What is the explanation behind the mysterious Three Hares motif...

What is the explanation behind the mysterious Three Hares motif? They appear in sixth-century Chinese cave temples and thirteenth-century Mongol artwork, but the vast majority of instances are found in churches in Northern Germany and Southern England, especially Devon. It also shows up in seventeenth-century Synagogues in Germany.

Other urls found in this thread:

cracked.com/article_19119_7-memes-that-went-viral-before-internet-existed.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

BUNNIES!

BUNNIES!!

BUNNIES!!!

BUNNIES!!!!

BUNNIES!!!!!

BUNNIES!!!!!!

BUNNIES!!!!!!!

BUNNIES!!!!!!!!

BUNNIES!!!!!!!!!

BUNNIES!!!!!!!!!!

BUNNIES!!!!!!!!!!!

BUNNIES!!!!!!!!!!!!

BUNNIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BUNNIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BUNNIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

are we being raided by reddit?

BUNNIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

>BUNNIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

>BUNNIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BUNNIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OP here

I'm not sure what I've done, but I am deeply sorry for it

BUNNIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BUNNIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BUNNIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BUNNIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BUNNIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You aren't responsible for Reddit

BUNNIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is it safe to discuss now?

This thread made me hungry. Bunny is the top1 meat. You anglos should try it.

it was never safe, OP is undoubtedly the bugsposter

Why do you imagine Anglos don;t eat rabbits? Protip: We do. We just don't eat our pets because we're not subhumans.

Only subhumans would have pets to start with

Probably buddhist related.

In one of the previous reincarnation of Buddha, he was a rabbit and sacrificed himself to feed a hungry/dying man.

So the symbolism is one of life/death being part of a circle of endless samsara.

more like bummies amirte?

probably a pagan survival of the goddess Ostara who can be linguistically traced to the Near-East goddess Ishtar/Astarte/Asherah (though this is a contested theory)

this figure is essentially the archetype of "the Lady" or "Queen of Heaven" and has dominion over love and fertility, with hares and rabbits becoming an associated cultic symbol due to their high-yield litters and ability to conceive even while pregnant due to having more than one uterus

there being three hares possibly relates to the Maid, Mother, Crone triad often used to depict powerful goddess, such as Hecate, or just the idea of fertility in general with three also being universally considered a lucky number

Ostara is the Germanic iteration of this ancient deity, one of the earliest known to history, so this explains her prevalence in Germany as well as in England as the Angles were a Germanic tribe

German synagogues had them most likely because they were built by Gentile masonry guilds who also built cathedrals and simply associated the motif with religious architecture, though Asherah was the wife of the Judaic Yahweh so even if it was unintentional it is appropriate as it is the same goddess, a nice synchronicity

the Chinese connection is harder to pin down, but with rabbits being symbols of fertility and three being a lucky number it may have developed independently, although the cult of Ostara/Ishtar/Astarte/Asherah likely originated in the East, probably in the Indus valley and it certainly could've traveled further east as well as to the west

Bunnies is cute AF nigga.

this

I recall reading a Cracked article about this being one of the first memes, but i don't actually remember what it said.

here:
cracked.com/article_19119_7-memes-that-went-viral-before-internet-existed.html

>Alfred E. Neuman

Holy shit

What a garbage article.

Cunnilingus threesome