What countries contributed the most to history?

What countries contributed the most to history?

In my opinion it is both Greece and Britain.
>Greece because
Set up the basis of Western civilization which runs the world
>UK because
Industrial revolution, creation of the modern world, creation of modern economy, creation of the USA

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_language#Modern_French
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legacy_of_the_Roman_Empire
youtube.com/watch?v=thzp7nVt_t0
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>greece
>greek
wew lad

>creation of the USA

The US only started to thrive when France and Spain liberated them from Brits tho
Had this not happened, they'd be another irrelevant Canada

>Greece because
Thats like saying Iran is the most important country because of mesopotamians or Romania because of the Roman empire
>UK
absolutely lucked out throughout their whole history, from settling on an island to being able to conquer savages with sticks and stones and get their riches all around the world

Id say the right answer is China, France, German, maaybe Italy and unironically USA(they accelerated the progress of humanity in the last 100 years more than pretty much every country in the last 500 combined)

Assyria and phoenicia

This is the most pleb tier post I have ever read.

This makes no sense whatsoever

> The people who inhabit a climatically perfect island are only lucky because they inhabit a climatically perfect island.

No one else created the largest empire known to Man. They were just 'unlucky' then? Cretin.

>the largest empire
The majority of which was just uninhabited or tribal deserts and jungles.

Tell that to the Mongols.

Still the largest.

Shitty empire

Carthage was more impressive and even parthian

t. Benedict Smith

cancer of his right there

If we go by any time its
Greece(made western culture)
France(brought the idea of liberty to the western culture)
Rome(its fucking rome)
China(its fucking china)
and the US(massive technological advances and changed how war and politics work)

>the United States revolution happened before the French revolution, and may have partly helped inspired it

German scumbag spotted

1. Britain
2. USA
3. Athens
4. Rome
5. China

Verum est.

AYY, ANCIENT GREEKS WUZ ALBANIANS
WE ALBANI WUZ HERE BEFORE ANYONE
TAZDINGO PRAISE HOXA

>>Greece because
>Set up the basis of Western civilization which runs the world

Under what definition "western civilization" did they? How is Ancient Greek recognizably western, other than for the fact that people regard Greece as being a part of Europe?

Even then, Ancient Greek influence and domination spread from Greece to as far as Afghanistan and India.

"Western civilization" is a term used to describe Christian, European culture. If you wanted to point to one "great man" who founded Western Civilization then people generally point to Charlemagne.

I mean, what about Ancient Greece is recognizably European? The "mentorship" of young boys or Pythagoras's theorem?

>Set up the basis of Western civilization which runs the world
In what way?

>absolutely lucked out throughout their whole history, from settling on an island to being able to conquer savages with sticks and stones and get their riches all around the world

British soil is not that fertile, and not as rich in resources as other parts of Europe. The Island? It actually isolated us for most of history.

>Savages with sticks and stones
This only counts for Australia, Newland and other little Islands. Africa, America and other places were also conquered by other Europeans.

India, for example, was, at maximum, 200 years less developed than Europe.

>This only counts for Australia, Newland and other little Islands. Africa, America and other places were also conquered by other Europeans.

Wrong
Here's how big the british Empire was after the last time Britain fought another european power over colonies
Eveything else (aka easily 80% of the empire at height) was taken solely from savages

india had 40% of the worlds gdp before the UK took it, savages in what sense?

>savages in what sense?

Technology and behavior

Greek philosophy and culture was foundational to both the Roman Empire (which is abut as important to the idea of European-ness as the Mandate of Heaven is to the idea of China) and Christianity.

Really no country contributes the most because wouldn't america not be a contributor since its just english and other immigrants and england not a real country since its just anglos from germany and germany since it was just indo-european descendents and indo-europeans since we all came from africa, so really ethiopia is the only real contributor :thinking:

>Greek philosophy and culture was foundational to both the Roman Empire
Undeniable, but this is irrelevant since the Roman Empire was not part of "western civilization" either. Are you telling me you'd look at the Forum, see a man yelling in Latin that his Batavian slave girls had the tightest cunts, and think that this was western European culture?

It was the European culture of then, but not the European culture that we live in.

>Greek culture and philosophy influenced Christianity.
How much of what Jesus of Nazareth said has been influenced by Greek men of high standing?

>The US only started to thrive when France and Spain liberated them from Brits tho
Had this not happened, they'd be another irrelevant Canada
Before the revolution the inhabitants of New England were the wealthiest in the world and the US only really began to thrive in the vert late 19th century...
By emulating Britain's unprecedented Industrial success.
As for them being "another irrelevant Canada", Canada's population is smaller than California's and despite it's enormous size Canada has far fewer geographic advantages.

India has had civilization from 3300 BC.

Britain didn't become civilized until the middle ages.

Why China, exactly?

I realize it's not technically a country, but I'd honestly say the middle east has been the most important are of the world, considering the world's two dominant religions (Christianity and Islam) originated there, and greatly influenced the world.

>>*area, not are

And?
Look at the absolute state of Iran and Egypt nowdays

Europe didn't really become important in world history until the late 15th century. Shit changes.
Eventually western Europe won't be on top anymore. We're already seeing that happen.

Nigga, China invented so much stuff that propelled the world forward

OP is right. Fundamentally, the West is British-Hellenic. Classically educated Anglo master race now

Lesser nations btfo, please try to mask the butt hurt you're feeling

Like what? Only things I can think of offhand are bookmaking and gunpowder.

Not saying China wasn't important, particularly as a world power (it clearly was), but I think other regions of the world certainly rival it if not surpass it in importance.

>Like what? Only things I can think of offhand are bookmaking and gunpowder.
which would be enough by itself, but
>paper
>the compass
>shitloads of engineering, astronomy, maths, agriculture, chemistry, etc researches

Rome
Britain
Europe in general
Asia
The USA
Sumerians/Mesopotamians/Egyptians

Pick 7

Top three would probably be (in no particular order)

>Rome
>Britain
>Ancient Egypt

Ancient Egypt didnt make any significant contribution, and Britain contributed less than France and the US

t. Frenchman

>India, for example, was, at maximum, 200 years less developed than Europe.
India was always generally kind of ahead (imo) but the Mughal era really set them back.

FUCK BRITKEKS THEY STOLE EVERYTHING FROM FRANCE

>Technology
This meme needs to end. Technology did play a small part but what was MUCH more important was was the financial and political doings which made exploiting India's divisions easy.

EVEN YOUR MUSLIMS?????

>Europe didn't really become important in world history until the late 15th century. Shit changes.
More like 18th century in comparison to the bigger players.

And the American Revolution would've never succeeded without France. Also the french revolution had huge repercussions on the world while the american revolution was pretty much a proxy war between France and England.

My reasoning was:

>Ancient History: Egypt
>Classical History: Rome
>Modern History: Britain

And Britain has contributed far more than either the US or Franc, sorry to say. The fact that this entire board, nay, website, is in English isn't proof enough

I suppose if I added a fourth "medieval history" section, France would go in there

*is proof enough

To elaborate, the way British took over India was similar to how English conquered Ireland.

They pitted local leaders against each other. They often formed alliances with losers of the king's rivals, like brothers of kings, and made them pseudo rulers under them. They also bought any ambitious princelet they could and a huge amount of indian soldiers and then deployed them tactically, like pitting Hindu soldiers against Muslim kingdoms etc etc. India was in prime position of being taken advantage of in the 18th century with the collapse of the Mughal Empire and that's exactly when the Western powers appeared.

>The fact that this entire board, nay, website, is in English isn't proof enough

Fucking retard

>During the 17th century, French replaced Latin as the most important language of diplomacy and international relations (lingua franca). It retained this role until approximately the middle of the 20th century, when it was replaced by English as the United States became the dominant global power following the Second World War.[60][61
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_language#Modern_French

Learn history before attributing American achievements to Britain, faggot

Not that user but, i once read that Plato inspired some intelectuals in the Middle East, if Jesus existed, that he probably learned a lot about Plato. I read that a while ago so i could be wrong

>this level of
Loving
Every
Laugh

Bullshit. English became the lingua franca due to the Empire. America was part of it.

That's wrong, utter faggot
At the height of the British Empire, barely anyone could speak English outside of the borders of the British Empire and America

German diplomats in 1914 had to use French to talk to British ones because they couldnt speak English

What part of the word 'became' do you not grasp?

>the Roman Empire was not part of "western civilization" either

Fuckin what lad. Your argument is literally 'people were different in the past so they're not connected to our culture at all'.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legacy_of_the_Roman_Empire

OP's right in that the first to set precedent are clearly the most important.

As far as civilization is concerned, the only obvious answer is the Sumerians. We still use a lot of things they invented, and they were the first.

English became the lingua franca after WW2 because of America
Not a British achievment

>At the height of the British Empire, barely anyone could speak English outside of the borders of the British Empire and America
>the borders of the British Empire and America

So most of the world then.

And I call bullshit on that. There were far more people in the Empire, with far greater geographical reach and cultural clout, than the US. The US was a mediocre power right until the 40s.

No, retard
No one cares about empty shitholes in Africa and South Asia

English isnt relevant because Britain brought it to Zimbabwe, Nigeria and Bengladesh
It's relevant because America spread it to Europe, East Asia and Russia

>The US was a mediocre power right until the 40s.

And English was irrelevant until that point
It's only with the beginning of US domination after WW2 that English became the international language

These are the most delusional posts I have ever read. Are you seriously suggesting English was unknown in Europe and South Asia prior to the 1950s.

I have never laughed so hard.

Rome.

Pretty much every major western empire has LARPed Rome in some way.

youtube.com/watch?v=thzp7nVt_t0

Well let's talk about civilizations and not countries at least.
so the correct list is this:
>Rome
>Greece
>Britain
>France
>Germany
>China

In that order.

Agree with the list, apart from Germany, but not the order

>Greece
>Rome
>Britain & France in equal measure
>China

I'd then swap Germany for Egypt

Also worth considering Persia, for its influence on the Indian subcontinent

Your time's running out whitey

>Are you seriously suggesting English was unknown in Europe and South Asia prior to the 1950s.

East Asia* (China, Japan, Korea)
And the answer is yes
Before Post-WW2 US domination, French was the closest thing from an international language
But only the very educated elite could speak it, and most people could only sspeak their local language

Then, America invented mass media (Hollywood, Pop Misic, and later the Internet) and spread it to the civilized world first (Europe, Japan, Korea...) and to the entire world next, thus spreading English language to the masses in a way Britain could never dream of

If you look at pre-WW2 accounts, you'll notice barely anyone spoke English n non-English speaking countries
You can even find testimonies from IS soldiers about how they had to use French to talk with civilians in Italy, Germany and the Netherlands because English wasnt known there

That's a defensible position as well I have to admit.

>Romania because of the Roman empire
are we all just going to ignore this