Attila the Hun

Did he and his tribes speak an Indo European or a Turkic-Mongolic language?

I researched this a little bit, if someone is more knowledable please correct me. But I think the concesus is Hunnic is an altaic language that is close to turco-mongolian than indu european or uralic.

Huns however had plenty of indo europeans within their tribe. Moreover there are evidence of indo european tribes who adopt altaic languages and turkic etc tribes who adopt indo-european languages. Tribes move around they interract with one another

What happened to Huns, anyway? Which modern nation is the successor of the Hunnic Empire?

It's far more probably he didn't actually speak a language and instead communicated through a series of grunts and belches and farts like the eastern ape he was.

turkic-mongol language, they were closer to turkic than mongol

that mongoloid manlet was very lucky, he came when the roman empire was weak

If I recall correctly, we know basically jack shit about their language, because the contemporary sources for them are lost.

They were assimilated, there were plenty of nomadic tribes who arrived between hungary and ukraine, huns-avars-cumans-pechenegs all were assimilated and became slavs or vlachs. Magyars managed to preserve their language.
There are few phrases and words that were recorded by Roman writers iirc.

lmao mongols would have steamrolled the roman empire like any other

Fingolians aside Hungarian is Uralic like Finnish and Estonian. The ancient Bulgars are a better candidate.

Better than your lispy snob language molded by proficiency in oral sex.

There is no consensus on the classification of the Hunnic language.

Altaic and Turco-Mongolian also aren't real language families either.

meant for

We literally have no idea who they were.

The historian that mainly dealt with them had most of his shit lost during the decline. All we have are some statements on their appearance. All of which boils down to "they are ugly."

Nah there's plenty of anthropological and archaeological work indicating their Turkicness

Oh I know, sorry about that, what I read was "proto-turkic" actually, it is probably still disputed

I don't know though, I think trying to claim nomadic tribes as one of your own or not is idiotic. Though gokturks emerged aroun late 500s so they are not far away from huns.

The language of the confederation was gothic, we know this as a fact. Writers also talk about hunnic so it wasn't the same language, but that's all we know. We have like three or four words that aren't names. Hunnic could be turkic as much as it could be uralic, iranic, germanic or slavic.

This idea that huns were turkic (or altaic) and that's it was caused by the association of the huns of Attila with the xiongnu of China by scholars from the past century. This meme is well entrenched in pop history and to be fair it's not completely forgotten but the theory is far from proven or widely accepted.

We have a very limited amount of proper words and names, not a single phrase. At least for the huns of Attila. The words we have are probably not turkic, some names probably are. When (if) we know more about their actual relationship with other steppe groups we could say more about the language of the huns.

Marerial culture and languages aren't the same. Huns belonged to an steppe ethos that today and for the last thousand years has been almost monopolized by turkics, but it wasn't always like that.

Turks, they incorporated Germanic tribes and others on the way, like Turks always do.
Nothing gets wasted.

There's probably more evidence leaning towards Turkic than any other language family. It would be less probable if it weren't for the presence of other such tribes in the region.

People of Veeky Forums let's face the facts.

The Huns were black

Attila died a pretty shitty death but at least he had married a cutie beforehand.

Fuck off mongolboo

Based Gudurn. Manlet gook deserved it for the murders of Gunnar and Hogne.