Investing in M:TG

I don't know much about M:TG, but apparently some people have made a lot of money off of hoarding sealed product.

Is buying and holding onto M:TG sealed product for a couple of years a good investment? What do you recommend buying that will increase in value?

It's as good as an investment as manga is. YOu have to hold very long both to make good gains

It's growing super slowly and you can't be 100% sure it will stay relevant enough

A lot of people did this with sports cards and comic books. Even with Marvel's resurgence in popularity, I don't think they're a wise "investment" - you're mostly just speculating. There's a hundred things you could buy and hold praying the value will go up:

> Beanie Babies
> vintage Christmas ornaments
> sports memorabilia of people you think are gonna die soon
> old cars

It seems like very few people have much success though. Every retard in elementary school thought their holo Charizard would be worth a fortune...yeah right.

I am a picker, and one time I came across I ad for boxes of magic cards that were here sons but he was away in IRAQ so she was cleaning house, I didn't know much about MTG but I knew some cards were worth a lot, and she didn't know what she had at all. I got there and saw the guy had been collecting since the beginning and had BETA, Alpha, Arabian nights and a ton of the series after that, I offered her $100 for the box but she only wanted $40 and made me get her change and refused the $100 bill. So I got the change, got the cards and went home and started to see what I had. The middle sets like ones were all made into Decks and played hard. BUT I SWEAR, the beta, alpha and Arabian nights were still in packs like he opened the packs, looked at what he got and just put back in the back and into a fold up card box, the first pack had tropical island card that was priced at $1500 in graded condition. I ended up selling everything for about $10,000 to a collector card shop owner. I took the mom back $4000 and she thought I was crazy but I told her her son might not be happy when he returns from his tour then I showed her 40 $100 bills in a envelope, she cried and hugged me and paid me to teach her how to use ebay.

>mom turns around and pays two niggers to Eiffel tower her that night
Control+f "wife's son" 0 results, ignored

Just look for any sealed packs that could contain a black lotus? I've been out of Magic for years, but even back then Black Lotuses were extremely rare.

Magic the gathering online exchange, mtgox

Or
>put money into crypto
>double up
>free money

hmm

Can u teach me about being a picker as well? From EU so no competition. My email is [email protected]

You're too late, kid.

Just buy the reserve list, bros
MTG are shitcoins you can hold in your hand that will eventually moon because of some rules change.

90% of reserve list cards are shit (pic related) and the 10% that aren't have already been bought out.

There is a huge part of me that wishes I was someone like this guy. I really wish I was so consumed by something like vidya or MTG or anime that nothing else in the world mattered.

I know it has its side-effects and a life like that would not be 100% peachy but it would be so nice to LOVE something with no shame.

I had a few alpha cards, betas, and a nearly complete set of unlimited, sets of legends and the arabian ones. fucking sold them off and i hate myself now. i want them not for their value, i just wish i could look at them again. so many good memories.

I mean, you don't have to be a retard about it

LED went up 50% this year
So did Mox Diamond

There's literally never going to be "better" mana generation than these cards, they're too broken.

Buying reserve list cards that are actually good != buying cards on the reserved list for no reason (pic related) I guess I should have clarified that, if you are a fan of MTG, it should be easy to capitalize on

My legacy decks have paid for themselves

>up 50% this year
That should tell you everything. Did the number of vintage players increase by 50% this year? No. Were LED and MD overlooked cards until this year? No. The increase is from speculators.

wow i bet no one on this board is speculating any kind of fictional asset like a magic card

This seems like an elaborate fantasy but if you did this kudos I guess

i think this guy doesnt even play magic

I invest in MTG sealed product but only do so because I'm a life long player and enjoy collecting. I don't do it because I think it's a great investment and I'm going to get better ROI on my money than what I have in the stock market/crypto/real estate.

The only reason I'd suggest someone invest in MTG is if they enjoy MTG as a hobby and enjoy collecting. Don't do it for the ROI.

That would be such a weird fucking lire to make up. I sold the book in this picture for so much you and the story behind it sounds to extraordinary you would never believe me. But if I was going to lie why not something like I had 100 BTC back in 2012 when the were $10 each?

The guy pictured in his post has not actually played magic in a very long time.

Giv greentext

under
rated

> I was going through a thrift shop looking for scores, when I stumbled upon this book.
>This is a green silk bound 1st American edition made by Scribners.
>There are not many known to be around
>Most of the biggest big book dealers are east coasters and I'm on the west coast so I got a hold of some sellers and I posted online, I got many calls
> but appartently book collector are picky
>There was one collector who called and I honestly thought he just wanted to talk we talked for hours
>I told him others were interested and he said he would add a percentage if I could hold for 3 days. I said sure.
>This book collector decided he was going to fly from Rhode Island to check out this book before he bought it.
>He flew out the next day and I met him at a diner by the airport.
>he went through the book with a jewelers loop even though books aren't graded like comics >he asked me if he could turn the page every single page.
>He paid me in cash more then what its priced online now by a lot because this was in 2006-2007 before a lot of us Americans including me lost everything.
>look at the picture

Based givposter

I have 46 unopened booster packs from "The Dark" series if you're interested in buying.

Absolutely not, even 20-30 years, the way the tournament system works the only valuable cards that are worth it are the ones when the game JUST CAME OUT, because they are the rarest

I made that in one trade last night

god work is tedious

I miss going down to the hobby store every friday night to play until 4-5 in the morning...I used to have a crazy green saproling token deck that was annoying as fuck to play. These feels user....these feels...

Lets see a screenshot or else your a fucking liar

Yeah I unfortunately don't have the time these days for FNM... kids/wife/etc. Which is why I buy seal product and graded cards now for the nostalgia. 100% the feels... never goes away

Very nice

Have a beta Timetwister and other rare cards, just saw their price appreciate 30-50% in the past two years, am HODLing for at least another ten.

I was in a bind, I had to sell off all of my cards to fix my car so I could get to work when I got older. It hurt...mine weren't sealed but I kept all freshly opened cards in the storage boxes that came with the fat packs...as soon as i built a deck they all went in card protectors and then into a hard plastic deck box.

The only piece of nostalgia I have left is my life counter from the torment set, but just talking to another user about it takes me back hardcore. It's like I can close my eyes and smell the card shop, taste the deli pizza, and hear all those games running at the same time. God damn getting old hurts.

It was great at the very begining, when none of those things were popular, so not many were printed/made, and almost nobody had them. Then they all became popular. Any magic card printed today is printed in bulk, and the game's popular enough that the market is full of them, and will always be full of them.

All the easy money has already been made. I have a $50k+ collection and have been serious about magic since 1996. You will lose money as a newb for sure. All sets for the last 5 years have been massively over printed and will not hold value. Alpha, Beta, unlimted, AN, Antiquities and English Legends will continue the increase in value as premium collectors items. But as newb, you don't know shit about shit and will almost definitely make the wrong choice. If anybody mentions Rudy, do the opposite.

mirin' the first three rows more than the last three desu