Tearing Down the “Whites Only” Medieval World

We are accustomed to seeing people of colour in Ancient Rome. It is easy to think of examples from films set during the Empire. This has fed the idea that as soon as the Roman Empire collapsed, its people of colour disappeared from Western Europe.

The reality was, of course, far more complicated. Two different ninth-century sources referred to Stephen as Stephanus Africanus: “Stephen the African.” We can say quite confidently that other Africans, whether anonymous or more well-known, did move to Western Europe during the early parts of the Middle Ages. Some of these Africans held positions of power and influence, but many more—as evidenced by the burials in England—were seemingly ordinary people.

“Europe” as a concept is less than useful. In the twenty-first century, it is surely now more important than ever to also tell these stories, and to reincorporate Africa and its people into our ideas of the medieval world.

Other urls found in this thread:

publicmedievalist.com/mystery-stephen-african/
publicmedievalist.com/race-racism-middle-ages-toc/
publicmedievalist.com/uncovering-african/
inthemedievalmiddle.com/2017/08/teaching-medieval-studies-in-time-of.html?m=1
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

publicmedievalist.com/mystery-stephen-african/

fuck off nigger

north africans weren't black

Historians disagree

publicmedievalist.com/race-racism-middle-ages-toc/

were the serfs? or were they freemen which larely didn't exist?

A mediterranian with down syndrome?

yeah, rome was full of african americans

most of those articles are "sjw vs altright" stuff, only this article seems to cite sources

publicmedievalist.com/uncovering-african/

and it only mentions King Moses George, Ethiopian diplomats and this

>in 1312, historian Ibn ‘Idhāri al-Marrakuši also mentioned Nubians as pilgrims to Santiago

even if the scale of pilgrimage were enormous it would be unlikely to influence population demographics much, this is not enough to prove that if you were to visit a random village in medieval bohemia one would expect to see a bunch of black dudes in tights and hoods having a poetry battle while one plays a lyre, part of me would want it to be true but it's not

>even if the scale of pilgrimage were enormous it would be unlikely to influence population demographics much, this is not enough to prove that if you were to visit a random village in medieval bohemia one would expect to see a bunch of black dudes in tights and hoods having a poetry battle while one plays a lyre,
I don't think anyone is claiming that though. This seems to me to be the fundamental misunderstanding of the whole debate. One side seems to be debating whether it was possible to see black people in Europe, while the other is debating whether it was probable. Both sides are true in the end.

So it was both possible and very probable

There is serious issue with white washing history though, many Romans for example were black

Until the historian community denounces and condemns Afrocentrism unequivocally as a lie with no place in historical debate, this will simply look like "stealth Afrocentrism".

I recall reading how the leaders of the Fourth Crusade were amazed by some black fella in Constantinople after they occupied it, these being French and English from the upper echelons of society I highly doubt blacks were common at all in medieval Europe if they were such a rarity to these rich noble fags.

No they don't you revisionist liar.

>very probable
I wouldn't consider a 0.00001% chance very probable.

Whatever you say alt-right pissbabby. History is on th side of truth, and the truth is that black Africans have always been found in noticeable numbers in Europe.

>History is on th side of truth
>responding 1 hour later

Sorry honey but I'm not sitting here in a diaper hitting f5 like you are, I have an actual "life" and only check this thread every now and again. Good to see you didn't even try to refute my post and just went straight to the ad hom, that's about the level of """thought""" I expected from the likes of you.

There are almost no photographs of blacks in Europe before WWI, despite cameras existing in Europe since the 1820s. Even those black soldiers in WWI were usually from Africa or the New World.

I just stumbled upon this thread and saw your bait. Theres no point in refuting nonsense, especially when other anons already did.

Holy Roman emperor, painting from 13th century Austria

>sad little alt-right pissbabbys buttblasted that their MUH PURE WHITE EUROPE myth has been comprehensively BTFO by academia

Face it losers, you've lost the present, the future,and now you've lost the past, too.

inthemedievalmiddle.com/2017/08/teaching-medieval-studies-in-time-of.html?m=1

Are you farming for bait images now? because I'm fine with that.

WHERE THE FUCK ARE THE MODS?

>kek le bait xD

Whatever you say sweetie, but your kids will learn the truth about Europe's multiracial past, and THEIR kids will laugh at the very idea that Europe was ever white. You've lost and your disgusting racist ideas will die with you :^)

:^)

Mayor of Kraków, Poland, 14th Century

STOP FUCKING BUMPING THE THREAD

Stop whitewashing history

That's right, just silence the evildumb academics who have exposed your racist lies, that's how you "people" roll. Light on facts, heavy on the butthurt.

AYOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO LIGHTS OUTTTTTTTT wh*Te SUBHUMANS ARE TRIGGERED LIGHTS OUTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

>le alt-right boogeyman
I'm north african you retard, we are not black and have never be, go try to loot another heritage.

After the spread of Hellenism and the Roman empire the inhabitants, certainly the dominant peoples of large population centers in MENA would have been white.
While there is some ambiguity and debate about what whiteness is and where it ends, it simply defies all reason to assert that they were black or even hosted a substantial sub-Saharan minority.
>“Europe” as a concept is less than useful.
It's considerably more useful than "Africa", there is far less ethnic diversity and far stronger cultural links among the peoples of Europe than in Africa.

>claim there were black in europe
>find evidence of north africans
>claim north african were black
>see ur just a bigot!

Trying to prove racial diversity is a failure of a discussion since we don't even have good definitions of races.

WE