So why did English start pronouncing it’s “w”’s the way it does while continental germanic languages pronounce...

So why did English start pronouncing it’s “w”’s the way it does while continental germanic languages pronounce it as an English “v”?

Would pic related be Wodan or Vodan in pre-Norman English?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=3C9yvEOT45I
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Dutch uses it that way too.

all germanic languages pronounced w as [w] until like the 1600's

What happened?

Aren't /w/ and /v/ indistinguishable in modern German?

[w] changing to [v] is a relatively common change, Romance did it (through [β])
no, /v/ is pronounced [f]

Dutch uses an English W in blauw

In some languages the reverse has happened. Basically what happens when you repeat a word fast enough.

Romans pronounced their v's as w's, and their cultural influenced remained in what would become future England after they left through the Romano-Celts. Germanics later invading the island picked it up from there.

This feels like bullshit

It is since literally every romance language stopped using v as u, and vulgar latin did it first probably.

It's not. But don't let history get in the way of your feelings.

It's not that English started using /w/, it's that everyone else but the Dutch stopped using it. Most of the languages had both sounds at one point.

Varg has a video where he pronounces all the old gods' names. They actually changed it from "Wodanaz" to "Wodan" and it's indeed pronounced like a V but slightly different. The Z sound isn't our typical Z, it's more of a G sound like if you said the name "Jean" in a French accent.

I would find the video but the Jews capped my data.

Stop listening to Varg.

Like Zhōnghuá.

You mean the intellectually dishonest snownigger who checks out books on 19th century anthropology that he passes of as his nord wisdom?

Did you see his videos on Ancient Egypt claiming that Kangz is wrong and the Gypos were red haired and blond white Scandinavians? Well there were conclusive genetic tests done and both he and Kangz is wrong. Ancient Egyltians were ancient Anatolians and ancient Anatolians are genetically the Turks of Turkey. So what did Varg do? He releases a video claiming that Ancient egypt was European...

It's the other way around

English has the original pronunciation, while continental Germanic languages changed

w in blauw is hardly pronounced at all. At least I can't hear it when I listen dutchh people speak.

>
> But don't let history get in the way of your feelings.
Literally Veeky Forums.

Wodanaz/Wodan. Just like Baltic pagan gods.

Wotanaz is quite Germanic. Don't see any direct connection to any of the Baltic gods.

youtube.com/watch?v=3C9yvEOT45I

>Don't see any direct connection to any of the Baltic gods.
Except for the spelling of it. If you'd look at Baltic languages you will see a lot of similarity

Example??

w[ƿ] is the original pronunciation.