my failures wont leave a lasting effect on the world.

Why make your own existence? Nothing we accomplish or earn in life goes with us.

Why do we need to give it meaning if it's fleeting and temporary?

This. I'm not trying to sound like some MCRFanxxx from Deviantart here, but nihilism does seem fairly unrefuted. The typical arguments are "make your own meaning" or "if you think about life you give it meaning so it's self-contradicting", but nothing ever answers the one question posed by nihilism above all others; what's the point? What is the reason for caring why we're here, for thinking about life, our situation, and doing anything about or in regards to it?

m.youtube.com/watch?v=MBRqu0YOH14

Read Human, all too human by Nietzsche and find the answers yourself

It's what you get when logical thought ends :)

Nihilism - no meaning, no truth, no significance

Op attitude - bad meaning, bad truth, bad significance

If you think life is shit and worthless that's not nihilism, life is just meaningfully bad for you

Agreed.

I think what defeats nihilism is experiencing nihilism and then learning to value your own subjective comfort, enjoyment, and desires. Nihilism comes about when a person realizes objectivity is a nigh impossibility, except in the case of mathematics (which are non-objective, abstract symbols with albeit rigid functionalities), and reality-testing (which has ultimately been broken down and defeated by quantum theory postulating that the foundation of reality is inherently fuzzy and malleable).

Nihilism is a stepping stone, not an end of itself by any means.

However, when you are physically, mentally, chemically anguished and depressed, Nihilism BECOMES your inescapable reality, and it only reinforces itself by reinforcing your depression.

It's a nasty bugger when utilized improperly. A necessary and wonderful bugger when utilized with agency and positivism on the thinker's part.

Even then, a robot's programming is entirely branched off from the programming of that Silicon Valley nerd. If not the robot's programming itself, then the foundation for its learning algorithm, which will ultimately be subjected to the same selective pressures as you are.

>turned back to Christ
Have fun having your descendants return to humanism in a few generations.

Nihilism is the middlepoint, whatever ism you have next after that is the endpoint.

everything we know about your """""religion""""" is completely made up by christian sources

Modern Paganism comes from what Christians wrote, you are literally our creation.

>Not edgy or memetic nihilism, but a genuine, simple sense that little, if anything, matters a great deal, and that life itself is shallow, vapid, and devoid of meaning on the whole.

I thought Nihilism was saying "yeah all that shit is true, whatcha going to do about it faggot?" Overcoming despair and making it your bitch through struggle and work. Who gives a fuck if it doesn't matter in the end, we're not at the end point. But whatevs, the stars will grow cold and all matter will degenerate as entropy consumes all so might as well kill myself now. Bye.

I'm superdeterminism and a fatalist so it doesn't keep me up at night.

It is a stoppingpoint for those who cant excell further.

Nihilism is for children, absurdism is for adults.

Thats absurdism.

Why do you breath? Because it feels good or something.

There, now you have a purpose.

If instinctive behavior doesn't count, you can find meaning in abstract concepts that help you fulfil your instinctive desires, like developing social skills so you can go out drinking with Chad and Brad and chase tail.

Breathing only feels good because my brain thinks it does, not because it's objectively good. Abstract desires are also false.

No. Embrace the absurd.

get peterson'd nerd.

People Misusing The Word Nihilism: The Thread