The artwork of Chehel Sutun has a much more "western" feel, especially with respect to the colors...

The artwork of Chehel Sutun has a much more "western" feel, especially with respect to the colors, than most Persian frescos. Did Tahmasp hire a European to help paint it?

*Abbas, not Tahmasp
Anyway, some more pictures

nope
that was just well made
arab art is like that
pic related was pre islam art

Wait, there's battles of Nadir Shah among the murals. Are you sure that the paintings are from the time of Abbas? Was heba time traveler? I was under the impression that it was simply Qajar style.

According to Wikipedia it was a later addition

No, that was just the style at the time. Mughal art was heavily influenced by European art in the 16th century (pic related) and they passed this on to Persia in the late 17th. I assume the Persians were also inspired by direct contact with European art too.

Speaking of Abbas, how would you rate his banter level?

>The Safavids had not yet beaten their archrival, the Ottomans, in battle. After a particularly arrogant series of demands from the Turkish ambassador, the Shah had him seized, had his beard shaved and sent it to his master, the sultan, in Constantinople. This was effectively a declaration of war.

Was the main avenue of cultural transmission from the Mughals to the Safavids, or vice versa?

Shaving one's facial hair was essentially saying he was a eunuch, so that's pretty good bantz

Different Abbas. You're talking about the first, Chehel Sotun is the palace of Abbas II. Abbas I the Great built Ali Qapu.

As far as I know it went from the Safavids to the Mughals in the 16th century then back the other way in the late 17th century. That's probably too simplistic though.

Meant for

Also he was a pretty GOAT tactician. Seriously if not for a certain rebellion its very likely he would've heavily damaged the Ottoman Empire and crippled it for good.
>Several years of peace followed as the Ottomans carefully planned their response. But their secret training manoeuvres were observed by Iranian spies. Abbas learnt that the Ottoman plan was to invade Iran via Azerbaijan, take Tabriz then move on to Ardabil and Qazvin, which they could use as bargaining chips in exchange for other territories. The shah decided to lay a trap.
>He would allow the Ottomans to enter the country, then destroy them. He had Tabriz evacuated of its inhabitants while he waited at Ardabil with his army. In 1618, an Ottoman army of 100,000 led by the grand vizier, invaded and easily seized Tabriz.
>The vizier sent an ambassador to the shah demanding he make peace and return the lands taken since 1602.Abbas refused and pretended he was ready to set fire to Ardabil and retreat further inland rather than face the Ottoman army.
>When the Turkish vizier heard the news, he decided to march on Ardabil right away. This was just what Abbas wanted. His army of 40,000 was hiding at a crossroads on the way and they ambushed the Ottoman army in a battle, which ended in complete victory for the Iranians.

The opposite, Persia got them directly from Europeans, and later Persian miniature influenced Mughal art and architecture, the Mughal got their European influence sometimes later from the Portuguese
Pic related Vank cathedral in Iran built for christian minorities, you can see similarities in the art style

Did Mughal art have the same heavy Mongol/Chinese influences that early Safavid art did, given that they were a Mongol line?

Safavids aren't Turkic or Mongolic but in general that art style from the Mongol period and onwards up to the late Qajar period was the definitive "vogue" in Western Asia. It was considered fashionable, the highest form of illustrative artwork, and sophisticated.

damn, those are really cool

what manga is this?

Was it also popular in Muslim-ruled India?

He meant that the indian Timurids/Mughals were mongolian, not the Safavids

No, Persian miniatures spread to the Mughals in the 16th century before any European influence, then underwent European influence in the Mughal Empire in the later 16th century. There are even Mughal study paintings directly copying European ones. European influence didn't enter Persia until the second half of the 17th century.

You might be right about Persians being influenced directly by Europeans, I'm not sure about that, but it definitely wasn't until the later period.

Chinese influences entered the Persian miniature tradition in the 14th and 15th centuries, and was inherited by both the Safavids and Mughals.

Pretty sure yeah.
Gotcha.

Also the current cathedral and the palace was built in roughly around the same era, around 1640-1660s
Pic for comparison

Here are some of those Mughal study paintings.

Jai Maa

And here are some European/Mughal influenced David miniatures.

*Safavid

Beautiful

I'm tired of you coming into every thread relating to Persia/Iran and saying we were like NW Europeans before "being mongrelized". Even when BTFO with scientific evidence and actual depictions of pre-Islamic Persians of themselves, you continue to act like a broken record.

Honestly, I would bring back scaphism especially for you.