Is the age of serial killers over?

Is the age of serial killers over?
What caused so many of them to be active at one point in time?
How come there arent any accounts of serial killers before 1900?

Other urls found in this thread:

economist.com/news/united-states/21656725-police-fail-make-arrest-more-third-nations-killings-getting-away
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghosting_(identity_theft)
decodedc.com/how-many-unsolved-murders-are-there-in-the-u-s/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M25_cat_killer
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>How come there arent any accounts of serial killers before 1900?

Could you at least put little bit effort in your b8, m8?

Name 3

There are still a lot of serial killers. It's just not a popular thing to report on them anymore. Right now politics is hot.

>Is the age of serial killers over?
By large, yes. Advancement in forensic science makes getting away with one murder very difficult.

This actually isn't the case, most murders go unsolved.

Is there such a thing as dangerous truths and is it wrong to share them?

When you say that are you talking stray shots in the hood or cold calculated killings?

Clearance rate hovers around 65%.
economist.com/news/united-states/21656725-police-fail-make-arrest-more-third-nations-killings-getting-away

Elizabeth Bathory
Darya Nikolayevna Saltykova
Gesche Gottfried
John Lynch
Mary Ann Cotton
Maria Swanenburg
Austin Axe Murderer
Henry Howard Holmes
Joseph Vacher

You are talking out of your ass. More than 98% of cases got solved.

Barring some oddball cases, murders nowadays got unsolved only when the police badly screws up the job on site. Either due to incompetence or malicious intent.

t.lawyer

There's still some in the third world where police work isn't on par with Europe/the US. Every once in a while, one might show up there also but there won't be much of a report on them (partially because of sensationalism, partially because the hot interesting thing now is mass shooters/terrorism/race related crimes and combinations of all of those). Also, it's much easier to get your fix of depravity thanks to the internet without needing to go out and kill/rape, or whatever

That's not 3

>I'm a lawyer
Stick to corporate law mate you don't know shit about criminal cases. Even the FBI admits to a shitty clear rate. Some of the nastier cities are WELL under fifty percent.

It is 3 x 3.

Can you even count? He asked for 3 names but you gave him more than 3, you stupid fuck

Yes, it is. But it's not 3.
You didn't do what was asked of you

I am not an American, which may explain that.

Oh, well shit, carry on then.

>Elizabeth Bathory
This meme

>Is the age of serial killers over?
somewhat. there's still plenty of them around but they don't really grab the medias attention nowadays as much as say, terrorist or mass shooters do.
>What caused so many of them to be active at one point in time?
murder rates were higher in the past anyways, so there were more of them.

I would imagine a good portion of those are one-off murders, in crime plagued communities leery of involvement and cooperation with police.

Ah, so you're in one of those countries where the police mark a murder as a suicide if they can't solve it?

Serial killers are gay. The age of the school shooting sperg out is way better.
Angsty incel rage against the system >>>> cold calculated nihilism

>le serial killers are cold blooded and cerebral maymay
Most of them are brainlets.

There was never any "age of serial killers", it was a media invention.

Jack the Ripper
the Servant Girl Annihilator
almost every highwayman/ robber

>Angsty incel rage against the system >>>> cold calculated nihilism

You mean we've moved from mommy issues to daddy issues

mkultra tbdesu

Veeky Forums, the post

meant for

Maybe they just got smarter and aren't getting caught as often. Sleep tight.

Ronald dominique, grim sleeper, lisk, around 500 unsolved mirder a relating to truckers, tonnes of black serial killers the media never report on

Serial killing really took off with the car and it's still thriving today

We just had a serial killer captured in Phoenix a few months ago. You're just a retard who thinks serial killing stopped because the media stopped making a reality show out of it like in the 70s and 80s.

Not anyone involved in this discussion, I think OP is referring to serial killers who kill just because they're nuts, not as part of some kind of gang activity. My thinking is it was just a time where we had enough technology for mass media to report these cases and for the people to get caught but still little enough technology for these people to go on for a bit first.

murderers aren't usually that calculated, they tend to be fucktarded faggots who just kill some bugger they brought home so they can fondle their corpse and cut it up.

>Saltykova
Indeed, she was really salty

Yeah, the ones who get caught.

in the 60's you had

- less police oversight
- vast suburban sprawling complexes often with bike paths or trails interlinking them with very limited police oversight
- people could still vanish for years at a time without anybody else noticing, esp. if they were on the fringes. now even whores have facebook pages.
- no portable phones
- no safety initiatives
- faking or using dead people's (think miscarried babies) SSNs was a lot easier so you could literally craft new identities for yourself that others would buy. Nowadays the government has a giant database tracking every SSN in the country and they tightly control what new ones are issued. That wasn't the case in the 60s.
- no fingerprint databases
- forensics science was still in its infant stages
- investigative work has more oversight nowadays. Once upon a time missing persons cases could languish for decades in a box on a shelf somewhere nobody paid attention to. Nowadays not only are the investigators pushing themselves to track every case they can but dedicated forums of internet autists who's life is this will pester LE about it if they don't.

Nowadays there's just so many ways to get caught. Once long-haul truckers get replaced with robots it's over, man.

Also, police were shit back then and serial killings went undetected. How retarded do you have to be to assume the past must have had the same level of police competence as the present

Heh neat post friend I hope our friends at Reddit see this cool example of our conraderie and culture :^)

Get out

>Live in semi-big city in Indiana
>Middle of the presidential race so all the news is politics
>Haven't heard of any killings/shootings in my area in my entire life
>Find out a severed pair of legs was found in a trashcan in the streets of a street near mine
>These were the third pair of legs found
How the fuck am I supposed to know if I go out past 10 my legs will be severed from my body if the news only cares about politics?

It's kind of obvious
>pre-modern policing serial killers go undetected
>begin to be caught in the 1800s through to the modern day
>recently they often don't even get to kill multiple times since DNA and forensics have come on the scene.

>More than 98% of cases got solved.

objectively false you fucking retard

Hey, fellow Hoosier!

They just aren't serialized/televised as before. As we all know now, serial killers love attention.

The modern equivalent of serial killers would be youtube/twich celebrities.

that's what the 2nd amendment is for, cuck

>youtube/twitch celebrities
I was expecting you to go the mass shooter route but this was much funnier

Serial killers are still out there though.

Newspapers are merely forbidden from reporting on them to root out the problem of attention-whore killers like the Zodiac.

>What caused so many of them to be active at one point in time?

Nothing, it's just that the TV media had made a point of reporting on every single case they could find.

>How come there arent any accounts of serial killers before 1900?

Because you're too lazy to check newspaper archives you fat fuck.

That's not how it works. Serial killers don't give a shit about that, they kill because they want to not because they have a goal.

Check local police reports then.

I think serial killers just get caught faster these days due to technological advances. Virtually every human being in the West has a cell phone that logs their every social interaction and movement. 30 years ago Gary Ridgeway killed dozens of whores because nobody had a clue where the bitches were disappearing to. Nowadays, the cops can subpoena cell phone logs, security cam footage... fucking On Star records, even. Guys might get in two or three kills before they get clipped. Mostly it's just one because contrary to popular belief, serial killers have generally lower than normal IQs. They used to just get lucky because catching them depended solely upon the detective skills of a bunch of low rent assholes who didn't really care if gays or prostitutes got the shit murdered out of them.

I mean, most whores use backpage.com these days. Good luck getting away with your phone number and text messages stored all over a dead hooker's cell phone records.

Miscarried fetuses don't have SS numbers, you goddamned mongoloid.

Gary Ridgeway killed the living shit out of whores like they were going out of style for 15+years and never sought attention. In fact, he avoided that shit like the plague. He might have been borderline retarded, but he was smart enough to know that any interaction with cops was a bad thing.

People have tried to develop a sort of unified theory for serial killers for decades and none of them have ever born up under scrutiny. The only thing they have in common is that they kill people. The theory that they're smarter than the general public is wrong; most of them are actually slightly dumber than normal. The theory that they come from broken homes is shit; so does half the fucking continent. The animal cruelty connection has a little merit until you realize that virtually every adolescent boy out there has kicked the fuck out of a dog or tossed firecrackers at a cat at some point or another; that sort of thing seems to come stock with the balls. Even the myth that most serial killers are white is bullshit. They tend to represent most racial groups at pretty much the same ratios as the general population.

There is really no constant with these people. They all have different motives. Some kill as part of sexual play, some kill just for the hell of it. Some taunt the cops, some keep their cards as close to their chests as possible. That's what used to make them so hard to catch. If every serial killer was a white male between the ages of 25 and 40 with an IQ if 118, an absent father and domineering mother and a hardon for women who looked like that first girl to jerk them off in high school, they'd be fucking easy to catch. As things turn out, they're usually just anonymous losers.

>hurr

My post didn't imply that, autist.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghosting_(identity_theft)

Now end your life.

Are you fucking retarded?

>faking or using dead people's (think miscarried babies) SSNs was a lot easier

That's you. Being fucking retarded and saying that miscarried babies have SS numbers.

>serial killers take their phones with them when they go kill

Prove it then dope. Don't forget to count all the crimes that are never reported, or that are assigned to the wrong cause.

According to government data released Thursday, Dec. 8, 2016, drug overdose deaths in the U.S. surpassed 50,000 in 2015, the highest mark in at least 15 years. More than 50,000 Americans died from drug overdoses last year, the most ever.

An estimated 88,0008 people (approximately 62,000 men and 26,000 women8) die from alcohol-related causes annually, making alcohol the third leading preventable cause of death in the United States. ... In 2014, alcohol-impaired driving fatalities accounted for 9,967 deaths (31 percent of overall driving fatalities).

I used to hang out with a guy who did forensic IT. Yes. Murderers take their phones with them when they kill. No shit.

Look, people who set out to kill other people generally come in one of two varieties. They're either dumb as fuck and represent the majority of murder suspects or they're slightly above average intelligence. Smart people, really smart people, generally don't kill other people because they think shit through to the point that they realize they probably can't get away with it.

Some of the shit that guy talked about... it's like if your IQ is above about 100, you shouldn't even be considered a suspect in most murders. These mongs were doing shit like taking pics of their victims and texting them to their homies. That shit can be extracted from a phone's memory or a server for months. Years, sometimes. Usually, somebody would just show up at the department with a pic of a murder victim that they got chain-texted to them at 4am.

Murderers are fucking stupid.

WENDY C. REGOECZI, LESLIE W. KENNEDY, ROBERT A. SILVERMAN

Homicide Studies

Vol 4, Issue 2, pp. 135 - 161

First published date: July-24-2016

Q.E.D. you fucking homo

>my one source proves my impossible to verify claim!

You are a true dope.

murderers =/= serial killers

decodedc.com/how-many-unsolved-murders-are-there-in-the-u-s/

Smart phones, the greatest crime catcher technology of 21st century. One would think that even the most idiotic simpleton would understand that you should not take selfies while doing something extremely illegal.

>ctrl+F "98%"
>not found

Great source, really supports your claim.

Are you mentally challenged? I could dozens of others peer reviewed papers that show the very easy to verify claim that less than 98% of murders get solved. Your retarded point about non-reported crimes would only LOWER the actual percentage.

Seriously, you are stupid as bricks.

And yet people do all the time. Some dopes even record their whole crime sprees, there was even some mong who uploaded his crimes to worldstar hiphop for e-fame.

I AM ARGUING AGAINST THE 98% CLAIM YOU FUCKING MENTALLY IMPAIRED RETARD.

Seriously what the fuck are you doing here if you cant even read? GO BACK TO FUCKING PRESCHOOL YOU SUBHUMAN FAGGOT

You claimed more than 98% of cases are closed, now you're telling me that you don't know this at all, it's just a guess, and you think I'M the idiot? Here's a protip: Don't make idiot claims you can't prove, it might make you look less like an idiot (although I doubt it).

Your source doesn't say refute the 98% claim you special ed reject.

Never, not once, did I make such a claim. Your inability to fucking read or quote the right post does not make me an idiot.
Please just kill yourself to save yourself any further embarrassment.

> murderers =/= serial killers

Look at those people. There is no real difference other than the numbers and motives. Not even that, really. There are guys walking around out there who have killed half a dozen random guys who happened to oppose or threaten or just annoy them. We call them "gangstas", but they pretty much qualify as serial killers. Multiple victims, similar motives between victims, cool down period between murders.... serial killers.

Serial killers are not the evil super geniuses the media sells. Usually, they're pretty stupid. Just like most violent criminals.

All my sources do that. Stop posting right fucking now and take a reading course.

>can't prove his claims
>gets assblasted

Top kek, what a dope!

No, they don't. Just asserting the same incorrect claim repeatedly doesn't make it compelling, it just proves what a dope you are.

>I was just pretending to be retarded

give it up kid

>Smart people, really smart people, generally don't kill other people because they think shit through to the point that they realize they probably can't get away with it.
This is true, but what about taking advantage of a natural disaster like a hurricane or earthquake to murder someone? They can make it look like a robbery gone wrong and the lack of power and infrastructure makes it hard to have suspects when it could've been anyone during the chaos.

how embarrassed did you feel when you realized your mistake?

It's very obvious that you're NOT pretending. Sad!

>illiterate
>still can't prove his claims

Top kek, the dope is still at it!

Actually, yes. Yes they are.

Digital technology is omnipresent and omniscient. Everywhere you go, there is a camera, GPS receiver and broadband-capable transceiver right next to your dick. You carry a better activity tracker than most parolees do when they walk around with ankle bracelets.

And most people are too stupid to realize that shit. We've become so accustomed to digital technology that we don't even notice it. Really stupid people even forget that the information they record with that technology can be accessed by anyone with the right tools.

Think of the average time between mayor hurricanes, earthquakes and other disasters that cause total interruptions in basic police services and then compare that with the generally shit impulse control violent criminals exhibit.

I know, but imagine someone who has enough impulse control to bide their time and wait for the perfect opportunity to strike.

Albert Fish, caught in 1903 active in the decades before that.
Jack the Ripper
Jackie Chan

Hannibal Lecter is fiction. Most murderers do not have enough impulse control to wait for the perfect opportunity to strike, which is why they usually end up in prison.

Someone who has enough impulse control doesn't become serial killer to start with.

'I think it was his eye! yes, it was this! He had the eye of a vulture –a pale blue eye, with a film over it. Whenever it fell upon me, my blood ran cold; and so by degrees – very gradually –I made up my mind to take the life of the old man, and thus rid myself of the eye forever.'

Well that's the ones you hear about and who are stupid enough to give the cops a murder case to begin with
It is not unlikely that there were and still are serial killers that just found a good way to let it all look like natural deaths or disappearances.

why is this ugly cunt considered "handsome"?

Its easier than ever to be a serial killer

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M25_cat_killer

this guy has recently killer 240 + cats, and still no closer to catching him

It's just that moden society domesticates and creates beta males who dont have the alpha male instinct to kill. So we dont have serial killers.

killing cats doesn't make you a serial killer

>The animal cruelty connection has a little merit until you realize that virtually every adolescent boy out there has kicked the fuck out of a dog or tossed firecrackers at a cat at some point or another
pls dont be true i lub dog

Every know and then you hear about people working in hospitals killing patients. I'm sure there are some that don't get caught.

I've read this story but I'm drawing a blank. Title?

The Tell-tale Heart

Oh yeah. Thanks.

1581, Peter Nirsch was convicted of 520 murders, cannibalism, black magic and some other shady shit.
His skin was flayed from him, they tore his flesh to pieces with red hot pincers, then they broke all bones in his body and slung him on a wheel and let him die there. apparently they forced him to drink beer, so he would stay alive long enough so the birds could have a go at his eyes and other soft parts.

Hahaha that's pretty funny, thanks user!