Why is Christianity's culture so terrible?

why is Christianity's culture so terrible?

The religion itself is about being decent to your fellow man and following Christ, but the majority of people who follow it are either larpers on /pol/ who only care about having blue eyes or baptists who idolize God through Trump or Reagan.

Christianity is also anti-intellectual, why is it this religion specifically that tries to ban stuff like Dungeons and Dragons, Doom, and Harry Potter?

Christianity itself is also a religion that is both founded upon and contradicts a lot of Judaism, how is it that this religion gets to have its cake and eat it too?

At least Islam and Judaism are honest about the types of religions they are.

Other urls found in this thread:

rationalwiki.org/wiki/Slavery_in_the_Bible
rationalwiki.org
wikipedia-doesn't-pander-to-my-worldviews-enough.org
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Fundamentalism isn't reflective of the WHOLE of Christianity you punce.

this

The only people in the usa you mean. Also there are more christians here in various sects than you would think. Not all catholics are shit people and neither are all protestants. You just never really hear about average people who believe but don't wear it on their sleeves

>Vague statements that can't be refuted
hmmm my favorite kind

There is no single Christian culture. Irish-American Catholic culture is not the same as Italian-American Catholic culture is not the same as Mexican Catholic culture is not the same as Russian Orthodox culture is not the same as Greek Orthodox culture is not the same as German Lutheran culture is not the same as Nordic Lutheran culture is not the same as Northern American Presbyterian culture is not the same as Southern American Presbyterian culture is not the same as Dutch Reformed culture is not the same as Particular Baptist culture is not the same as Southern Baptist culture etc. etc. etc. ad infinitum.

Islam and Judaism are at least as varied as Christianity. There are anti-intellectual strains in all of these religions and there are very strong intellectual strains in them as well. To say otherwise is rank ignorance and anti-intellectual itself. You can't delve into Christian, Jewish, or Islamic theology at any depth without finding very deep, complex systems of thought.

>Christianity is also anti-intellectual

because religion requires a "leap of faith" by definition and the more educated/intelligent people become the more they question this leap

>why is it this religion specifically that tries to ban stuff like Dungeons and Dragons, Doom, and Harry Potter?

For the same reason above, if you take everything on faith without empirical evidence then you don't need to test ideas like "dungeons and dragons is a satanic ritual" just the fact that it intuitively feels correct is all you need

this is what Veeky Forums is supposed to be you fucks

samefag jew

>Why does Christianity try to ban petty consumerist items
Because some of the fundies think it's corrupting the youth with nihilism. Can't image why playing these games would be seen as a waste of time
>Just smoke weed in a dark room and play video games lol

>Blind faith is the same faith in religion
T. Nigger who knows nothing about religion

He's not me, but he's right. The whole point is to have a place to discuss the historical and geographical differences between different religions and the varied strains of thought within those religions. Instead we get dumbass LARPers who aren't Christian spouting ignorant stereotypes at each other because no one here fucking knows or wants to know anything about the subject they're talking about, and they have a vested interest in nobody ever speaking rationally or historically about them.

Huh?

the 80's s when the dungeons and dragons scare happened. It happened because people thought the game was satanic. They didn't care about whether it was consumerist or not. It was the 80's, everybody but a few left wing musicians were consumerist.

You're definitely right about the consumerist argument, but I would point out that Jewish and Islamic communities ban games and books all the goddamn time. The Satanic Panic had more of a Baptist flavor to it but it was certainly felt in Catholic, Methodist, Presbyterian, Lutheran, and Episcopalian circles during that time. The problem, I would guess, was more a combination of fundamentalism, mass media, and an inter-generational conflict between generations who had been drawn up into a war (Vietnam, primarily) and those who hadn't, and what the proper way to conduct one's life is. It was basically a continuation of a culture war that concerned Americans of all walks of life rather than a particularly Christian thing. Christianity just has this way of being dogmatic, such that what one generation ended up imbibing gets passed on to the next. I'm not religious, but if I were, I would think that the obvious answer for religious institutions is to refocus on catechism and liturgy, and to eschew dogmatic positions on particular cultural or political issues. But many Christians are in it for the politics. For many, it's become more of a voting bloc than a real faith.

>fedora.jpg

every jew ive met loves d&d

Funny, all the D&D players I knew growing up were Catholic.

all faith is equally anti-intellectual

faith in religion is just as irrational as blind faith

Tovia Singer shows it's bogus anyway, who cares?

Maybe one day you'll learn about your own unacknowledged presuppositions in which you trust blindly. But probably not. I'd break you.

what the fuck did you just say to me i'm a navy seal etc etc

fight me bruh

please try to break me like you said i'm curious now

>most christians are larpers on /pol/ or obsess over Trump and Reagan

Holy shit get off the internet every once in a while dude

>at least Islam and Judaism are honest about the types of religions they are.

I-it was a typo... I mean "it'd break you"... b-but I'd like t-to break you... if you want me t-to... :3c

>why is Christianity's culture so terrible?
It's only been terrible for about 100 years now.

>but the majority of people who follow it are either larpers on /pol/ who only care about having blue eyes or baptists who idolize God through Trump or Reagan.
I'm pretty sure most Christians aren't even white.

>Christianity is also anti-intellectual, why is it this religion specifically that tries to ban stuff like Dungeons and Dragons, Doom, and Harry Potter?
You're from America I'm guessing. I think you've only been exposed to fundamentalist Protestant Christians.

>Christianity is a single culture.
Maybe the most insipid, unadorned, and modernistic fundamentalist and evangelical churches are as well as some Catholic endeavors but the same is in fact present in many Judaic and Islamic endeavors and movements today.

>The religion itself is about being decent to your fellow man and following Christ

It's about how to beat your slave and who to murder.

That's Judaism

htNo this is your bible and your word of god.

You don't believe in your god's word? okkk.

>Christianity is also anti-intellectual, why is it this religion specifically that tries to ban stuff like Dungeons and Dragons, Doom, and Harry Potter?
>He honestly thinks only christianity has retards who pull this shit.

>Christianity itself is also a religion that is both founded upon and contradicts a lot of Judaism
Judaism set itself up for change and all changes in the new testament are rationalized.

>At least Islam and Judaism are honest about the types of religions they are.
What does that even mean?

You're striking at too many different points to form a coherent argument, so I find an actual dialogue in this thread will be pretty much impossible.

rationalwiki.org/wiki/Slavery_in_the_Bible

You do realize literally the trust you have in your own senses to show a world accurately beyond you is also a leap of blind faith because the only thing that can support the truth of your senses and reason is your sense and reason right?

>rationalwiki.org

that jesus specifically rebuked

no argument? exactly what I expected

really? tell me where in the NT jesus said slavery is immoral I am waiting....

Do to others what you would want them to do to you

>Because solipsism and scientism is not a blind leap of faith

>wikipedia-doesn't-pander-to-my-worldviews-enough.org

It's pretty much a claim that the source of your "argument" is incredibly biased and not worth the effort of reading.

Christianity is a foul and disgusting faith. Atleast my Islamic cousins are monotheists, unlike these Nazarene pagans who worship a false messiah.

>He says ignoring the fact the it white Anglo Saxons Protestants who were the hardest proponents of abolitionism around the world while secularists were too busy being diaspora degenerates drinking themselves into a coma and whoring about

>Do to others what you would want them to do to you
That Nazarene boy learned this from Hillel the Elder.

Hillel means lucifer in Hebrew

No it doesn't, you ignorant Goy. 'Shahar Ben Hillel' means Lucifer. Hillel just means 'he has praised.'

Abolitionism came from enlightenment philosopher, who were all deists or quaker nu-christians

That does not say anything about slavery.

I thought god is always the same and doesn't change his mind.

Your pathetic attempts to excuse the immoral basis of your religion are excatly what I expected to hear from you.

Btw I just took the rationalwiki page because it has all the slavery parts in one page if you can point me to a misquote of the bible you won.

Until then your wishy washy bla bla means nothing else then:
Oh shit this collection of facts makes my religion look bad so I rather attack the honest source than the argument itself.

Thank you your behaviour makes you look worse than I ever could.

Abolitionism came from Christianity. William Wilberforce was a devout Evangelical, and most abolitionists in the US were Evangelicals as well
> "Right is of no Sex—Truth is of no Color—God is the Father of us all, and we are all Brethren."
-slogan of the North Star, anti-slavery newspaper published by Frederick Douglas

American Christianity is more or less just American nationalism with pictures of jesus
Capitalism will appropriate tge ideology of yesterday to justify the material conditions of the present, so that's why they don't rell that stories of passing around the fish and bread or the story about Jesus btfoing all the people selling shit inside the church very much.
Americans see their military as some kind of fleet of angels who carry out God's will and can do no wrong. (This includes bombing a lot of innocents and occupying countrues).
Notice how when something happens, Americans will go on tv and say WE HAVE TO DO SOMETHING!
Things like courts will just completely slip their mjbd, like when they killed bin Laden rather than detain him. Obama went on tv, said we got em, and everyone laughed.

A lot of clergy are still cool though. Like MLK, Malcom X (even though he was muslim) John Brown, and all the clergy at Charlottesville

This had better be b8, I don't think I've seen such absolute detachment from reality. Go outside and talk to people.outside of your immediate circle of friends, holy shit.
>Americans are the all same meme you see on /int/ and on parodies of americana

More proof that everything that happened to Christendom after Martin Luther was a mistake.

More like the East-West Schism.
>crusades
>loss of eastern Roman Empire
>"Reconquista" which wouldn't have been as bad had it not been followed by imperialism in the Americas.
>Catholic Churches incompetence and corruption leads to the creation of various breakaway sects and wars.
>Ends up in modern capitalist society.

>all chirstians believe in the same thing
Lots of generalizations you got going there pal

>Christianity is also anti-intellectual,
>Harry Potter
>contradicts a lot of Judaism
>At least Islam

This is such an obvious shitpost it's unbelievable people are responding seriously

*EXTRA TIP FEDORA EBIC MEME I BELIEVE EVERYTHING I READ ON THE INTERNET I AM THE BEST.

You're a shit euphoric scholar.

This. SO MUCH THIS

>"the majority of christians are /pol/ larpers or bible-thumpers"
>"the majority of christians are from fucking /pol/"
What did he mean by this

>the majority of people who follow it are either larpers on /pol/ who only care about having blue eyes or baptists who idolize God through Trump or Reagan. Christianity is anti-intellectual

Where are your sources?

>this religion specifically that tries to ban stuff like Dungeons and Dragons, Doom, and Harry Potter

D&D makes you a retarded incel, doom is a violent video game that all Baby Boomers, regardless of religion, want to ban, and Harry Potter is a subversive leftwing piece of shit that SHOULD be banned.

>At least Islam and Judaism are honest about the types of religions they are.

Fuck off Moishe.

Saged and reported.

This does not qualify as high quality discourse and you didn't cite a single source.

>The religion itself is about being decent to your fellow man and following Christ

What? No, it isn't. It's about being decent to your fellow Christians and demonizing and murdering anyone who disagrees.

>need sources
Agree
>all this retarded other shit
>actually wants to ban something for 'being leftist' when we have a right to free speech
Fuck off faggot
M-Muh tradition and morals but only my morals are right

No but they are part of it and the majority is supporting them via moral support/money/justification just like ISIS is supported by every single muslim on this planet donating money to his imam.

Being humble is hard while being self-righteous is the easiest thing in the world. Everyone does this shit, it's just that Christians have a high standard to fall short of.

>M-Muh tradition and morals but only my morals are right
Yeah you cultural relativist faggot, exactly that. Holy shit how fucking kiked is your mind that you think all systems of morality are equally valid?

this has to be bait, because you implied the following mistakes:
>all christians are either /pol/ users or trump/reagan supporters
there are christians outside the USA, you know?

What possible benefit could have come from bumping the thread?

>tries to ban stuff like Dungeons and Dragons, Doom, and Harry Potter
Are you implying those things are intellectual?
Anyway Christianity is everything but anti-intellectual. The church often stimulated the sciences and Universities are a christian idea.

>D&D makes you a retarded incel
What the fuck makes you think that?

> the more educated/intelligent people become the more they question this

Just stop making this vapid claim. People don't automatically start questioning things just because they increase their education or grow in intelligence. If you take something for granted you don't question it unless you come across something that shakes your understanding of the subject, and even then you'd need to be somewhat inclined towards scepticism.

Because world religion numbers prove the craziest, most violent basketcase religions with a slight geographic starting advantage rule over half this planet.

Christianity 2.2 billion[3] 31.50%
Islam 1.6 billion[4] 22.32%
Secular[a]/Nonreligious[b]/Agnostic/Atheist ≤1.1 billion 15.35%
Hinduism 1 billion 13.95%
Chinese traditional religion[c] 394 million 5.50%
Buddhism 376 million 5.25%
Ethnic religions excluding some in separate categories 300 million 4.19%
African traditional religions 100 million 1.40%
Sikhism 30 million 0.32%

It didn't have to be this way. More sober, peaceful religions were given a real shot repeatedly, only to be wiped out or relegated to Buddhism's ~5%.

Don't forget Manichaeism used to be a world religion from Spain to China. The Manichees were too passive, like Buddhist monks, and were put to the sword eventually wherever they wound up.

The same fate awaits the atheists/secularists of today. Many of them in Europe will submit to the Islamic sword when the day comes. It sure beats dying for a belief in Reason, which promises not so much as a day in paradise after death and is very passive.

>the majority of people who follow it are either larpers on /pol/
This is a new level of retardation, neckbeards really pathetic.

That says nothing about the morality of slavery. It just says that you should do what you would like to have done to yourself, which is not necessarily the best way to go about things.

Those figures are wrong.

Because I'm French, christians will categorize me as a catholic, while catholics are today a minority in France. At worst, we see some nationalists morons fond off the Middle Age who roleplay as catholics - they never read the bible.

Except that
I just want to say that to inflate the figures, catholics consider me as a catholic because I had been baptized, but I never go to the church, I don't know nothing about the history of the bible, that means that I even know a bit more the thorah and I consider religions and particularly christianity and islam harmful for a society because of their dogma and anti-intellectual essence and yet I am a christian, yeah NO. Fuck christianity.

But they do typically follow the good book as it said to be followed so.........

>the BBC thread is deleted almost instantly
>this fucking thread is still here

WHY

Veeky Forums isn't a safe space

>Malcolm X was a muslim.
We wuzlam have next to nothing to do with islam.

>banning Harry Potter
Nothing wrong with this

Read Aquinas his narrative on slavery is pretty good, but this is either bait or you trying to be superior so you're probably just a dumb teenager trying for (you)s. Yeah, it's true Jesus didn't say anything about slavery, but if we wanna talk about the church and slavery then you have where Christians start disliking it because they saw men as equal in the eyes of God and slavery as a a result of original sin as early as it's beginnings in Rome. I know that in some translations in Pauls writings on why he hates homos he lists slave traders among them.

>They didn't share one of our liberal values therefore the entire religion is invalid

>muh pacifism
I don't feel sympathy for religions that were so pacifist that they couldn't defend themselves.

He left Nation of Islam and became sunni though, that's when he went on Hajj and stopped being racist.

>majority of people who follow it are either larpers on /pol/
You're basing your view of a religion from /pol/ posters? Really?
> only care about having blue eyes
Most Christians don't have blue eyes.

Wrong, it's just to opposite. Universities were started by Christians, and Christian thinkers have founded the modern sciences.
>Dungeons and Dragons, Doom, and Harry Potter?
This only happens with American evangelists who are a special kind of breed.

>founded upon and contradicts a lot of Judaism
Modern (Rabbinical) Judaism itself is different from ancient Judaism, which also had various sects.
>At least Islam... honest about the types of religions they are.
Ha ha. Islam literally claims that Jesus was a Muslim and was never crucified.

>Actually supports banning books.

wait a minute so why did they kill thousands of indians and basically did everything bad to anyone who even tried to say something not exactly on their line of thinking
as a christian this makes no sense,I woudn't genocide an entire species just because they didn't know about jesus since they're >1000km away from europe and the middle east

were europeans just insane at that time?

Never go full retard.

>Being this fucked in the head.

Your numbers are way off. Agnostics make up way more than a fraction of 15.35% percent. In fact most people, or atleast most of the christians and atheists, are agnostic.

>The same fate awaits the atheists/secularists of today. Many of them in Europe will submit to the Islamic sword when the day comes. It sure beats dying for a belief in Reason, which promises not so much as a day in paradise after death
Yeah because people have only ever died for causes that promises them eternal life in exchange.
> is very passive.
Are you being serious? Do you honestly expect missionary work from atheism? Like, would you prefer it if them went around Jehovas Witness-style and knocked on doors and handed out leaflets about their lack of belief? Would you also prefer it if abigfoot-believers ran around the forests of north america documenting the non-existant of that smelly ape?

Jesus of Nazareth was an individual, religion is a social phenomena which behaves in a certain way no matter what ideals is based on, you people should read Durkheim if you want to understand religion.

Oh, I actually didn't know that. Thank you for correcting me.

Your missing the obvious there mate. For a christian the slaughter of the innocent is perhaps the best thing that could've happened to them if it grants them salvation in the afterlife. You're actually giving them a kindness by not letting them get polluted by sin.

>killing babies is alright cause they're going to jesus sooner than anybody
oh ok
didn't get the memo

Who said anything about it being okay?
It's still murder on your part, it's just that it provides the victim with a clear (if imaginary) benefit. As such it's perhaps the most selfless act a christian can do.

Oh, look, it's another American progressive who thinks his homeland's religious right defines Christianity in it's entirety.

>all Christians are b*ptists or c*tholics
neither of these two are Christian
>muh anti-intellectual
Tell that to everyone important in the 18th and 19th centuries, also stop applying broad swaths of bullshit to a group composed of many individuals with many different perspectives/beliefs

>all Christians are b*ptists or c*tholics
>neither of these two are Christian
jesus you're more of a tipping faggot than OP

b*ptists preach hate, antithetical to Christianity
c*tholics preach papal infallibility, antithetical to Christianity

Try again

It went downhill starting with the the Protestant Reformation