Tfw all those glorious nippon battleships, carriers, heavy cruisers were sunk and are at the bottom of the sea now

>tfw all those glorious nippon battleships, carriers, heavy cruisers were sunk and are at the bottom of the sea now
anyone gets kinda sad about it?

they probably make for good coral reefs

Most of them were ugly as fuck so not really.

anybody happen to know where I can find that Apocalypse: World War 2 show from the smithsonian channel with Martin Sheen narrating it? I've looked and they all seem to be in French

What's the point of this ridiculously high tower? It's like they tried to pile as much modules as they could.
Also yes, it's sad, an interesting culture died with this generation.

6 episodes, all about 45 mins long? It should have a decently seeded torrent on the buccaneer lagoon.

>What's the point of this ridiculously high tower?

They are just an end result of Japanese upgrading their capital ship foremasts during the interwar period, western powers preferred to replace the entire foremast&bridge structure completely instead of just piling more shit on the old one until it grows into a pagoda mast.

its the one on netflix that they are removing soon. I can't seem to find it anywhere else

Thanks. And they never thought it was an obvious flaw? It seems it can be spotted for miles around, and it looks fragile...

same reason why Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor and refused to surrender when the first nuke was dropped
pure nippon autism

>refused to surrender when the first nuke was dropped
Honestly, given the period the fact must have appeared unclear to everyone. Their cities were wiped out one after another since months, one more was not a big surprise, no wonder they didn't pay attention to the method.

Higher spotting range.

It's the tenshu duh

It's all on YouTube I think

its a french documentary

What's the point of the huge tower? Observation?

It housed a lot of stuff, fire control, range finders, bridge, searchlights, etc.

I know, but there is an english version narrated by martin sheen that I really like

to signal the big strong American ships where they are so the Americans can come bully them.

it was by the smithsonian channel and I've found 1 full episode on youtube

>and refused to surrender when the first nuke was dropped

Would you have? Remember, they had no idea how many of the things America had, and couldn't trust propaganda pronouncements from Washington to be truthful. It might have been the only one. More could take months, even years, to produce. A second one coming only days later enforced the idea that it wasn't unique. That there were no more at the moment and really would be months until another could be procured, they also couldn't know.

After most of my cities were totally fucked by the regular firebombing, probably

>Would you have? Remember, they had no idea how many of the things America had, and couldn't trust propaganda pronouncements from Washington to be truthful. It might have been the only one. More could take months, even years, to produce.

The Japanese had just been curb stomped by American manufacturing capability and advanced technology, so it stood to reason that the Americans probably had a bunch of nukes on hand.

What difference does a nuke make when cities were wiped away with firebombs anyway?

fuck you

They are on bottom of sea and hearts of japaneses.
At least they don't become scraps on India.

They're in better condition down there than 95% of American WWII ships that ended up dismantled for scrap.

Looks like a literal pile of trash

お茶with Kongou-nee.

Final banzai for the Emperor.

Wasn't it consequence of Japanese having shit fire control which meant that they needed spotters high up? I might be remembering wrong though

The idea of striking down an enemy with a single blow.

The Japs had this thought process with their entire naval doctrine. Decisive Battle doctrine dictates that to win, each side throws everything into one titanic clash and whoever wins that is decidedly the victor. It's retarded, but it's an idea that goes back to the early samurai. To defeat your enemy in a single, decisive blow.

A nuke was one bomb that leveled a city. Hundreds of thousands of lives ended in seconds with one weapon. It's like the dream come true for their doctrine. And it was used against them to ridiculous effect. Twice.

Triggered, weeb?

pagoda is fuck ugly

I get sadder that, due to geographic positioning, Germany's far inferior battleships ended up having a far bigger impact than Japan's. But what really saddens me is Italy's battleships which were glorious and beautiful but did nothing but act as bombing practice.

>Would you have?
I would have surrendered at about the point the entire population was down to starvation rations and my entire country was blockaded.

This. I'm sure the ones that didn't sink too deep are happy.

I guess the atomic bomb is proof that Decisive Battle doctrine actually works.

Yes, often.

It is pretty impressive how many modern capital ships Tirpitz managed to tie down while being a fjord hikikomori.

So pretty

>warship thread
>posts a hotel

No, I've found new ones. More glorious and powerful.

Amazon prime instant video and hulu

Decisive battle is antithetical to strategic bombing you moron.

This. It is a good thing that we can recycle huge war machines

modern boats look ugly as shit and have no unique identity about them whatsoever

I wouldn't call tumorous growth masquerading as a superstructure particularly valuable unique feature.

no but it looks pretty cool
also a name like Kongo sounds much better than a generic chink name like Type 051C Luzhou

I prefer my battlecruisers lean and mean, unburdened by metal christmas trees.