Was there unironically a worse war to have been in than WW1?

Was there unironically a worse war to have been in than WW1?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Verdun
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

The Mexican-American war.

I read the memoir Blood Red Snow a while back about a MG34 gunner on the eastern front. The dude was in continuous combat (except for a short while bit while he was injured) for three years.

I feel like all things even WW1 was worse, but the dudes in ww1 were not subjugated to those insanely long levels of combat that some groups on the Eastern front in WW2 would have been. Not to mention surrender/capture in WW1 didnt mean Gulag/death camp like it did in ww2.

weren't men rotated on the eastern front as well? I'm sure some men saw near non-stop combat but I'd imagine that's more of an exception not the rule no?

>making the volkstrum of old men and young boys
>actually rotating out healthy young men from the fight

pick one.

how do you figure?

holy shit imagine that, combat without break for months at a time. Must've been some hard men to put up with such conditions. It's even crazier to think there were men who served in both WW1 and WW2.

>Having to fight a war
>In fucking M*xico
>Try to drink the water? You'll probably die (The war would see 4 times as many deaths from dysentary alone as to combat)
>Try to fuck a native "woman"? You'll probably die
>Face endless chemical weapon attacks from the natives
>they're not even trying to do guerilla style attacks on you, that's just what being around M*xecians is like

I don't get it. I mean, couldnt they tell that trench warfare was fucking uselss and futile? I mean, imagine sending a soldier into no man's land. You know they'd die. So why do it? Seems fucking crazy to me. if I was a soldier I don't think i would be able to do that, unless they forced me by gunpoint

I mean what other option was there? Sit and wait for the other side to get bored of the staring contest and leave?

Phillipine-American War
>Be just minding your own business off duty when 5 guys take to you with Bolo knives
>Shitty Jungle
>malaria and foot rot
>Forced to use the shitty and slow to reload Krag rifle

As far as I am aware, at Verdun the Germans did not rotate their units at the front. Unlike the French who had constant rotations of fresh troops.

Hmm I did not know that, I thought the germans were pretty good about rotating out their troops as well .

>Sit and wait for the other side to get bored of the staring contest and leave?

Pretty much because trench warfare is the same as siege warfare, and especially in this case since the Germans were just going to defend on the western front and concentrate on Russia first. The French and British generals were retarded to throw wave after wave of men for years and years against an impossible obstacle. Should have just used artillery to pound their lines until they invented tanks.

Contrary to pop history, trench warfare was not slowly walking into no man's land to be mowed down by machine gun fire. A lot of assaults worked. It was just very hard to take a position and hold it against the inevitable counterattacks, especially since all the defenses faced the other way and enemy artillery was a lot closer than your own big guns.

Eastern Front ww2 or Second Sino Japan war as a Chinese would give it a run for its money

>Should have just used artillery to pound their lines
They did exactly that at the Somme, how'd that end for them?

From reading the first bit of storm of steel WW1 doesn't seem so bad really.

Cold, miserable, and boring with people being blown up occasionally but if you remove the last one you have a modern shit job on an oil rig.

American civil war, and that's just off the top of my head
>south fighting for rich assholes who wanted to stay rich
>north fighting for imperialism disguised as abolitionism
>men on both sides were forced to fight against their own relatives, even brothers in some cases
>southern cities burned, women raped, property destroyed
>many men who fought for the confederacy never got paid because the nation they were fighting for ceased to exist
>decades of violent tension leading up to the war

They fucked up by sending in men afterwards

junger thought it was rad as fuck though, he's not your normal grunt.
dude literally volounteered for a pow snatch mission as soon as he got back from the last (failed) one

Quit ruining the book for me damn you user.

There's no way to consider the Philippine-American war as worse than the vietnam war. Same environment, but both the filipino army and later insurgency weren't particularly likely to kill you, all the while you got to loot and plunder to your hearts content and enjoyed a openly state-sponsored prostitution industry.

Iran-Iraq War

>War of attrition
>Trench warfare just like WW1
>Widespread use of chemical attacks
>Sarin gas, Mustard gas
>Widespread use of minefields
>Child soldiers
>Iran used children to clear fucking minefields by walking over them and blow themselves up, proclaimed them "Martyrs"
>Iraq used chemical attacks not just on Iran troops but also to depopulate entire towns of Kurds and other minorities
>The whole thing lasted 8 long years
>Barely any territorial gains throughout
>Almost a million dead
>Ended in Statu Quo Ante Bellum, making the entire thing pointless

>I mean what other option was there

Maybe they could have all sat down and discussed why they were actually fighting, realized it was stupid to kill each other for no reason.

Are you five years old?

>Must've been some hard men to put up with such conditions.

Pretty much. I've been on some pretty long CoD marathons myself.

Realistically, any medieval war.
Being an infantryman on the front line basically meant you were going to die, no ifs ands or buts about it.
When two armies clashed on the fields, thousands of bodies were left - most of them were actually still alive, in horrific agony.
In sieges, boiling oil was poured on intruders.
There were no rules of engagement to be followed.
Getting shot by a bullet is a far more merciful death than having your midsection torn open with a sword.
Armies would march for months, even years at a time.
You had to buy your own equipment a lot of the time.
Nobody bathed, everyone was stinky winky.

Also, an ELECTRIC SWAMP.

And a fountain that disgorges blood for some reason.

>>north fighting for imperialism disguised as abolitionism
There is literally nothing wrong with imperialism. Self-determination is complete bullshit.

It gets much, much worse, I assure you.

A rig pig is at least mostly well fed and gets a week off on the regular

The typical diet for a WW1 solider was over 4k calories a day. Also they were rotated off the front every week or two I believe

You've got it backwards m8

well, a third of the shells were duds and most of the rest were shrapnel, not high explosives.

not in world war I, the reason why the german trenches were so much "nicer" (lot stronger built, more wood, less mud) is because those guys hardly ever left

Wait until Junger talks about all the dead. Lot of names come up, some familiar, some less so.

He was extremely lucky.

shut up, retard.

>The war would see 4 times as many deaths from dysentary alone as to combat

Deaths from diseases almost always outnumbered battle deaths in all pre modern wars. This wasn't uncommon

This. This so much. Modern wars are much, much cleaner and humane.

No, ww1 was horrible. Too much pain and no gain

The American civil war had pretty defined opposing sides and was an actual war, so it's not that shitty compared to most.
>be Slovene family during WW II
>some professor comes in your house and coerces you into giving him money so he can get your king back
>then some dude beats you because you support the monarchy
>then some pasta faggot comes in and shoots your cows and pigs, complaining only gets you beaten
>then the home guard comes in and steals all of your food
>then some Nazi comes in and they take away one of your sons so he can fight for them, also beat you up just for giggles
>then some partisans come and steal all your food, as a bonus your other son goes with them
>as you're barely surviving, somebody burns down your barn and leaves a warning that this is what happens to traitors
>tfw you have no idea who did it, because pretty much evey group sees you as a traitor

Have you tried being part of an actual ethnicity

Warfare before firearms, by far

WWII as a North or East-European civilian.

Ancient wars.
They were practically all fought with genocidal intent. For instance, when a Greek city state won over the other one, they made sure to kill all the warriors.
Then they got into the city and razed it to the ground (literally making sure there would be nothing left to inhabit).
They killed every single man either directly or by crippling them.
They raped the women and then killed most of those as well, with some going home as their slaves.

If you lose a war, you lose a war... who cares. This was primal brutality at its finest.

ACW

The rotation consisted to send the soldiers to another front though. A less deadly one certainly, but they were still not in vacation.

>In sieges, boiling oil was poured on intruders.
Oil was way too much expensive, boiling water does the same job.

Moron. Greek warfare was absurdly ritualized and casualty averse. Cities being razed was the exception, not the rule.

Ancient warfare in general was infinitely less destructive than industrial warfare.

You missed this post redditor
durr everything is better now XD

you got to be kidding

>there are people in this thread as we speak that think the great war was not the most brutal in history.

Wow

>Be rifleman lying in 2 feet of muddy water with bits of your best friend every where
>Artillery barrages pounding your line for hours at a time
>Get hit with chlorine gas and die from your lungs boiling

Germans troops were assigned to a part of the front and pretty much stayed in this area with a simple 'time on the frontline/time on the rear'. French did the 'tourniquet' ( turnstile or seesaw ) during the battle of Verdun: 2 weeks on the first trenchline, then 2 weeks on the second line, then 2 weeks on the rear front. Also they did this on a huge scale, division by division, quite a challenge logistically speaking.
In total it is commonly said that 70% of the french soldiers on the western front went on the front of Verdun

M*xishit detected.

>In total it is commonly said that 70% of the french soldiers on the western front went on the front of Verdun

And this is why the mutinies happened
The whole French army had suffered the hell of Verdun (even if for less time) while for the Germans, only a chunk of it did

>Weaponized AIDS.

I'd much rather an M14 to the shitheap that was the Krag, at least a .308 will fuck up whatever it hits

Once the trench system was set it was a hell of a job to break through it, given the type of weaponry they had at this time, even with the artillery or tanks or aircrafts and also given the obtuse mind of generals on both sides at that time and their strategy. And do not forget that there was a big part of occupied land to retake from the germans who were kind of 'at home in germany', which explains why the allied trenches were set in a temporary short-term view with an offensive spirit and the germans ones were nicely built because of their long-term view defense of 'german' soil.

>Ctrl+F Chechnya

Read this book.

>Seems fucking crazy to me. if I was a soldier I don't think i would be able to do that, unless they forced me by gunpoint
that's what they did lol
you either went to No Man's Land and have 1% chance of survival or be court marshaled and shot by a firing squad for "desertion" or "cowardness"

I always worry that Russian feds would muddle with such works until they are full of bias, if they allow it at all

Why is/his so stupid?

i wouldnt say this a why. The are a lot of 'whys' concerning the french mutinies of 1917 during the second battle of the Asine.

The main reason is that the french high command told the soldiers the 'Offensive du Chemin des Dames' was the last one, that it will end the war once and for all, that they will finally break through. In spite of the use of tanks, the attack failed because the french had no idea the german defensive trench system there grew bigger and more efficient since their tactical retreat on the Asine river in 1914. They had 3 years to imporove the whole area, also german were aware of the offensive ( by spying or intelligence services) and thus the french failed.

This 'ultimate' failure was the main cause of the mutinies of 1917. But you're true on that maybe the soldiers saw the hell of Verdun coming again, if it is what you're implying

don't we use the modern term "wargasm" to define this type of behaviour?

The experience of the GI in Vietnam has always struck me as my personal vision of hell - abject paranoia-inducing misery. The lack of glory (and outright social ostracisation) at the end of it all make for an even more depressing picture.

I'll take my chances and try to desert

Friend fought there, truly horrifing

The desertion rate was rather low. It seems the sense of duty was overwhelming at that time (especialy given the atrocious conditions).

Not him, but more likely it's the fact that it's not all that easy to get away with it. The primary reason Trench Warfare developed as it did was because you had such enormous concentrations of troops over such a geographically limited area that nobody could really maneuver; The Hundred Days offensive committed more troops than occupied the entire Eastern Front by the time of Operation Bagration, and they were packed into an area roughly 1/8th the size.

If you try to desert, you are almost certainly going to be spotted by someone trying to get out of the battlefield without leave.

>proxy war
>jungle warfare
>booby traps
>useless attacks as the enemy comes to backstab you throughout a tunnel
>no clearly identified foes
>lots of civilians involved
>unfair war, as mainly men from the lower classes were drafted
>few gratitude and backup from the homefront during and after the war, except family, and even within your own family, opinion on the matter is splitted

In France the Germans were so close to Paris that they pretty much had to fight on the offensive. They couldn't just sit back and wait it out.

World War II

Very few people actually died from gas.

>Few people would give or take commands. There was a lot of havoc, wounded, dead, low ammunition supplies, inoperative equipment, and finally the chain of command broken or non-existent. Along with the CCF, it was extremely cold, and many men did not wish to respond to orders, many of which were wounded once, twice and some even more. I too did not make that last ditch effort with a column of 20 trucks. I knew it did not stand a chance but I thought it would make a diversion for some of us cutting out in small group, or alone, to stand a better chance of escape. When many men look back they like to think of themselves as heroes or etc, but the truth of the matter when the chips are down, most try to save their hides.

Agreed. However whether the gas was not as deadly as we think the fear of a potential gas attack was pretty efficient and always present. Also the wounded were at best incapacited for several days with strong headaches and at worst blinded for good with burn and a pneumonia. Also there is no figures afaik about how many of the 1.2M wounded by gas died of lungs diseases years after the end of the war

Have we figured how to fit pregnant Anne Frank into this fantasy yet? Asking for a friend?

t. Unionist parasite

There was no real alternative at the start of WWI.

Tanks didn't even exist until half way through the war.

The Battle of Stalingrad alone makes the Eastern Front in WW2 the most horrific place to be.

Consider the 13th Guards Rifle Division (soviets)
>Launch a counter offensive against the German Offensive at the Battle of Kharkov
>Take 50% casualties
>Get pulled back for resupply/reinforcement but get sent to Stalingrad before you finish.
>3,000 men die within 24hrs just crossing the Volga.
>Roughly 10k men make it across the river.
>Be responsible for most of the notable engagements in Stalingrad (Pavlov's House, the railway station, Mamayev Kurgan,).
>Out of the 10k men that crossed the Volga, between 280 and 320 survived to the end of the battle.

>Then they do it again at Kursk, help liberate the Ukraine, and advance into Germany all the way to Berlin.
>For the veterans that survived each engagement, the only break was preparing the new recruits.

I used to subscribe to outdated meme history as well

I remember reading some soldier's memoir of his time at Passchendaele and how hellish it was. Unfortunately I can't recall the same.

>author mentions the constant shelling, day and night, even during downpours
>some shells hit craters, making them even deeper
>these craters fill with water during the downpours
>oil and gunpowder seep into the craters as part of the rain runoff
>some men are blasted into chunky meatbits which also run into the craters
>author mentions a shell knocking him into one of the larger craters, which was almost full of vile water and at least nine feet deep at its lowest point
>he got lucky and grabbed a root jutting out of the side of the crater wall
>he saw the corpses of at least three men who had drowned in the water
>these men's lungs filled with a slurry of water, oil, gunpowder, and the liquified flesh of their comrades until they died

Makes me genuinely nauseated.

*unfortunately I can't recall the name

Fucking stupid typos

second Sino-Japanese war as a Chinese desu

>brutal press ganging
>literally not making enough money to survive when not fighting
>chemical weapons, with no protection against them
>little to no access to medical aid
>enemy takes no prisoners
>if they do, you'll be beheaded at best and live experimented on at worst
>commander is likely a corrupt self-serving warlord
>your contribution to world war 2 as a whole will be entirely forgotten because lol communism

It was a nightmare
>be in base
>have to listen to captured soldiers being tortured within earshot
>if you go out to get them you'll get killed/captured
>Chechens put hot coals in people
>cut apart genitals and force soldier to watch
>break apart fingers and toes
>One day you notice a package of meat outside base
>think it's local populace who are helping you
>cook it up and eat it
>next week another package shows up
>fingers and toes with the meat

Retard.

He embodies a stoicism that takes a lot of events in stride.

Excuse me but Verdun did everything better,more horrific and larger

Don't forget the Iraqi missile/bombing campaign against Iranian cities.

1.Burma/Philippines in WW2,jungle is unbearably hot and humid,a plethora of disease,being in the rain is miserable as hell,no vehicles and an almost certain 100% casualty rate
Even worse for the japs who have to hold out drinking mud water and maggoty rice
2.Fighting in the alps in Italy WW1,all the hellishness of WW1 mixed with high altitude warfare and frigid temperature,high risk of getting buried in an avalanche

>The concentration of so much fighting in such a small area devastated the land, resulting in miserable conditions for troops on both sides.

>Rain, combined with the constant tearing up of the ground turned the clay of the area to a wasteland of mud full of human remains. Shell craters filled, becoming so slippery that troops who fell into them or took cover in them could drown.

>Forests were reduced to tangled piles of wood by constant artillery-fire and eventually obliterated.[87] The effect on soldiers in the battle was devastating and many broke down with shell shock.

>A French lieutenant who would be killed by a shell, wrote in his diary on 23 May 1916, "Humanity is mad. It must be mad to do what it is doing. What a massacre! What scenes of horror and carnage! I cannot find words to translate my impressions. Hell cannot be so terrible. Men are mad!"[110
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Verdun

this, Stalingrad while horrible can't compare to the horrors of

My great grandfather was there he told me Russians and italians are a bunch of FAGGOTS. Also Serbia

My great grandfather Village friend was shoot in the head in front of him and the blood literraly shower him. Yeah kinda funny if you read it not very funny if you live it though

>then some Nazi comes in and they take away one of your sons so he can fight for them, also beat you up just for giggles
Mirko?

I’ll take broken English for 800.

the peninsular war

Why are you using my name?

it's not your name