R/history, I mean Veeky Forums, why do you fuckers study history?

r/history, I mean Veeky Forums, why do you fuckers study history?

i was always a brainlet in school who was dogshit at maths/chemistry/physics but i was great at history.
i guess i loved it since kid, my dad started buying me encyclopedias about the aztecs/romans/chinese/etc when i was 4 and teach me to read

i dont "study" it now tho, getting a history diploma is a suicide here(eastern europe)unless you want to teach children for 500 euros monthly till the end of your live, but thankfully i have a successful business that lets me spend enough time on reading as a hobby

I've loved history ever since I was a child and was given a big "history of the world" book for christmas. I think it was pic related.

Also that image is adorable.

Exactly which image are you talking about

If you mean me , the guinea pigs of course

What, are you gay?

Its the best if you want to understand humans and humanity in generils.

I really loved the
>Holy
>Roman
>Empire
parts of history as a child. The whole idea of knights, Charlememes an shiet just really piqued my interest growing up.
Oh shit I remember that fucking book. Wasn't it part of a series or am I thinking of some other book?

No.

Guinea pigs are cute.

Yeah it was a series, but that book was the only one I had. Lots of illustrations, but the actual information given is sparse as you're fitting all world history in one book.

Funnily that book for children mentions more factual stuff about african history than you can usually find on this board.

A lifelong obsession ever since I got my hands on an Age of Empires CD when I was 8 years old. I played that game over and over on my 1995 IBM Aptiva, then moved on to reading the civilizations' histories on the game help files, then on to Rise of Rome, AoE II, actual history books, papers and the beginning of a lifelong obsession.

And it all started because an autistic young 8 year old liked playing with the Egyptians in AoE.

I guess so I can understand my place in this world better.

I don't
I just pretend to know it

are you "deciding" your place in the world based on history?
why would you do that?

>are you "deciding"

By "understanding," I mean giving myself some context about the world. This means I can make better philosophical judgments about my surroundings and circumstances, even human nature.

I've always been interested in history just because of my natural curiosity. As a kid I liked to understand the "why" behind things, and if you keep asking "why" eventually you start reading history to get answers. I've also loved reading since I was very young, so it didn't really take long for me to become enamored of history for its own sake and not just as a means of explaining the present.

It was always a source of great annoyance to me that history education is so halfassed in America. They barely teach you anything except a few snippets of American history which are heavily sanitized, scrubbed clean of any controversy that would boggle the minds of impressionable children. So I had to do most of my ancient and medieval history reading on my own until I got to college, where I could study it in earnest.

Because I like it.

My grandpa would tell me my family's stories. That's how my interest into history started. Then I got into medieval stuff, my dad would buy me books and little knights figurines like pic related when I got particularly good grades. There was also Playmobils and Legos later. Then my dad bought me Age of Empires: The Age of Kings for DS. First historical video games, of many, and that fostered my interest.

Now I study it at university. I'm shit at anything sciencey, and History is the only vaguely respected humanity here. Just considered good foundations for other studies, though, good preparation for schools specializing in administration/political stuff. Even a master or doctorate in History isn't going to get me a job other than teaching. Field is saturated.

Now I'm having a rush of nostalgia for these figurines.

Idk, do I have anything better to do?

I'm autistic

I just find it fascinating. A large portion of my family members are big into history:
-I'm interested in Classical history and mainly Rome
-My brother likes the First and Second World War
-My sister is into Egyptian, Roman and Pirate history
-Grandpa is into the Second World War and the Wild West
It kinda isn't surprising, since we all suck st math but our reading comprehension is absolutely phenomenal