What is the ideology of the U.S. legal system? Why does it reject the concept of rehabilitation?

What is the ideology of the U.S. legal system? Why does it reject the concept of rehabilitation?

>applying ideology to the justice system

The only reason you phrased your question this way is to force yet another (my ideology)vs.(your ideology) argument into Veeky Forums despite the fact that we are filled to the brim with this bullshit now.

This is bait.

KYS yourself famalamadingdong

This. Just stop OP.

Do you retards not know how to sage?

Does "rehab" even work? You should look it up. Heroin addicts have something like a 98% relapse rate after "rehab."

The threat of violence or incarceration is more powerful than "rehab" for most people.

Muh "rehabilitation" people don't seem to understand that the drug addicts and lower classes are too stupid or lack the self awareness required to transform into a productive law abiding citizen.

The reasons we have such a huge prison population have nothing to do with rehabilitation. The USA has an endless variety of free rehab programs all over. They just either don't work or the druggies don't want them.

>lefties board the asylums
>Moan about muh rehab

>
The threat of violence or incarceration is more powerful than "rehab" for most people.

No it isn't, as US prison statistics show. As most crimes are committed either out of passion (the person is not being rational) or desperation (I'm poor and need to eat/get my kids something for Christmas), the threat or consequences rarely comes into effect. As well, consequences for committing crimes don't bother criminals because they think they won't get caught- thus why they're committing it in the first place.

Also I'm pretty sure OP isn't referring to drug rehabilitation, but shit like a murderer undergoing therapy and then being released after a few years, compared to u.s. laws, we're depending on the state the guy might just spend the rest of his life in prison.

Hang murderers, put GPS collars on rapists, give free heroin injections to junkies, put all the crackheads in mental institutions and marilize the legijuana.

You literally can not prove this wrong.

The murderer is going to get a million trials before getting hanged, costing American taxpayers millions of dollars. Your plans sucks

You fail to consider one crucial aspect.

It's worth the money.

US prisons are a business that involve lucrative government contracts, depending on the number of inmates.
This drives for the private enterprise to push for harsher and longer sentences, all to increase their revenue, and the American populace is brainwashed to think this is fine. A rehabilitated prisoner provides no income to the prison system.

Just like they are brainwashed about public transportation, by the powerful auto industry.

Capital punishment doesn't curtail capital crime. In fact, the notion that punishment in any way mitigates or prevents future crime is essentially a delusion that is not borne out in fact.

I didn't say it would deter crime.

I just really like the idea of a case ending with a judge saying "hung by the neck until dead"

US congressmen seem to agree with you.

Not if you do away with appeals.

the asylums were actually pretty awful in some cases.

though I'm not sure Reagan's solution "lol, fine no asylums :^) " was any better.

exactly

Do you mean prison system?
The US model is to imprison offenders for such a
long time that they become too old to commit
another serious crime.
The US only has a 10% higher recidivism rate
than most EU countries iirc.

>Heroin addicts have something like a 98% relapse rate after "rehab."
That's because they put them on fucking methadone

The vast majority of both violent crimes and property crimes in the USA involve drugs or alcohol. Inebriation is a factor in nearly every case, whether it's murder or DUI.

Opiates reprogram the brain in a way that is extremely difficult to deprogram. Suboxone or methadone are often the best options because at least you can bring the addict into a controlled system with some normalcy.

Once a brain gets hooked on opiates it's often impossible to free it. This is why so many junkies kill themselves. They literally can't quit and it drives them insane.

Methadone literally kills junkies, they check out of the methadone clinic, can't get a hit of methadone, buy heroin and think they can handle the same hit of heroin as they did methadone, OD. I don't know if this is working exactly as intended or an oversight