Why Bancor, Unless it Changes, will be Pump and Dump Nightmare for Investors

Bancor has a innovative solution to a real problem: low liquidity in small currencies. They solve the liquidity problem of small, rarely traded currencies by using a reserve currency and smart contracts. This ensures that coins will always have value and can always be exchanged. This in theory helps small, less traded currencies benefit from the crypto revolution.

For instance, Johnson Family Corn could issue a JFC coin to insure against crop failure. In this instance the coin is replacing futures contract but the set-up is basically the same. JFC could fund the seeding and watering of the crop and make sure the Johnson’s make money. Investors might prefer this to buying corn futures because at any point they could break the contract and be guaranteed money in the reserve currency. It is actually a fantastic scheme in this regard. You could really see small operations benefiting.

The problem is that the price function of Bancor based currencies will attract market manipulators. The class Pump-And-Dump is not only easier to do but a lot safer to do, ensuring it will occur often if steps aren’t taken by Bancor now.

Other urls found in this thread:

steemit.com/scams/@roosterred/why-bancor-unless-it-changes-will-be-pump-and-dump-nightmare-for-investors
youtu.be/MJOh0iVrZWo?t=8m12s
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

What is a Pump-And-Dump Scheme?

Scam artists basically just raise the price of an asset through buying it and hyping it and then sell at the high point. They leave the people they duped “holding the bags” with an asset that is now worth a lot less. These schemes are normally very risky to pull off. The Pump-And-Dumper risks being a bag holder himself and losing a lot of money.

With the Bancor price model and smart contracts the Pump-And-Dumper’s job is much easier and less risky. See the first image for the Bancor price model. As coins are bought the price will naturally go up and as coins are sold the price will naturally go down (for a CRR less than one, which basically all coins will have). The Pump-And-Dumper buys low and, if he is successful in raising the price enough, he doesn’t even have to trade the coin to stooges (he can), he can just break the contract and abscond with an almost risk free profit. He also gets to exit at the highest point. How nice for the scam artist.

The almost risk free profit is the key here. Successful Pump-And-Dumpers who can hype coins well are guaranteed a profit. Bancor will attract them in droves unless it takes measures to address this.

Tip me 10% of what You make or Save! Bancor owes me a lot!
LITECOIN (LTC): LY7JmLzQrStaZpo69u2P5Qgv5zUyjwMGyk

Your friend,
RoosterRed

tfw brainlet

i dont understand how it makes things easier for the initial pumper than the current system

>Tip me 10% of what You make or Save! Bancor owes me a lot!
>LITECOIN (LTC): LY7JmLzQrStaZpo69u2P5Qgv5zUyjwMGyk
kys

>the price is guaranteed to rise as people buy
>the pumper is guaranteed an exit, so his losses are minimized
>if he gets enough people to buy he is guaranteed a profit with no risk. He doesn't have to worry about getting people to buy his coins, he can just break the contract
It is literally easier on the pumper on every single level

this doesn't account for people taking profits while he pumps. he can't rely on buying his own coins up and has to put his BNT/ETH out of his hands into the contract. someone will realise and dump on him.

That could happen, but he always has an exit, and will never been completely fucked like in the current system. You've basically just pointed out that it is theoretically possible for the pumper to lose money if he sucks or is found out. That doesn't address the fact that he still takes a lot less risk pumping Bancor backed currency than a normal one.

The point is that the Bancor system will attract a lot more Pumpers than other ones. It is easier to do. It is less risky to do. Good pumpers, ones that just get people to buy, are guaranteed profit after a point because the price function naturally rises.

user thanks, I thought price manipulation would not be such an issue in bancor but im glad we will not lose the opportunity to profit from pnds

If you make or save money by using my information you need to send some back my way! 10%

jk I don't want scammer money

Don't give up Biz! We will all get Lambos together! However, the market is changing, and rationality will return. You need good information and analysis. That is what I give.

Anything other than litecoin?

Bancor is my next bag. Will male regulatory compliant assets and attract jnstitutional investment over the next couple of years. So cheap right now too. Sucks if you fomo'd the ico though.

Monero: 48nXBajorzkZLeotCBw1XgYaUgENGuxS1hhK75hoGgUSQVHsoVa3EWj86EvqKjeorUY77SVu8fj8TPevfz3dnmX567djac2

What do you use? I was thinking about BTC, ZCash, and RDD (ReddID would really help content producers IMO).

I honestly have an old computer and it takes forvever to get synced to anything. Monero took two days.

Simply don't buy dumb shit projects like Johnson Family Corn then.

OP is blowing things out of proportion. Arguing against increased liquidity is a double edged sword, small investors are also given the ability to sell out immediately as well.

You are also missing out on addressing the coinholders of failed projects that go nowhere. They now have the option to sell. Somebody holding more than 5% of the float of a stock has to report to the SEC, but with all crypto in general, this does not happen.

The problem at it's core is not only with Bancor, but with all crypto. The increased liquidity comes with some types of risk, but increased liquidity is a great feature to have in many other applications.

I think it has a lot of positive attributes. I initially dismissed it. It will have major pump and dump problems though unless it takes measures to prevent it. It is just economic incentives. Basically math. The Bancor pricing model will attract scam artists to Bancor backed coins right now.

>OP is blowing things out of proportion.
I'm really not. Pump and Dump groups, and their are several, would be idiots not to target Bancor backed coins. It is just reality. And, yes, victims of pump and dumps are shielded from total loss too, but losing 3/4ths of your money is 3/4ths as bad as losing it all. It still sucks.

Just think: they couldn't even hold the price floor of their own token. They lost millions to people gaming their smart contract.

At least pump and dumps have some identifiable features. The price spike would be massive on low value projects, and people would hesitate at this red flag. Part of investing is valuating the asset before buying, not just randomly buying some project. If the project was valid in the first place, it will assume a certain price the gap after the dump should fill or else you have been buying an asset that was overvalued in the first place.

For the easiness you see for p 'n d groups, they have an extra set of problems.

Just don't fall for pump and dumps. Know what you are buying. Bancor is a slow rolling ball, but with all the 100's of projects and ico's I see it becoming an overall successful coin this year.

>Will male regulatory compliant assets
They aren't providing specifics of this yet but you can find proof. LDJ Capital are advising them.

Good, rather that that it go sideways all the fucking time

Finally a chance to dump my bags

This works for savvy traders, but how long until being a Bancor backed coin scares normies away? Like I said here, , it really does have a lot of positive attributes too. I am glad I forced myself to carefully go through the whitepaper.

I know this will be a major problem in the Bancor ecosystem unless steps are taken. It also seemed like the perfect thing to monetize, as few people really understand these issues, and I think a market is emerging for analysts like me (somewhere above most YouTube personalities). If not for getting tips, then for consulting. I don't have 100 BTC to fall back on. My trading is good, but I am basically grinding in real life. Got to make opportunities yourself if you want to live the Lambo life.

The price floor was meant to be for people who bought the ico and want out. It was a nice way to assure the investors wouldn't get dumped on early on. Also you forget that the price floor took out A LOT of bancor from the circulation for 2 years. Meaning every bancor right now is much more valuable for 2 years because supply is so low

I think even the most novice traders are wary of pump and dumps. It is one of the first concepts learned.

The measure in place is that Bancor backed coins are not 100% backed. It is in the range of 5%, 10%, 80% etc. Bancor can also create tokens that are a certain percentage of say, BTC or another crypto. The liquidity is not as drastic as it's made out to be because for example, stox is going to be 4% backed by Bancor soon, but if you liquidate it, you will only get that 4% back... The problem is only about 4% as large as you are making it out to be in this case.

>The problem is only about 4% as large as you are making it out to be in this case.
How many bags are you holding? This is just ridiculous.

Post your article to the telegram

>telegram
I honestly am not familiar with that platform.
I put it here:
steemit.com/scams/@roosterred/why-bancor-unless-it-changes-will-be-pump-and-dump-nightmare-for-investors

You want them to address it so take the 5 minutes to set it up. Then they and a few thousand of their supporters will see it.

They'll see it. What turned me off to them is the fucking shrills they pay to spam this board everyday. I was surprised when they were legitimate.

There's no proof of them being paid anywhere.

Have you read how bad their arguments are? I was drunk off my ass, hadn't read the whitepaper, and completely shitshowed three of them. If they aren't shrills, they are the dumbest motherfuckers investing in crypto.

Have you read it now?

Have some balls and post your article in the telegram. They will ignore it otherwise.

Which also brings up some very good advice, user. Always do the independent research. Never assume anyone you talk to online knows what they are talking about unless they have proven themselves.Their are idiots everywhere. Their are really bad arguments for really good ideas.

At their own peril then. I'm cool. It is out there on gab, here, and SteemIt. I'll continue reposting to market myself, and to help other anons, especially the less mathematically savvy. You'd be surprised how many "smart people" -- good schools, successful -- actually can't think in economic incentive terms. People like me are really fucking useful.

There are people with 150+ Verbal IQs who consistently misuse there/their/they're. Life is funny.

>Have you read it now?
Did you read the OP? Yes. READ. TIP.

Post it to telegram you autismo pussy. I want to see the argument

You'll have to wait until it builds steam. It will. Rationality and math always win in the end.

Disappointing user. You only have the confidence in your article to argue with Veeky Forumstards. You said you want it addressed, so make it happen.

Look faggot, youdont have to write a paragraph shilling your shit coin, just tell us the date of the pump and dump

lol
You have no idea how the real world works. You try to debate business people and they have sly mouthed snakes throw 100 logical fallacies at you and declare the debate over (for shareholder interest). You have to solidify truth and make them come to you. I am just as sharp as those snakes companies like Bacor hire, sharper, and playing their game on their terms is idiotic. The funny thing is, I am doing them a favor, and if they were honest they would TIP me 1 Million dollars or more.

It is worth the read, but you have the right idea when it comes to Veeky Forums right now. Give this one a read though.

Up the medication.

youtu.be/MJOh0iVrZWo?t=8m12s

See, this very well could be a shrill. Present a logical argument based on math and basic economic incentives and a disinformation campaign will be waged against you. Declaring someone crazy is a basic strategy. Do yourselves a favor and read the OP. Then read posts like this.

Yes, watch this and then read the OP if you suck at math. You'll still side with me.

You wrote all that to say pump and dumps can happen on bancor if people fall for manipulation. Wow, thanks for the insight. They should definitely pay you 1 million.

They will if they are honest.

Look in your steemit comments. There's your opportunity to earn and not expect a handout.