Post the most epic battles/wars in history

Post the most epic battles/wars in history
I mean some Rohan charge tier shit with finest example of what discipline and bravery can accomplish

Starting with the obvious

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charge_at_Krojanty
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Sırp_Sındığı
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Maritsa
monkshobbit.blogspot.com/2015/09/remembering-911-did-tolkien-pattern-siege-gondor-3019-battle-vienna-1683.html
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Saragarhi
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J._R._R._Tolkien's_influences
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Kursk
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Hahaha, reddit: the war.

How did the Fins do it?

speaking of rohan charge, Battle of Vienna was literally the siege of Minas Tirith

Rohan charge was inspired by Siege of Vienna but everybody knows that battle.
Like the fall of Constantinopole. It's just so cool that the emperor himself had this last heroic suicidal attack like one of the soldiers. A fitting end like something from a Greek tragedy.
Unless it was made up. Old sources aren't very trustworthy.

Please kill yourself.

>this is number one
>not this

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charge_at_Krojanty

Wait a sec this article has different statistics. What the hell? Ruseman.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Sırp_Sındığı

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Maritsa

Gettysburg

Not because it was the largest or most bloodiest, but because it typifies elements of many great battles combined into a great epic. I'll explain.

>Location

The Gettysburg battlefield itself is a very picturesque site. Rolling hills, wheat fields, streams, flowers blooming. This peaceful little town was the last place where one would expect one of the most important battles of the Civil War to take place.

>Scale

Gettysburg was the largest engagement (and bloodiest) military confrontation in the Western Hemisphere. Not even the Conquest of the Americas can hold a candle to it. Sure, it pales in comparison to Stalingrad over in Europe, but here, it was a true clash of the titans.

>Epiciness

The Battle of Gettysburg, along with the Civil War as a whole has been seared into the American psyche as one of the most epic event in its history. A defining moment. Even today, its ramifications are still felt far and wide.

>Clash of the Titans

North and South fought with two of the largest armies ever assembled on the continent, both at roughly equal strength. Victory was not decided by who had more men, but by who held the best ground.

>Race against Time

Both sides were locked a deadly race where who got to the top of the hill first meant the difference between victory or death. Renyolds' race to relieve Buford before the gray wall swallowed his meager division up whole. General Hood's race up the slopes of Little Round Top in a bid to reach the summit before the 20th Maine got there.

>Tragedy

The showdown between former comrades Lewis Armistead and Winfield Scott Hancock. General Pickett's heartbreak after watching his division be decimated. Wesley Culp, a Northerner who joined the Confederate Army, died on the very hill that bore his family's name.

>Few against Many

Buford vs. Heth on the first day, 20th Maine vs Hood's division on the second, Armistead's men who got the wall vs. literally the entire Union Army on the third.

Continued in next post

>9000 KDR
Nice, I didn't realise that the Poles got btfo THAT badly.

He's right though

>Rohan charge was inspired by Siege of Vienna

No it was not.

Look up the wiki article it's faked.

actually it seems like the wiki has been changed recently to bit more biased information

Except the author says he's wrong.

And I take it that Shelob wasn't inspired by his fear of spiders, Rohan by pre-Norman England or that there aren't any pararels with his WWI memories?

>Forlorn hope

Buford's initial sense of apprehension led to the battle occurring the first place by stubbornly holding out until the Union Army could arrive in force. Hood's pleading with Longstreet for permission bypass Little Round Top. Longstreet's repeated urging Lee to cut his losses and carry on the fight elsewhere.

>Decisiveness

Gettysburg is only rivaled by Vicksburg and Antietam as the most consequential single engagement of the Civil War. It reversed the Confederacy's fortunes and began it's inexorable downfall.

>Neutral observer

One of the most important contemporary accounts of the battle was written by Colonel Arthur Fremantle of Great Britain, who was visiting the Confederate Army camp at the time.

>The Great Charge

The 20th Maine's counter attack and all of the Confederate actions.

>Last Stand/Mirage of Victory

Buford and Custer's cavalry and the 20th Maine narrowly avoided this fate by taking desperate measures (against standing orders) at the last moment. Armistead's brigade, along with the 26th North Carolina and 11th Mississippi did suffer this fate in their practically suicidal final charge against Cemetery Ridge. For a moment, it seemed as if the Confederate assault had succeeded. However, despite having reached their objective, they were simply too exhausted and outnumbered to stand a chance and were effectively wiped out within minutes.

How do you know this one is based and not the other one? The thing about cavalry charges is one of the most misunderstood things about early WWII and looks like people are still influenced by the people who wanted it to look that way.

Where?

Because the ONLY sources it cites now are Polish authors and Polish blogs

How are these things related?

>J.K. Rowling's fear of spiders influenced her spider scenes in Harry Potter, therefor the Battle for Hogwarts was influenced by the Korean War.

monkshobbit.blogspot.com/2015/09/remembering-911-did-tolkien-pattern-siege-gondor-3019-battle-vienna-1683.html

I could find only non-Polish sources though. Mostly just Tolkien sites and historical blogs.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Saragarhi

None of Tolkien's inspirations were ever recorded including what cultures served as the basis for those he made up and yet we still speculate what was the most likely source. Vienna isn't any different people just see very obvious similarities. People cling to the "I don't like symbolism" quote from Tolkien as if that means that everything just came out of his head without any external influences. But it's impossible.

>None of Tolkien's inspirations were ever recorded

Objectively false

>see very obvious similarities

hurr durr both cities have a relation to the color white. Seriously you could find such similarities between anything and everything. In another thread about this subject I succesfully proved that King Theoden is inspired by Donald Trump because there are so many obvious similarities.

Trump wasnt even a thing back then retard

prove it

Not white. Just the fact that we have one city that was seen as the last outpost of civilization being besieged and then saved by the mounted allies.
People seek for possible inspiration in other historical events and cultures. Are you denying all of them or just Vienna for whatever reason?

He didn't say that the author was inspired by the siege, and it's undeniable that there are similaryties

*similarities

More or less. That's what Tolkien scholars do. They're trying to figure out what were Tolkien's influences. Some are easier than others. For example it's not a secret that Gandalf is Odin but if Balrog is supposed to be Surtur is less clear.
Rohan is pre-Norman England because Tolkien hated what came afterwards and there are some similarities in the Rohan culture. Numenor is maybe Atlantis? The theme of industrialization is from his WWI experiences and I heard a pretty cool opinion that Frodo volunteering to take the Ring to Mordor was the equivalent of a young man announcing to his family that he enlisted to fight in the Great War. Might be a bit of a stretch but it's cool.
Most of them are speculation just like the Siege of Vienna. It's unfair to just disregard the last one for no reason.

I cordially dislike allegory in all its manifestations, and always have done so since I grew old and wary enough to detect its presence. I much prefer history – true or feigned– with its varied applicability to the thought and experience of readers. I think that many confuse applicability with allegory, but the one resides in the freedom of the reader, and the other in the purposed domination of the author.
J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring (The Lord of the Rings, #1)

Like I mentioned people like using this quote to slam everything. Perhaps they don't know what allegory means. Basically what Tolkien meant that for example: Aragorn isn't Churchill and Mordor isn't Nazi Germany. That would be allegory. Not that language, mythology, history and his own experience didn't influence his work.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J._R._R._Tolkien's_influences

“I didn’t intend it, but when you’ve got these people on your hands, you’ve got to make them different, haven’t you?” said Tolkien during the 1971 interview. “The dwarves of course are quite obviously, wouldn’t you say that in many ways they remind you of the Jews? Their words are Semitic, obviously, constructed to be Semitic. The hobbits are just rustic English people,” he said.

Exactly. Though modern WoW/Tolkien dwarves of pop culture are Scottish now.

I genuinely want a citation, since I recall reading that he gave them nordic names in the hobbit and then regretted that decision when he decided to make their culture celtic.

This thread is so cringy, starting from OP.

>epic

>then saved by the mounted allies.

Except Rohan didn't save Minas Tirith. Aragorn saved Minas Tirith using a legion of the cursed and commandeered pirate ships. Also in what version of history was Vienna the last outpost of civilization? Was the rest of Christian Europe considered uncivilized?

You are right, he said it was literally the same thing, which makes him wrong by definition because of his misuse of the word 'literally'.

Literally EVERYTHING you mentioned is complete speculation based on superficial similarities. Not only should you disregard the Siege of Vienna, you should disregard all of them.

So you recall that his inspirations were recorded, something you explicitly denied just one post earlier?

>Sure, it pales in comparison to Stalingrad over in Europe

Or the Somme
Or Borodino
Or basically ant big battle fought in Europe since the middle ages

Blame literaly scholars then. Not everyone is such a purist that they reject any influence in his work especially considering some of the stuff Tolkien revealed himself directly contradicts that.

And you didn't even notice there's more than one user talking to you.

You are of course right that Tolkien was inspired by many things in history and his own life. He must have been because it would be impossible to write anything without inspiration. My main point is that there is absolutely no evidence whatsoever of the siege of Vienna inspiring the siege of Minas Tirith. Such claims are only "supported" by completely arbitrary similarities between the events, which is just cherrypicking at best.

>Over thousands died and the rest fled
>Over thousands
.. so millions?
What fucking idiot wrote that shit?

losing is not hard

>muh sobieski hussar charge was the basis for the battle of pellenor fields
It was inspired by the battle of chalons down to the death of theodoric (theoden). There is nothing to support the connection to the battle of Vienna except the fact that T*rks are orcish in appearance, smell and demeaner. I understand that you listened to the sabaton song and watched the lotr movies so you think that's how it was but you're wrong and have nothing to bass your claims on other than your own head canon.

There's the "field" part and the name is similar. But still no siege and no allied force helping the besieged. And nothing to support that this particular battle influenced the entire or at least a part of the Minas Tirith/Pellenor battle. If only it took place in Anglo-Saxon England or earlier. Nothing that would make it a more likely candidate.

This claim is exactly as unsubstantiated as the Siege of Vienna claim. The simple truth of the matter is that the Siege of Minas Tirith isn't inspired by any specific historical event. Its a purely imagined and fantastical siege that only draws inspirations from historical sieges in a very general sense.

What the fuck is this whole post

>scale
there was at least dozen european battles bigger than that, and hundred worldwide

>epicness
nobody outside of usa gave a fuck, meanwhile some battles affected whole continents

>clash of titans
just,what?

i gave up reading after that

>there was at least dozen european battles bigger than that, and hundred worldwide

>post whatthefuckamireading.jpg
>can't read "western hemisphere"

What did he mean by tis?

Pretty sure the Battle of Tenochitlan involved more people.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Kursk