Later, as the Great Purge continued...

>Later, as the Great Purge continued, the NKVD came to interrogate and arrest Budyonny; Budyonny's response was to arm himself with his service Nagant M1895 revolver and call Stalin to demand he have the agents removed. Stalin complied and the event was not discussed again.

Why didn't anyone else try this during the Terror?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/A57gNcOdduo?t=2h15m5s
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Stalin was part Klingon. He respected people who stood up to him. Sadly, most of his entourage was toadies who eventually probably had him poisoned.

>the purges killed 3 of 5 marshals
>75 of 80 military council members
>every flag officer above rear admiral
>14 of 16 army commanders
>60 of 67 corps commanders
>68% of division commanders, 55% of brigade commanders, 79% of regimental commanders, 87% of battalion commanders
>only Budyonny, of all fucking people, realized he could just pull a gun and tell them to fuck off

Was he the most alpha man in the USSR?

They were all pussies and bootlickers, no wonder Stalin despised them. He lived to intimidate that kind of people, his regime was built on intimidation.

Budyonny simply didn't fear Stalin, and Stalin realized that. He could've easily had him shot despite all but chose not to, because he wouldn't feel the same kind of pleasure like he would feel eliminating some spineless faggot.

> come fight me yourself, Koba you son a whore
> Stalin complied and the event was not discussed again

Actually many tried this and a few succeeded

Beria himself was about to purged by Yezhov, but he learnt about it, and hurried to Stalin himself and told him then Stalin stopped the case

Didn't stalin disarm the officers at some point like ban them from carrying their service pistols?

Actually, there are plenty of stories like this where the people that actually stood up to Stalin were spared.

I think he had a lot of respect for that kind of thing, whereas sneaky, self-serving cowards were of no worth to him.

>When the leadership gathered at Stalin's dacha at Kuntsevo, Stalin shouted at Voroshilov for the losses; Voroshilov replied in kind, blaming the failure on Stalin for eliminating the Red Army's best generals in his purges. Voroshilov followed this retort by smashing a platter of roast suckling pig on the table. Nikita Khrushchev said it was the only time he ever witnessed such an outburst.

>In September 1941 he commanded the Leningrad Front. Working alongside military commander Andrei Zhdanov as German advances threatened to cut off Leningrad, he displayed considerable personal bravery in defiance of heavy shelling at Ivanovskoye; at one point he rallied retreating troops and personally led a counter-attack against German tanks armed only with a pistol.

Voroshilov is my marshal husbando

>sneaky, self-serving cowards
Beria?

There is probably more to his survival than that, being a member of the backwards cavalry clique (along with Timoshenko, Voroshilov, Meretskov, Kulik, and even people like Khrushchev and Zhukov) would of played a much larger role.

badass

this scene is about this, but it was moved to after the nazi invasion
youtu.be/A57gNcOdduo?t=2h15m5s

Did Bud have family? Threatening family members is one of the most effective ways to get people to comply. It's easier to grab a gun and tell the authorities to fuck off when you have nobody else in the world that needs you looking out for them.

Not to mention Stalin decided that Bud was politically harmless and kept him around as a scapegoat.

He had a daughter and two sons.
Sure he got scapegoated, but he lived 20 years longer than Stalin and died a three-times Hero of the Soviet Union with songs commemorating his bravery and his name immortalized in a breed of high quality horses.

nigga's life is the epitome of "lost some battles, won the war"

> Stalin complied and the event was not discussed again

>The weak should fear the strong

To be honest, it's easy to yell at your boss when he's going to get you killed no matter what you do.

He was a hero of the revoluton. Also I get the impression Stalin liked tough guys like Zhukov, the fact Semyon wasn't immediately killed and his next move was to call Stalin rather than try to abscond showed bravado.

The purpose of the purge was to eliminate the chance of a military coup, so leaving 1 or 2 old guard with blind loyalty to Stalin did not affect this objective.

>sign a death warrant for huge group of people
>several call and say stop
>they are not killed
Wow I love bureaucracy especially with guns.

but Beria served Stalin, not himself

>the Great Purge was actually just a big trick to see who would stand up to Stalin
>everyone failed but Beria and the guy in OP
Russian intellectuals

Most of those people werent actual soldiers and got into their position by being Kike and licking Bronstein´s ass. Actual problem was pure surprise in Barbarossa and lack of experienced NCO´s after the losses in summer.
Budyonnyj is higly underestimated commander, he knew what are Krauts trying to do at Kiev but units were too disorganized to act.

Because not everyone was civil war buddies with Stalin.

>back down as soon someone's standing up to you
Sounds like Stalin was just a self-serving coward on top of a pile of cowards.

Another statistic I've heard is 80% of men colonel and higher.

"dude, horses, lmao" - Budyonny

>repeatedly request permission to withdraw from Kiev to avoid being encircled
>Stavka: "lol no"
>gets blamed for the inevitable result

Budyonny did nothing wrong.

>In 1937, when Budyonny commanded the Moscow Military District, he was a party to Marshal Mikhail Tukhachevsky's trial during the Great Purge. He provided testimony that Tukhachevsky's efforts to create an independent tank corps was so inferior to horse cavalry and so illogical that it amounted to deliberate "wrecking". To this denouncement, the doomed Tukhachevsky (now considered a pioneering innovator in tank warfare) blankly replied "I feel I'm dreaming".[2] Tukhachevsky was subsequently sentenced to death.
I like this guy a lot

>progresstowardsfullcommunism.jpg

Yes. He and Molotov (who also suffered in his time) were like a dynamic duo bullying other communist leaders. This guy was the only one who stood up for himself. Stalin allowed him to live because he considered him a clown.
Madman even had the guts to openly say that the Russkies should remember who beat them in 1920 knowing he was being wiretapped.
Funny commie. But Stalin liked fiesty people. He knew he was scary as fuck.

The "Virgin Mechanization"
>Signs full confession
>Stumbles out of courtroom in a daze
>Can't believe this is happening
>Dies a traitor's death, requires rehabilitation

THE CHAD CAVALRYMAN
>Holds NKVD Agents at gunpoint
>Has excellent horses named after him
>Stalin complied and the matter was not mentioned again
>Retires a Hero of the Soviet Union

He was right tho, Red army never adopted original Tukhachevsky ´s original plan

Cool

topkek

I always imagined Tukhachevsky as a complete beta.

Tukhachevsky was a very smart and loved guy, the exact type of person Stalin hated

lol

you forgot
>would raid fortified lines with horses and come back unscathed
and
>guided by Genghis Khan's spirit

the Chad Budyonny vs the Virgin Stalin