Can we have a /wholesome/ Christianity thread?

Can we have a /wholesome/ Christianity thread?
How's your week been?
Kings Kaleidoscopes new album is the most beautiful thing I've heard all year, and I figured I'd share:

youtube.com/watch?v=xP7g5GzT7BY

Other urls found in this thread:

biblequery.org/Doctrine/NeverHeardTheGospel/WhatIfTheyNeverHeardOfJesus.htm
youtube.com/watch?v=9TBY-fvZUy8&list=PLEB3196CE90A7BA87
youtube.com/watch?v=AZQxH_8raCI
youtube.com/watch?v=s-KAvPbO8JY
youtube.com/watch?v=KGlx11BxF24
youtube.com/watch?v=r5L6QlAH3L4
youtube.com/watch?v=5qg_zBXZp4o
youtube.com/watch?v=mgRSMa4eaJQ
youtube.com/watch?v=C9ujBoud26k
mechanical-translation.org/mtt/G22.html
youtube.com/watch?v=noetoc2W4Pc
en.wiktionary.org/wiki/ψυχή#Ancient_Greek
youtube.com/watch?v=_yAPaPvmUUY
youtu.be/-5L1Z-K0O_k
youtu.be/3wm4RlnnaOU
youtu.be/o81A31hlgEA
youtu.be/mhTcxqKhKHQ
youtu.be/8LIMr9E14iQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

So, I've been learning Hebrew and Koine Greek in an attempt to read the Bible in the original languages.

And I'm going through Genesis, and I got to the binding of Isaac episode. Here's the hebrew for the first clause of Gen 22:2

>וַיֹּאמֶר קַח-נָא אֶת-בִּנְךָ אֶת-יְחִידְךָ אֲשֶׁר-אָהַבְתָּ, אֶת-יִצְחָק

Which like if you use the KJV,

>And he said, Take now thy son, thine only son Isaac, whom thou lovest,

Or perhaps the NASB, which gives

>He said, “Take now your son, your only son, whom you love, Isaac,

If you read the Hebrew closely though, you have the third word "נָא" Which means "please", and indicates a request. You see it translated in other instances, but I've only found one translation that even mentions it (ISV). Why is it phrased as a request and not a command? Why is it overlooked in so many translations? What, if anything, are we supposed to take away from it?

I'm thinking super hard, but failing to have a mind-blowing conclusion. I agree with you that it seems significant.

Maybe part of God's test of obedience involves framing it as a request, as a request is much easier to deny than a demand. However, one does not simply deny a request made by God, so the scholars translating may have not thought it to be significant.

Bump

Judaism has a stronger theology than the trinity.

Bump

But Jewish theology supports the Trinity.

Why would you feed a troll in the /wholesome/ thread?

your god is a lie and the sacrifices you make in his name is pointless and in vain

This.
Forcing someone to do something doesn't prove anything.

What does Christianity say of the souls of peoples of the past? The ones who obviously would never heard of even the Hebrew monotheistic religion. What is their fate through God's judgment?

>Can we have a /wholesome/ Christianity thread?
Sure, as long as the Catholics stay out.

> implying denominations matter

>What does Christianity say of the souls of peoples of the past? The ones who obviously would never heard of even the Hebrew monotheistic religion. What is their fate through God's judgment?

biblequery.org/Doctrine/NeverHeardTheGospel/WhatIfTheyNeverHeardOfJesus.htm

Which begs the question, if you, as a christian, came upon someone who knew nothing of god, why would you tell them something that could condemn them?

Catholics ruined Christianity, so yes, they matter

So they can experience the joy and beauty that comes with living a life for Him

Just because something is true....

They are dommed just like the people before the flood

bump

If you're going to open the thread with CCM, at least make it good OP. Pic related is master race.

youtube.com/watch?v=9TBY-fvZUy8&list=PLEB3196CE90A7BA87

The consistent Reformed answer is that all souls are worthy of damnation because of their sin, and that any God chooses to save through faith in Christ is a blessing.

Because they are condemned already. Creation's testimony leaves unbelieving man with no excuse.
John 3:18
>He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God

I mean I like him too, but I thought KK WAS good....

Christian rock is nothing but hacks using appeal to the religious market to compensate for their mediocrity, plus they all seem to have the kind of whiny voices that I associate with the worst groups of the 90s and 00s and imitate the shittiest contemporary pop music. I think the uncomfortable fact for Christians to face is that Christianity's day in the sun as an inspiration for art is over. Most of the best art of the 20th century was secular and more of it was anti-religious than religious, at least in the field of music. That's what makes the entire idea of Christianity-themed rock bands embarrassing, it's so at odds with the dominant aesthetic of the genre. That's not to say Christian rock/pop music can't work; in the late '60s and early '70s there was actually a non-negligible amount of good, popular, God-worshiping music, but it was usually wedded to psychedelia and therefore had more to do with acid and weed than reading the Bible or attending church. For example:
youtube.com/watch?v=AZQxH_8raCI
youtube.com/watch?v=s-KAvPbO8JY
Why can't "contemporary Christian music" produce anything to rival these songs written by a Jew and a Hindu larper respectively?

Bump

>wholesome
>Christianity

Pick one.

>John 3:18

way to misinterpret. I don't think some un-contacted Inuit from the 10th century will be in condemned because he never heard of christ.

How do you respond to Tovia Singer having refuted Christianity?

>hates Catholics meanwhile Orthodox get a free pass as always.

American Protestantism is a fucking joke, no roots in Jesus Christ. The Catholic Church was found by Christ on saint peter, Protestants are founded by Tom at his house.

Yea what about the first self-aware creative apes? Or other species that had huge brains and manifested in tool building, ceremonies and so on but went extinct?

I'm an atheist so to speak and I have to confess, sometimes I watch this video - like once a month and become really sad - I always try to pretend I watch it for the first time to instill the same feeling over and over again.. thinking how perfect if would've been if it was real.

youtube.com/watch?v=KGlx11BxF24

Favorite Catholic philosophers?
Any good books on how to battle the Seven Deadly Sins?

I think your perception of Christian rock is still based on the Chris Tomlin/Switchfoot era which is currently entering its legacy stage and is seen as passe by younger believers. There is a lot of great contemporary praise music that draws from secular trends while still maintaining a worshipful feeling. I would say Bethel Music and Hillsong are the vanguard of this new sound that is primarily acoustic driven but incorporates ethereal synths and soaring yet simple electric guitar lines. Here are a few songs that I think capture where praise music is at right now:

youtube.com/watch?v=r5L6QlAH3L4

youtube.com/watch?v=5qg_zBXZp4o

youtube.com/watch?v=mgRSMa4eaJQ

youtube.com/watch?v=C9ujBoud26k

>The Catholic Church was found by Christ on saint peter
>"Peter, you need to go to Rome and found your own Church where a bunch of Italians will come together and have drug-fueled orgies and fuck underage prostitutes. Make sure to found a ban to fund the whole thing too, you know how I love moneylenders in my temples. t. Jesus"
>This is what Catholics actually believe

Mechanical Translation
>and he said, please take your son, your solitary one which you love, Yits'hhaq and you will walk to the land of Moriyah and make him go up there for a burnt offering upon one of the hills which I will say to you,

Rotherham's Emphasised Bible
>And he said—Take, I pray thee, thy son, thine only one, whom thou lovest, even, Isaac, and get thee into the land of Moriah,—and cause him to ascend there, as an ascending-sacrifice, on one of the mountains, which I shall name unto thee.

mechanical-translation.org/mtt/G22.html

>The Catholic Church was found by Christ on saint peter
Yes and that Catholic Church is Orthodox Church, Not a Papist ripoff

so there is salvation outside of faith in Christ? Because that's what you're proposing. The un-contacted Inuit from the 10th century was just as evil and debased a sinner as you and I. God is not required to grant him another means of salvation.

"A Prayer" is such a good song.

But why would he condemn him to damnation for being born in the "wrong" spot?

A possible answer >biblequery.org/Doctrine/NeverHeardTheGospel/WhatIfTheyNeverHeardOfJesus.htm

>A Post-Death Salvation Opinion
>This view hinges on two verses: 1 Peter 4:5-6 and Eph 4:8-10. 1 Peter 4:5-6 says that after Christ died he preached to the spirits in prison. Prison is not a term that describes where the righteous dead (like Abraham) went before Christ. Rather it describes either where lost human souls went before Christ or else other souls (some demons and/or Nephilim) were before Christ. Rather than simply informing them of what happened on earth, Jesus preached so they could make the same choice they would have made on earth. It does not mean there is a second chance after death, rather there is a first chance for those who never had a chance.

What is the soul, and where does it reside? How does it interact with the body, and is it part of the mind?

just a spook

That's all garbage and just continues the existing trend of shitty Christian music. If you're going to completely divorce yourself from 1800 years of Christian tradition and 3000 years of Western tradition you might as well make it sound good.

This is a good example of what Christian music should sound like if you (for whatever reason) want to take a shit on 1800-3000 years of tradition, and I'm not even a Byzaboo:

youtube.com/watch?v=noetoc2W4Pc

2 Corinthians 6:14-17

(14) Do not be unequally yoked together with unbelievers. For what fellowship has righteousness with lawlessness? And what communion has light with darkness? (15) And what accord has Christ with Belial? Or what part has a believer with an unbeliever? (16) And what agreement has the temple of God with idols? For you are the temple of the living God. As God has said:
"I will dwell in them
And walk among them.
I will be their God,
And they shall be My people."
(17) Therefore "Come out from among them
And be separate, says the Lord.
Do not touch what is unclean,
And I will receive you."

2 Corinthians 7:1

(1) Therefore, having these promises, beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God.

Looks like it. Different cultures have different ideas on where the seat of the soul lies such as the blood, the heart, the breath thus the reason for sayings like "take it to the heart" or "learn by heart".
en.wiktionary.org/wiki/ψυχή#Ancient_Greek

I want to be Christian. But when I pray my heart out, and beg God to remove theae impure urges, and all I get is silence, its discouraging to sta the least. I also commite dthr unforgivable sin of blasphemy.

Pop music is a continuation of the Western tradition user and in fact, clinging to the antiquated just because it is old is actually a form of idolatry.

youtube.com/watch?v=_yAPaPvmUUY

You probably haven't heard this one though.
youtu.be/-5L1Z-K0O_k

Also these Bulgarian hymns sound like they have some Altaic throat singing influence. Inherited from ancient Bulgars maybe if so but Russians also have similar chants which could be either due to Tartar influence or maybe Altaic nomads inherited throat singing from Christians.
youtu.be/3wm4RlnnaOU
youtu.be/o81A31hlgEA
youtu.be/mhTcxqKhKHQ
youtu.be/8LIMr9E14iQ

How do you interpret revelation? Its not something thats has yet to happen is it?

Catholics aren't Christian

LARPing 'traditionalists' from /pol/ aren't Christian. SSPX can go fuck itself, and I say this as a Catholic.

shoo shoo joo.

of course we can

If you're catholic and not right wing, you're insane.

While I admit that is a tricky passage to interpret, I don't think it is the answer wants. The simple answer is the only answer. God created that individual, placed him where he pleased, and that individual is still sinful and defiant towards his Creator. God is not unjust to damn him. He is indeed just to condemn him and punish him for sin.

God is not unjust because of the numerical quantity of sinners who believe or don't. God is just, period.

This criticism only works for Protestant aka bottom teir denominatons.

In the Eastern Orthodox church there is a saying "We know where the church is but not where it isn't". We evangilize because while it is possible for a non-Christian to make their way into to heaven, in the same way it is possible for a blind man to find his way though a maze, the only certain path is through the Orthodox Church.

Protestants have the minds of Children and ignore the first 1000 years of church history.

Non-canon ramblings of an insane and bigoted Jew who thought only Jews could be Christian, cloaked with mysticism to prevent the Roman authorities from burning it for being anti-Roman rantings.

Appealing to the lowest common denominator doesn't get you converts or believers, it gets you people who are """""""spiritual"""""" and want their current lifestyle gratified. When the Apostles gave in because their beliefs were unpopular Christ told them to get their asses in li-

Oh. You're one of those LE EBIN DESU FAULT types who jerks off to the OT, aren't you?

Jesus appealed to the lowest common denominator. Did you think sinners and tax collectors were a sophisticated theological bunch?

Also,

>The Book of Revelation
>Non-canon ramblings

Why are you even posting in a Christian thread?

>Truly I tell you, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven.

Not what I meant but this proves my point. A response as dull as Protestant theology.

>THE CREEDS OF FOUR COUNCILS RECEIVED. And, to say many things with a few words, with a sincere heart we believe, and freely confess with open mouth, whatever things are defined from the Holy Scriptures concerning the mystery of the incarnation of our Lord Jesus Christ, and are summed up in the Creeds and decrees of the first four most excellent synods convened at Nicaea, Constantinople, Ephesus and Chalcedon -- together with the Creed of blessed Athanasius, and all similar symbols; and we condemn everything contrary to these.

>THE SECTS. And in this way we retain the Christian, orthodox and catholic faith whole and unimpaired; knowing that nothing is contained in the aforesaid symbols which is not agreeable to the Word of God, and does not altogether make for a sincere exposition of the faith.

>Jesus said to be like children
>Criticize Protestants for being like children

You do realize that Lust is considered the least deadly of the 7 sins while Pride is considered the deadliest?

Paul tells us to put away childish things. I get it though. Protestants are only capable of interpreting things literally so it makes sense why you're having so much trouble with my statement.

Jesus > Paul

I knew you we're going to say that.

You have to default to that because it's all your literalist frame of mind can handle and still be logically consistent. Even thought your response admits that the Bible contradicts itself which is something no Protestant believes.

That's no Protestant. Protestants believe ALL Scripture to be the Word. "Jesus > Paul" is not a Protestant hermeneutic. That's liberalism.

If he wasn't a Protestant he wouldn't have come in to incorrectly contest my criticism of Protestantism's shallow theology.

Well if you want to be pedantic about it then you need to carefully study Jesus and Paul's words to see that they're actually talking about different things. Jesus says to be like a child whereas Paul is saying to put childish /things/ aside. Jesus is talking about an internal attitude and Paul is talking about external objects so there is no contradiction.

Are you my judge? Furthermore, if you think Paul has the same authority as Jesus then you are in error.

>Jesus is talking about an internal attitude

I know this. I wasn't talking about an internal attitude when I made my first comment. I was talking about the weak theology Protestants have.

You said "Protestants have the minds of Children" () and "the mind" is an internal attribute.