Why do humans think? Biologically its a useless feature. Every other living being on this planet runs without thinking...

Why do humans think? Biologically its a useless feature. Every other living being on this planet runs without thinking. Why are we the only thinking animal?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/_G6eH1KDl0s
journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/0956797616641943
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

How do you know animals don't think?

>Biologically its a useless feature
is it not the greatest feature

>Biologically its a useless feature.

I guess we became the dominant life form on earth by fluke.

All of our thoughts/rationalization are post-action rationalization, not other way around. There's no soul that controls the body, the idea of control is simply an illusion in neuroscience.

Thinking is not a feature. Are brains are only different from animals in their complexity. Thinking is an illusion generated by a complex mind.

Big human brain > tiny animal brain

>Every other living being on this planet runs without thinking

This is not true. Perhaps you do though...

>humans are the only life forms that think on earth
How are you so stupid OP?

>are brains

We have conquered the planet with our ability to think.

No, we conquered our planets with our ability to calculate/plan ahead with our big brains. Thoughts/rationalizations afterwards come into play after the events.

Remember, causaility? Unless you believe in some sort of etheriel non-proven soul that controls the body and is outside the causality, stop.

>Every other living being on this planet runs without thinking.
What?
Imagine the mess if it were true...

What are dogs and cats thinking?

I'm not sure what you think thinking is, but I guarantee you that you're wrong.

pic

Also, plenty of animals have demonstrated the ability to use tools or apply creative thinking to find solutions to problems.

Here's an interesting documentary on octopuses if you're interested:
youtu.be/_G6eH1KDl0s

Doesn't prove they are thinking. Again, the ability to think is independent of the ability to act.

Our thoughts are lagging behind many milliseconds from our actions.

oops, 7-10 seconds. not milliseconds

All right then, asshole. Gorillas can be trained to communicate with sign language. They express their thoughts through sign language. If they weren't thinking they wouldn't be able to do this.

What to eat or not eat, where to put their paws, things like that you know. There's no animal life without thinking, even an ant think, or else they'll just go forward endlessly until they die of starvation.

>humanities giving it a go at neuroscience
What a pile of morons.

>thinking is useless
I completely agree OP. Please, blow your brains out to relieve yourself from this useless trait.

>ability to calculate/plan ahead

What exactly do you consider thinking to be?

Computers don't think.

I want to hatefuck Audrey and make her my submissive housewife

good?

Lel, no.

In a way they most certainly do.

Nigga, animals do think. Just not as well as us. Thinking is hella useful because it lets us do shit like master every other animal on earth and take a shit on the moon. Thinking is the shit mah nig. You should try it some time.

God made us like him so we think, animals have no soul and therefore son't think but act by instinct, they are no different than objects and only exist for food and sacrifice to God.

i don't believe you

>animals have no soul and therefore son't think but act by instinct

Have you ever taught a dog to sit. or if not seen someone who has?

Every idea is an illusion, boyo. If you thought more, you'd understand this.

Yes, a man makes him do his will as his master, as pertold in the holy scripture.

Being able to think allows you to engage in non-routine problem solving. Simple organisms like bacteria just die when confronted with a novel change in their environmental conditions. But humans can switch off their default mode and think up creative solutions to nonroutine problems.

This is the dumbest comment I've read on this site.

Fuck off
God is real

I'm just going to tell you now. If something that genetically complex was biologically useless and never served a use we wouldn't have it.

I don't understand how our thoughts being predetermined makes our thoughts not exist.

so we can change the environment to suit our nature dumbass

other animals have to get lucky with the right traits or get extinct
we can just work around that shit

basically

Correlation is not causation.

Just because we have a thought doesn't mean this caused us to conquer the world. A more accurate statement is our bigger brains who can crunch out biological computation led to us conquering the world. The thoughts, whether they exist or not in animals, are useless in the sense that its an after effect rather than the controlling agent.

Nice

I don't know what the fuck you are smoking, lad.
I sure as fuck didn't start typing this comment before I thought about how retarded you are.

She's hot

Smoking hot

>All of our thoughts/rationalization are post-action rationalization, not other way around.

Prove it faggot. Thoughts lead to conscious action, not the other way around.

Epiphenomenalists are retards. According to their logic, it would be impossible to say "I am a Christian", because this would mean believing that you have a belief. Beliefs and thoughts, according to them, affect absolutely nothing, yet all humans have the capacity for reflection. Evolution doesn't shape our bodies to burn extra joules on nothing.

journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/0956797616641943

The illusion of choice has always been an illusion.

No. P-zombies are naturally impossible. All sensations and cognition can be broken down into necessary components and eventually will probably be wholly reduced to biology, just like chemistry is reducible to physics. There is no fucking sense in there being unique physical laws that determine complex, organized forms of matter project a meaningless puppet show in your mind.

Where did I mention choice? I only said that reflection can lead to action.

All thoughts including reflections/intentions are post action rationalization.

I do not consider myself an epiphenomenalist. Therefore, I believe I have a belief. Therefore, my beliefs have an effect, instead of just being affected. I verbalize this meta-belief here, in text. All conscious actions are post-thought actualizations.

>Played that game
>Found Audrey to be fucking hot as shit because she was all spice
>Know she's an abusive bitch
>Know I will probably love a woman like that who will take me for a ride and steal half my shit
>Just want to be left alone and read my history books but my penis gets in the way

why?

When I finish typing this sentence I will scratch my head and in the process destroy your argument
Just stick with 2D

First time I saw an edgy epiphenomenalist.

Yeah humans are an obvious evolutionary dead-end

Lola is best girl for an actual relationship!

Counsciousness feeds back into lower order functioning. The subjective experience of knowing/feeling stuff is the sensation of these stimulii being highlighted.

I get what you mean, but the capacity to reflect on useless things did not evolve separately from the capacity to think about practical problems

>dat picture

WHY DONT I LIVE IN ANIME WORLD WHY DO I HAVE TO GET THE STINKING BUS TO WORK EVERY DAY SURROUNDED BY SUBHUMAN SHITSKINS

ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH >:(

Thinking helps us to solve new and unexpected problems.
An animal who only works on instincts wont be able to adjust to new situations

>think about what you are going to do before you do it
>less likely to fuck it up

/thread
God fucking damn. Just because you want something to be "more" doesn't mean it actually is.

>All of our thoughts are post-action

We think because 1. we are self aware and 2. because we speak a language. Linguistic thinking is just talking to yourself in your head and we do this because almost all humans learn a language growing up and it's our primary communication tool, in a way we are talking to our own subconscious when we think with language. We can think without language because we are highly self aware, but language allows us to conceive and develop ideas not only with others but ourselves as well, we can bring thoughts to the forefront of our consciousnesses and focus on them.

This thread triggered me

You didn't think too much when coming up with that conclusion, didn't you? Brainlet.

As Jordan Peterson puts it, one of the reasons is so that our thoughts can die rather than ourselves. So you can act without actually doing it. I.e, there's a big bear in front of you, and you have a spear, so you can play out the scenario in your head and weigh up all the risks, whether you should run or attack, and specifically how you should attack or run.

I wouldnt say that's thinking, just recognizing the fact that the bear is huge with sharp teeth and claws and you're just a man with a pointy stick. A dog won't bite the hand that gives it food, the dog associates food with the hand, like how the human associates grievous bodily harm with the bear.

t. HAL

The dog can't play out the scenario in his head, or plan, at least not to the degree a human can. I was giving the simplest example possible.