Does anyone know about some sort of narrative history of the fertile crescent region from say 3000BC to around 100...

Does anyone know about some sort of narrative history of the fertile crescent region from say 3000BC to around 100? Or really anything broad within those bounds? This whole area has this huge long history and was practically THE center of human civilization, but I don't have a super coherent idea of what's going on there until Alexander shows up.

Are there just to few details about what going on pre-Bronze Age collapse for anyone to have really put much work into one? Hell, I'd settle for a post-Bronze age collapse history of the area.

I'm just going to post a few maps I have saved. Hope for some discussion on this whole area. Assyria is always cool.

Carlin's whole thing on the area that he does to sort of lead into the Persian empire that was destroyed by Alexander was neat, but obviously I could use a slightly more serious treatment.

Muh Armenians. Apparently a number of those smaller states listed here were neo-Assyrian ones that revived interest in their culture and the old gods and so on. Particularly Orshoene, don't know about its neighbors.

This is the Parthians, wish I had this in English but eh whatever.

Woops, forgot the image.

Blackwell's "A History of the Ancient Near East, ca 3000 - 323 BC" is reasonable fusion of a undergrad textbook and a narrative.

I also hear "Ancient Iraq: 3rd Edition" by Georges roux is a more narrative work.

Thanks, that first one sounds perfect.

Shame this guy stopped updated his work.

Say goodbye to Cilicia, the Lydians and the Neo-Assyrians.

damn, forgot the picture

Next to go is Egypt

Wait for it...

Wait for it...

And BAM! No more Persians.

Is there a more pathetic empire than the Seleucids?

I don't know about the Kingdom of Osrhoene reviving Assyrian culture, but the Kingdom or its territory became a big foundation for the culture of modern or Christian Assyrians. It is claimed to be a major source of continuity between the two and the theological/professional writers strongly affected the literature.

thanks!

That's good to know, I'll be going to an Assyrian club meeting soon and this sort of history stuff is fascinating.

Good luck with discussion about fantasy.