Was he a good general?

Was he a good general?
Or a talentless hack fraud?

>British

Talentless hack fraud, British never accomplish anything good. FUCK BRITSHITS

French were so much better than britcucks, France would have won if britcucks weren't beady anglo scum

ah yeah france wouldve DEMOLISHED the third reich alone lmao

hahahahahhahahhahahahahhahahah

He was pretty shit tbqh
>Autistic to everyone around him
>Unrealistic expectations and then claiming it was all just as planned
>Caen
>Market Garden

I think Market Garden shattered any illusions of him being a competent general. Any amateur could've looked at a map and immediately realized that if everything didn't go 100% perfectly, the whole plan was doomed.

>Failed twice
>'pretty shit desu'

He didn't fail at Caen, he just did shit

>Failed catastrophically twice and shifted the whole allied strategic outlook from a British breakout to an American one
You're right, best general

he tied up most of the German forces in France there which let the Americans break out in the west

He was a horrible human being and destroyed many people who he saw as personal enemies.

>I know I planned for it to be a D-Day objective but I totally planned on this whole holding operation and breakthrough by the Americans at St Lo
>Even though all my plans totally contradict this idea
Fuck off Montgomery, you're dead

At least one guy did but he was made a scapegoat which pretty much ruined his life.
Montgomery was barely human.

He was the kind of guy that fucks up but then the fuck up kind of has a positive outcome later on

He was a competent - if usually cautious - commander with a massive ego.

>Market Garden

You mean the operation that was signed off and approved by Eisenhower?

Eisenhower wasn't some kinda "King of the Allies" who could do whatever he wanted, it was essentially a political position that required a lot of juggling of competing interests.

Market Garden was a bad call on Ike's part but if it had worked, it would have shortened the war and saved lives.

He wasn't exactly spectacular either, you find most generals in the war were pretty mediocre except for freaks like Model, Wingate and Chuikov

if I had to pick my top 5, it would be
>Manstein
>Model
>Zhukov (meme as you want, he still was the man behind Moscow, Uranus, Kursk, Bagration - greatest victories of the entire war)
>Nimitz
>Patton

I wouldn’t say Montgomery was a hack but he was an unimaginative officer whose successes were due to having the advantage in men and materials.

His “plan” for breaking thru the Siegfried Line for example, was to simply blast the Germans with artillery and then zerg rush them, essentially drowning the Germans in Allied blood.

Thankfully the Americans captured the Ludendorff Bridge and prevented a gigantic shitshow.

Mediocre general promoted for political reasons with little tactical or strategic competence and an inability to cooperate with other commanders, saw military operations as a chance to achieve personal fame and prestiege rather than defeat the enemy.

One canadian scout who was recommended for a bravery medal turned it down as montgomery would have presented it and was in the scouts opinion not worth recieving medals from.

Australians hated him too for dropping our based slouch hate for his gay beret

Model shouldn't be on that list at all.

I think he gets a lot more hate than he deserves. He came to command after everything was going to shit in North Africa and effectively re-organized the entire eighth army into something of an actual fighting force that could take on the Afrika Korps. Yes it's well known to everyone that he was an absolute asshole to everyone around him, but to the rank and file he was a super-star on Pattons level. This was due to the fact that he was one of the few British generals that seemed to actually give a damn about the guys under his command, instead of sitting in an office 30 miles behind the lines and running the war from behind a desk. This was amplified especially after El-Alamein, as many soldiers fighting under him finally felt like they had a leader who was actually competent and could win battles. Whether he was competent or not is pretty irrelevant, the morale impact he had on the British made him basically untouchable.

However after El-Alamein and the North African campaign I feel like the fame and fortune that came with victory for the first time in the war went straight to his head and amplified his ego to the bursting point. To answer your question, I don't think he was a talentless hack, more like a potentially great general that was let down by his own ego and his insistence on surrounding himself with yesmen in the later years of the war.

>Best German defensive commander in WW2
>BTFO out of the allies in Market Garden
>BTFO of the allies at Aachen
For a guy fighting a war with almost no air support against several tactical air groups he did pretty fucking well

he's a pretty good defensive general who tried his best with the limited resources he had when Hitler basically sent him to whatever hole in the front he needed to be plugged

he was very good
meticulous and detailed but he is too arrogant,full of hubris and sometimes a tad bit rude especially to the Americans
anyway William Slim was a better general than he is except he got less exposure because he fought the japs

why didnt the nazis use maginot-line for defense of germany

Because they blew it up

when?

>No Rokossovsky

When the Germans tried to use them, they also just went around them like any sane person would

1. The Siegfried Line was already built before the war as a counter to the Maginot line.
2. The Maginot Line's defenses... pointed towards Germany.

>they blew up the maginot line when they tried to use them
derp

>2. The Maginot Line's defenses... pointed towards Germany.
i know but still

Bill Slim was a better British general.

>derp
The allies bombed anything in the way, air superiority and half a decade of war industries development on what works and what doesn't tends to do that

>but if it had worked, it would have shortened the war and saved lives.

Funny how no one brings that up when talking about just Monty...

I think some historian chose the exact five (I think after all Germany had many great generals) as the only "Greats" of WWII in Europe. I'm glad Monty didn't make it.

Poles hate him too for making their general a scapegoat for M-G even though he was skeptical of the plan but still did a great job in the field.

>Dominion troops hated him
>Americans hated him
>Scots hated him
>Poles hated him
So the question is, did anybody actually like Monty?

>did anybody actually like Monty?
Monty himself

Are generals even necessary for modern warfare? They used to be rock stars, now I can't name a single one.

They have to file all the logistics shit

I honestly don't know but he must've had some crazy connections.

Robbie Rotten from LazyTown?

He had Winston on his dick for winning El Alamein, something literally any British commander could have accomplished if they did the Monty strategy of waiting until you had shitloads of 25 pounders

he was a cunt
>after Market Garden, he visits the Poles and commends them; hands out medals
>goes back to England and berates them, blames the failure of MG on them, not his shitheap plan

also
>treats Americans like shit, genuinely believes the English are the top dog of the allies

i wish Patton clocked him in the mouth :/

>William Slim was a better general than he is except he got less exposure because he fought the japs
This. Slim is clearly the outstanding British general of the war, and is surely /ourguy/ due to his sexual perversions.
Of course for this view to take off, Veeky Forums would have to start taking things outside of Europe seriously.

well, as he said that Caen was due to be taken on the first or second day, then he failed

read a book about he battle of Normandy that is not british propaganda and you'll see that he was a stubborn opportunist cunt who reaped the laurels for victories he was merely involved in. But you know, in time of war, the homefront needs iconic figures to gather people together

seconded

Blaming Poles for his personal failure during Market-Garden was utterly a cunt move

What if Gott hadn't died? I mean all he had to do was not run into a burning plane and Monty would be some irrelevant fuck no one cares about

model is the 2nd most underrated ww2 commander after slim

>Patton
No.

>best defensive commander
>who is Kesselring

What did Nimitz do besides go
>bomb the carriers lol

Slim doesn't count since he faced the Japs.

He sent IJN to the bottom of the sea and orchestrated American victory in the Pacific.
I'm not even American, he deserves it the place on the list, far more than Patton who was a glorified corps-level general.

Schwarzkopf

was he a good general or a talentless hack fraud?

They did have more tanks, more planes, more artillery, and far more amo than the reich

GOAT

mustache/10

>lure japs into trap at midway
>completely devastate IJN
>balance of power is permanently shifted to allies in the Pacific

The entire pacific theatre was "just bomb the carriers lol"

>Midway
>entire Japanese strategy has been deciphered
>100% know exactly where their ships are going to be and what they're going to do
>still manage to get spotted and lose a carrier
Had the Japanese commanders been just a little more cautious, Midway could have ended in disaster for the US despite them having an enormous initial advantage. That battle was sloppy and ended up in a decisive victory out of sheer luck when no amount of luck should ever have been involved.

He was a well liked, charismatic general who was successful in the North African campaign.

Only people salty about Brits would say otherwise.

kind of, the first day targets were wildly ambitious and very few of them were actually taken, Caen was perhaps the most ambitious of those targets and the thrust at Caen met the only organised german counterattack of the day and was held back.

He had however planned for what to do if Caen didnt fall on day one, and his plan for that worked brilliantly.

also he did a brilliant job with the ardennes battle although a poorer job at the subsequent press conference

Btw they got their medals.
But 60 years later and the Dutch had to give them.