Who has influenced modern society more? Greece or Rome?

Who has influenced modern society more? Greece or Rome?

>Roman pantheon is copypasted Greek pantheon
>Roman arhitecture and art is copied from Greek architecture and art
>Roman alphabet is based on Greek alphabet
>Roman philosophy is based on Greek philosophy
Obviously Greece. Without Greece there's no Rome.

Moreover. Italy = Greek colonists + GREEKED local barbariens.

Greece

Yes. That said, I think that Roman Stoicism is the pinnacle of Western Ethics.

this

Everyone below me is a retard.

aren't both pantheons based on the Indoyuropean one?

The Romans were massive Greekaboos and actively emulated their culture and society, but then Rome spread this culture a lot further (west, Greeks conquered East) than Greece, and the West itself has had a major impact on the world.

Greece made the content and Rome distributed it. I'm thankful for both.

This. Rome's most important role is in spreading the classical civilization founded by the Greeks. The things we owe to the classical world, like naturalistic art, architecture, philosophy, science, mathematics, cartography, etc, were all Greek innovations.

>but the Greeks copied stuff too
Yes, but they innovated far more than they copied. They built on earlier foundations, but what they built was completely original. The Romans on the other hand were really just another branch of Greek pan-Mediterranean civilization, only ruled by a different ethnicity. They accomplished plenty, but outside of engineering they weren't really important innovators.

A.Greece>Rome>Italy>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Byz

>They accomplished plenty, but outside of engineering they weren't really important innovators.
Law, Infastructure, politics and military my nigga. The Greeks knew what to do when it came to adding to a civilization, the Romans were able to build and maintain it.

Yeah, you can't take away that from the Romans. The Roman Empire worked much better than any Greek state.

Rome was a Hellenistic civilization.

daily reminder that mary beard defended this

I don't know what Greeks took from others other than alphabet (which is a modified Phoenician alphabet).

BoJo won that one. He's really good at classics.

Naturalistic Greek painting has its origin in the 'Orientalising period', when Mesopotamian/Levantine art began to replace the stick-figures of Geometric art. Naturalistic sculpture was inspired by Egypt, and it's likely that they also inspired the shift from wooden to monumental stone architecture. Philosophy was born in Miletus, one of the more cosmopolitan Ionian cities, so it's possible that it was stimulated by the coming together of ideas from throughout the Eastern Mediterranean, and this also ties in to the rise of stuff like natural philosophy and cartography. Coinage came from Asia Minor. Mathematics had its origin in Egypt and Mesopotamia. And while it's not the same as direct cultural adoption, Greek civilization as a whole was stimulated by the rise of an Eastern Mediterranean economy pioneered by the Phoenicians (after the earlier economy was destroyed in the Bronze Age collspse). That's just off the top of my head, I'm sure there's plenty more.

But despite these borrowings the Greeks rapidly innovated in most of these areas, sometimes completely revolutionising them and accomplishing things that earlier civilizations didn't even come close to.

If you want to be that autistic about it, that link is a modern discovery. No one in antiquity knew anything about indo europeans

Greece laid the foundation for Western Civilization

Rome built upon and applied those foundations and spread them across the world.

Who has influenced modern society more, Jesus or Saint Paul?

>Philosophy was born in Miletus, one of the more cosmopolitan Ionian cities, so it's possible that it was stimulated by the coming together of ideas from throughout the Eastern Mediterranean
WE

That hardly warrants a WE lad.

Saint Paul, really.

Well Paul invented Christianity and Jesus didn't even exist, so...

Yes it does. Concluding that something originating in a port city means it must've been brought from abroad (even if we have no record of it existing abroad) is a retarded stretch only a wewuzer would make.
>lad
Fuck off Anglo trash.

That's not even remotely what I said.

Can you read, though?
>Fuck off Anglo trash

So you're just going to ignore the fact that you had a retarded kneejerk reaction to some strawman you imagined?

You can't understand the difference between 'stimulation' and direct adoption, so you really shouldn't be accusing others of not being able to read.

The Roman Empire which lasted from 27 BC to 1453 AD

You can't really separate the two. Greece made the ideas, but Rome spread them globally(with its own aditions). Without either modern society as we know it doesn't exist.

The Greeks contributed much to modern science and culture but Rome directly created elements of society that exist to this day, particularly law and republicanism.

While the Greeks invented and created many things, Rome organized a society around such things as the rule of law and the social contract, where civilization was the premise and not the result.

Modern society? Greece.

Most of human history? Rome.

Greece provided way more advancements in the field of science, philosophy, and math.

Without Rome, we probably wouldn't have Christianity.

>Who has influenced modern society more? Greece or Rome?
Greek theory, Roman practice

it's not a zero sum game

Very loosely, and a lot of Greek myths and heroes like Hercules were Near Easterners anyway

Tales' parents were Phoenician, many Miletus' resident where Carians (AKA Anatolians), deal with it, coastal towns had the time had a mixed population, sorry Paul Josephon Watson, open a book

>sorry Paul Josephon Watson
I don't even know who that is but likely another Anglo by the sound of it. Which instantly makes him non-credible regardless of what he has to say.

Romans, easily. Greece were more essential but Romans were more *influential* Without Rome, europe would be a great mix of cultures with no common western (roman/latin) one. Greek would be just limited to its region

Depends how you want to look at it. Greeks created their version of society, and Romans expanded on and spread it. You can't have Rome without Greece, but you can't have the Western world Rome.

Rome.
Greekfags fuck off

>>Roman pantheon is copypasted Greek pantheon
I thought this meme was dead.

Why do you do this user?

Why do you try to stir things up?

This is a nice thread. And you want to ruin it with shitflinging and arguing that only embitters us towards the only people that we can turn to in this screaming hell we call existence. I know shitposting is its own reward, but do you ever truly think about the things you try and fail to do?

I'm ashamed, user.

Without Rome literally everything remotely related to greek civilization would be mostly lost. Greece means anything to us because romans decided it, and we inherited from greeks what romans decided to let us inherit. Without romans the greeks would be an obscure civilization like the hittites today. The awnser is Rome.

>black celt

how can they justify this

WHAT? YOU HAVE A PROBLEM SEEING A BLACK PERSON ON THE TELLY?

They're practically fused but if I had to choose I'd say Greece
>black roman
plausible enough I guess for normie history
>black celts
>black anglo/french noblemen
lmao what

Persia

Persia

Its certainly not a reason why i got a colour tv

System of law, legal systems, and administration = Rome. Philosophy and mathematics, more so Greeks.

That said, we use the Latin alphabet in the West and not the Greek alphabet regardless of the latter's influence on the former, our solar system goes by Roman naming convention; Earth = Terra, Sun = Sol, Saturn, Jupiter, Neptune, Mars, Venus, etc...

there isn't a difference.

clearly romee is waay cooler since the have cneturons (the reall coo l shoulders that could kill good) and they had better great generals liek augusts cesar. Grreece is only known for rubbing thier eachothers bodeis with olive oil and anal competition in th eolypipics and riding on rreally big boats. The roaman empire is coolest empire because they conquored europe unlike greece who just sat on a bunch of islands eating that wierd greek yogurt stuff and gryos

Rome, without a doubt.

>Beard specializes in Early Roman history
>writes an excellent book about the rise of Rome
>acts like the average British woman and talks out of her ass about something outside her specialty
That didn't shock me in the least. She calls the Roman culture of conquest and battle *problematic*, in nicer words of course. Mostly it's fairly easy to read and very informative, but little things like that stand out and really speak to her character, which is your average "diversity is the key to our future," middle-age britbong who doesn't ever actually deal with anyone who isn't white.

SPQR is still a great introduction to Roman history though.

Scientifically and philosophical Greece. Geopolitically Rome

because I never want any of you assholes to forget that shes a hack fraud propagandist first and foremost and an historian second.

grekus because grekus influenced romus.
>Greek was the main lingua franca as it had been since the time of Alexander the Great, while Latin was mostly used by the Roman administration and its soldiers.
Well yeah, they're republiboos

>Jesus didn't even exist
The fuck are you doing in Veeky Forums?

I hate this WHATEVERE'D meme; is plainly stupid and reductionist.

Rome.

Alphabet and language.

Greekbois BTFO