So

So...

How hairy were they "back then."

Depends on what you mean on "back then" and where. Different eras and different cultures had and still have different tastes. Going by your pic, in the late 15thC, most of continental europe was into trimmed pubes, shaved pit and shaved legs on women for both hygiene and aesthetics. Same with mens facial hair. Smooth faces were "in" as a fashion in your pic's period. It comes and goes, just like it has modernly.

Pic is a 12thC relief from Italy, depicting a woman shaving her pubic hair.

Any other questions?

>an actual helpful, on-topic post

What the FUCK is going on?

Summer is over.

They made sculptures of fucking everything didn't they?

>Don't worry dear wife I'll make sure everyone knows you shaved your vajayjay once you're dead

Why was this done?

....I am Gropey. I know I haven't been on in a while, but I actually do give a shit about history.

FINALLY. Its tough in the museum biz.

Yes. Yes they did.

Its from the outer wall of the Tosa Gate of Milan, famous for the high class of their prostitutes.

I do hope you recognize the irony in naming yourself Gropey and responding to a sexual question

Someone post that account by a Muslim doctor during the Crusades about how a Frankish Knight was blown away by the local practice of shaving pubes that he asked that doc's servant to shave him & his wife.

If you think thats ironic that name is, you have some catching up to do.

11thC if I recall. It was out of fashion outside of Italy and Spain at the time. Someone discovered a kink.

Pic is ancient Greek, of a woman having another shave/pluck her pubic hair. Also popular among the later Romans.

Muslims practising hygiene? In the 11th century? What the fuck?

Nice to see you back Gropey.

In rome around 95% of women shaved, trimmed, or something like that. Pubic hair was seen as uncivilized.

Good to be back. Not as many troll threads lately it seems.

Still too many though

>HURR YUR NAME IS ABOUT SEX!
Oh you innocent summer child... Gropey is both awesome, and fucked up in ways you shall soon appreciate.

>I've been here longer than you!
Grats

That statue can't be real.

Well... would you?

It is. It is a monument depicting a prostitute and it was meant as an insult to some king or emperor who tried to conquer some Italian city in which said (extremely wealthy) prostitute lived. She donated money for weapons and armour etc. if memory serves me. The city defended itself sucessfully and remained unconquered, and the monument was carved and placed at the city gate. Think of it as medieval trolling of an enemy king.

The important bit here is this - as it was back then so is it now. Only whores shave. A shaved vagina is a public toilet.

>Only Whores shaved
Not at all true, and another stupid Victorianism. Various historic self care guides all talk about it in different time periods. Like clowntrip said, different fashions in different eras.