Can we have a stories from war, that were passed down through family/family friends?

Can we have a stories from war, that were passed down through family/family friends?

>be American Civil War
>some guy, can'tr remember relation (either grandpa/cousin/family friend)
>fighting for Dixie
>random battle against yankees
>a mini-ball hits right where his heart is
>Wtf I didn't die?.jpg
>turns out a coin he had stopped the bullet

Mine is kinda boring.. Any interesting ones?

Pic semi-related

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=rOzhxe5RK6I
youtube.com/watch?v=lGfLIy9r5L8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

My Dad's boss right out of law school served in Vietnam. He was from Guatemala and immigrated to the US at age 16. He finished up his last year of high school in LA. One of his teachers told him that he could afford to go to college if he joined the Military, so he did. As I said, he moved from Guatemala, so his english was a tad shoddy: When he went to go enlist, he thought he was joining the Navy, but he accidentally joined the Marines, at age 17 and 5'2. He was a "Tunnel Rat" for 3 straight years. He told my dad that most of the guys he knew maybe did three or four missions before calling it quits, and that went into the tunnels more than 100 times.

Will share more stories he told my dad if anyone cares.

Share some, tunnel rats were badass

Three of my four grandparents are buried at this cemetery. I have also identified and visited the stone upon which the eagle alighted in the picture - it's not far from my maternal grandparents, say maybe a quarter mile or so, in the middle of the grounds.

Dad's dad is buried up on a hill, toward the cemetery's edge. Grandma divorced him and so instead rests peacefully a few miles west on a private plot with her sister.

I've got a bit of a funny one
>Great Great Grandpa was a sniper in the First World War
>Fought in Ypres, Somme, was gassed
>Caught twice, escaped behind enemy lines both times
>Managed to assassinate a German officer at night escaping along rooftops, and had to evade furious German troops by diving into a barrel of strawberry jam
>Also fought in the second Boer war as a drummer boy for the British army, saw some crazy shit.
>Loved fighting, even showed up to the recruitment office at the beginning of WWII wearing his WWI fatigues at the age of almost 60.
>Died while coming out of a legion after the war, when he pushed his friend out of the way of a drunk driver and was run down
A true patriot. He also had loads of tattoos he received in India done prison-style with blue ink.

Met an old couple at a militaria fair in the UK with Rhodesia is Super t-shirts at a stall, asked if they were from there, and they were

>Wife told me how the women were required to shoot regularly and learn self defense
>Guy tells me how he was in the military, and some strange tactics
>Set up alternating borders between them and Mozambique, where the rebels are coming in from
>these borders are large open fields of No Man's Land, a fence, a brush area with mines, and then another area of No Man's Land. If you're seen in that area you're shot
>Practiced the tactic of "engage, take out as many as you can, then run like hell. Just as the enemy starts to slow down, turn around and light them up. Repeat, don't let them escape." The 'run and return fire' method is used a lot but isn't cool to show on movies
>Paraphrasing:
"Hey user, if you like history, look up this raid a friend was on - Nyadzonya Raid. One of our commanders caught wind of a communist camp in Mozambique, and was having none of it. We - our boys - we put on blackface and started singing rebel songs. Rolled in the front gates, popped the guard without nobody seeing. We lit the camp up, and killed a thousand. We recon for every one we killed, we injured three. The camp was just empty, their leaders escaped, but said in interviews, 'I stood in a sea of brass.' The best part was only 4 of our boys were injured, and that was because a vehicle hit a rough spot hauling ass back to Rhodesia!"
>Look this up
>84 Selous Scouts vs 3000 commies
>no deaths on the Rhodie side
>Commies and the UN accused them of massacring a refugee camp, just like they accused when they lit up some farm in retaliation for the Viscount shootdown and machete murders
>documents came out much later that proved the UN had no info it was refugee camp, and that they just wanted to run Rhodesia through the mud; It was purely a training camp

Fucking amazing people. There was an Angolan merc there with a VOTE SAVIMBI shirt, too

Over a dozen of my family members died fighting Austrians in WWI

The one remaining male had a son (my grandfather) that fought in WWII and was in a prison camp in Montenegro throughout the war. He remained even after the war was over and was later released some time later.

My great grandfather was a Russian commander for a Calvary unit in WW1, and apparently, while charging with his troops, he got crushed by a Landship that came out of the trench.

>all 4 great grandads fought in WW II
>I had the privilege to meet all of them
>one was a trueblood commie
>he kept fighting in some unit up to Berlin
>his in law was caught by the Soviets during the German retreat in 44
>he had a German kinda name so he was sent to a labor camp although he was just a Romanian peasant
>his in law later went to the prison camp and got him out
>he himself ended up in prison for criticising the regime in the 50s
Those 2 are on me mom's side

>one great grandpa fought at Stalingrad
>got caught by Soviets
>the sergeant in the platoon that captured him was Moldovan
>he was so happy to hear Romanian he kept him around for a month
>he helped him escape later
>they met 25 years later in Romania although they held correspondence for decades after
>great grandpa only left the country one time after the war: to go to his saviour and friend's funeral
>didn't bring flowers just a bullet the Soviet Romanian gave him after his escape, saying: "that would have entered your head had you not been Romanian, keep it until one of us is dead, it saved your life"
>he grieved for him the rest of his life
>the other great grandps got a medal for shooting down 2 allied planes in one night with his AA gun crew
>threw his medals away
>he always said "I don't need a reminder for my foul deeds. Shiny ribbons won't bring those 2 English lads to their families"
>died 2 days after he put a thief that broke into his house in the hospital by beating him with his cane
>he was 85

I had 3 family members die at Kolubara fighting Serbians. They were Serbians from around Bela Crvka. Fucking Habsburgs.

My Grandma's first husband died in the battle of the bulge. She remarried and had my mother....(2nd husband died at age 50 when my mom was 18. I look exactly like him)....but anyway, I owe my existence to hitler

A great heritage

I don't think it's a stretch to say all of us do

Great grandfather fought in WWII. He was in Europe and luckily did not have to charge the beaches. His hands shook at times without explanation. I asked him why but he just blamed how cold it was. Finally, when I was ten and I realized that the 82 degree Michigan summer was not making him shiver I pressed into him for an answer. He sat me down and told me:

>Winter was hard
>Foxhole rim got frosty from his breath
>Day passed with only distant, sporadic gun-fire
>Fell asleep while on duty
>He ended up slipping deeper into the hole because of how icy the rim was
>Woke him up
>He slowly crept back up
>German crawling towards him
>Called out to alert the others
>German rose up
>Grandpa shouted for him to stop
>Took aim
>German dropped something onto the ground
>Goes to pick it up
>Grandpa looses a .30-06 bullet into the side of head
>Rings through the helmet once but fails to come out the other side
>Product is a steaming stew of skull shards, flesh, and brains sloshing out of the German's helmet
>Grandpa waits for more to come
>None come
>He finally crawls over the the German
>Looks into pockets for anything
>Finds picture of family
>Finds ID stating he is 16 years old
>Looks onto the ground and sees a piece of paper
>It just said in poorly scribbled English "I surrender, help"
>Crawls back into foxhole to try and deal with what he did

By this point in the story, my Great-Grandpa was actually crying. His hands were wildly vibrating with tremors and he swayed forwards then back as he did. All I could do was hug the guy. I held him tight until he finally got his breathing under control. I never asked him again about the war

>great-grandfather was young enough to volunteer for WWII
>go into Navy, get placed as a cook
>marines invade an island, get picked to run a chow tent in camp
I can't remember what island, forgive me
>get put on guard
>tell Seargeant at Arms he doesn't have a rifle
>guy gives him a fucking broom, tells him it'll make it look like he has a rifle
>standing around on guard, bored as fuck
>take a piss next to a berm
>hear rustling in the brush on opposite side of berm
>ohfuckme.jpg
>don't even wait to put dick away, charge around berm
>wielding broom like a sledgehammer
>hear someone break cover and sprint around to the other side
>change direction, charge around the other way
>Jap does too
>chases this guy around the berm for like 10 minutes like they're in a cartoon
>suddenly change direction like 4 times
>charging around berm like a madman
>SMACK!
>CRASH!
>*confused yelling*
>whatthefuckjusthappened.wav
>why is everything getting dark?
>Sergeant at Arms wakes grandfather up
>"Sailor, you want to tell me what you were doing with an unconscious Jap with your dick out?"
>hfw
Apparently they smacked into each other running around the berm. The Jap had a helmet that split Granddads forehead open, but they hit so hard it knocked them both out and made enough noise for other people to show up and investigate.

They gave him a commendation medal for capturing a Japapnese scout and a purple heart for getting wounded. He said he never lived down "getting caught with his pants down," the rest of his enlistment. It was his favorite story.

As a bonus
>uncle did 3 tours in Vietnam
>infantry first 2, apparently did some MAC-SOG shit on his last one
>never even had so much as a scratch
>gets out, comes home
>goes dove hunting with his brothers
>they get shitfaced like the hillbillies they are
>uncle blows off all the toes on his right foot with his shotgun
He tells people he stepped on a mine, of course.

Mild kek, embellished or not I like it

>31 ancestors donned the Grey and marched off the war to the beat of the fife and drum
>fought from the bloody fields of Gettysburg, to the parapets of Fort Wagner, to the wilderness of Missouri
>served as chaplains, infantrymen, scouts, and Bushwhackers
>out of 31, two were still alive by war's end

feelsbadman

pic related, Chaplain/Doctor for the 11th Mississippi Infantry Regiment

jesus christ.
I love these threads, but war is hell.

my uncle was a rodeo cowboy
he had to leave Vietnam because he kept having rodeo nightmares

Mine hardly counts, but it's all I got

>Grandfather waiting on a boat to go from Panama to America
>Boat stalls and the trip gets delayed
>Grandfather loses nerve over the safety of the ship and refuses to go
>Boat heads out to sea without him and gets torpedoed

Here's one about a pretty famous relative of mine
>The mountain area around still abounds in John Wright tales. After the Civil War, one hears he served as a peace officer and later worked as a land agent when John C. C. Mayo was acquiring the acreage which became the vast holdings of Consolidation Coal Company. As a peace officer, Wright engaged in many a shoot-out; as a matter of fact, one story holds that his greatest regret is that he never quite broke even in this life, what with having sired 27 children, but having killed 28 men in gun battles. Old-timers recall hearing him tell about going once to serve a warrant on a notorious man who vowed he would never be arrested. He was sitting in the front room; that he remembered. Wright said, "When I walked in, he didn't say nothing, just whipped out his pistol and snapped the hammer down on the empty chamber. By then, I were getting kind of nervous, of course, so I yanked out my pistol and shot him. If that taught me anything, it were to never let no man to get the draw on me."
Pic related is another relative, the giant of seville, who was an officer during the civil war. He was 7 some feet tall. Reportedly, the two served in the same unit during the civil war

Here's more from Devil John Wright, cus why not
>"...and feel I have done my duty. Some killings had to be done in them terrible days just after the war. There were too many horse thiefs and murderers. But I always gave a man a chance. Many a time I was shot at before I raised my gun." I suppose you practice shooting a great deal. "Every day," he came back, "I got so I race my horse, swing under his neck times in rapid succession each time and as I come to the top, place a bullet in the center of the tree along the road." How many did you carry? "One, just one — no use for more for by the time one was empty, I had my man or was ready to do something else." What kind of gun did you carry? ".38 usually, sometimes I carried my war gun which is a .34." He stated he got his gun off a dead man on the banks of the Mississippi. "I saw the man couldn't very well use it, and I needed it bad and, sir, she went on through the Civil War with me. Through several battles with the Indians in the West."

As an aside, he had an eyepatch from where an opponent shot out his left eye. Seemed like a cool guy

>be my grandfather, in US Merchant Marine during WW2
>be 21 years old
>be 2nd mate on a "Liberty Ship" cargo supply ship
>do shit like go around Cape Horn with nothing but a change of socks even before the war
>such is life
>during the war be inna Pacific, somewhere vaguely near Tonga
>get torpedoed by Jap submarine
>ship sinking
>captain and first mate take the only motorized lifeboat and take off
>granddad takes command, organises evacuation, gets crew into the lifeboats (oar powered only)
>grabs sextant and charts from bridge
>inna middle of the Pacific, wat do?
>strike out towards Tonga
>hit some uninhabited islet
>post up there for ~2 weeks until rescued, supplementing rations with crabs and coconuts

I've seen some old newspaper clippings that repeat the story, so I'm pretty sure it's all true, but he never got any official recognition for anything that I know of, because no one gave a shit about the merchant fleet. Dude was a badass tho, he got his first independent command as a full captain/master when he was only 23, went on to get an "any ocean/any tonnage" licence (the highest possible to get) and then became a pilot on the Panama Canal.

>husband of grandmas sister fought for the nazis in ww2 together with his closest friend from childhood as pontoneers
>on retreat in france
>got shelled by the germans
>later had to retreat through minefield layed by germans
>his friend stood on a mine, explosion ripping him apart in front of his eyes

>grandfather
>volunteer in finnish civil war
>"we killed a lot of russians boy"

All my grandfather told me about the spanish civil war is that he killed a guy for some potato peels

>Be italian soldier during WW2
>Be stationed in Puglia, Italy
>In barracks
>Walk inside with friend, we find dead people, italians
>Bullets fire at us, they're Germans
"We're italian stop shooting!, we're allies!"
"Not anymore"
>They run away, because unarmed
>Walk from Puglia to Rome for three weeks
Italian military organization was so bad italians didint know they became german enemies

Got another, italian soldier guy
>Be inside U-Boat
>Baltic sea, trying to hunt down soviet ships
>Suddendly get hit
>Everyone goes into panic
>Slowly sinking
>ohshit.jpg
>Manage to get out (dont know how he did it)
>Swim trough baltic sea until reaching east prussia
>Deployed back in Russian front
>Battle of moscow
>So cold that at some point found himself hugging a Soviet so that they dont freeze to death
Dont know any further, im guessing he either deserted or survived the battle, died 3 years ago

>Kuban Cossack
>Batter and hunt jews or some shit
>Called into war
>BrusilovOffensive.jpg
>Speared some blokes from horseback and what not
>Wounded to shit
>Sent home
>Healed just in time to fight commies
>Wounded again
>Went to Finland with some random family when the empire went to fuck
>Settled Finland, married finnish qt
>Fought in Winter War against more commies
>Died at the ripe age of 95

He was supposedly a bit of a hedonist, grandmother said she wouldn't be suprised if we had distant "Tatar", Siberian, Ukrainian and Russian relatives.

All from my grandpa

>be german soldier on the eastern front
>got conscripted in 38 looking forward to the end of military service
>mfw the fuehrer tells us we have to invade poland now
>be frontline radio operator, mostly with forward artillery
>few years later, russia
>spend weeks in a forward position
>only water source is a creek
>knowing that there where decomposing bodies a few hundered meters upstream
>some of those are your buddies
>still having to drink the water

>on the retreat
>chaotic retreat
>they have to pass a bridge under mortar fire
>only way to go is forward
>sit next to the driver on a truck, all the buddies are on the back of the truck
>driver speeds threw
>explosions everywhere
>turn around after the bridge
> back of the truck is gone, everybody dead

>war ends
>spend two weeks sneaking to the west
>finally finding some american soldiers
>gladly surrender to them
>Americans check papers
>"your division was last deployed on the eastern front, gonna have to turn you over to the ruskies"

>spend years in russian labor camp
>it´s worse in winter, having to shovel snow from railroad tracks, that are completely snowed over the next day
>actually be glad when the dead are finally burried in boxes again
>"it made me feel human again"
>get released

He never talked about the war, except when he had to much to drink, which happened about twice or thrice a year. He was a very quiet, stubborn men, he was put in a uniform when he was 18 and didn´t get to live a live without beeing sorounded be death and/or orders until he was 29. Seeing his grandchildren always made him smile. He actully said once, that he held no grudge against the russians. He saw what the germans did and stone cold said, that he would have had no problem if they had executed him, even though he had not participated personally in it.

From my dad, he fought in Croatia in 1991.
>Had two officers
>One was inteligence officer, huge asshole
>Other was regular army officer, his last name could be translated to english as Goodman
>Asshole, former commie, harasses soldiers who wear kokarda (nationalist, monarchist symbol, pic related)
>Captain Goodman is awesome dude, always hangs out with regular soldiers like my dad
>Everyone situated in small village in Slavonija
>Croats fire Malyutka (anti tank guided rocket)
>Rocket hits tank parked in village
>Blast hits Asshole and Cpt Goodman who had a talk nearby
>Asshole is closer to the blast, gets out with one scratch
>Cpt Goodman looks OK at first but have internal bleeding and bleeds from every hole on his body
>Cries in pain
>Dies in pain
I suppose my dad taught me on this example that good people get fucked in life real hard

I also have quiet a few stories how my great grandma fired at ustashas from machinegun during WW2 but that is a story for another time

Damn

>pls tell us about your badass granny

legendary

It goes like this.
>Great grandma is very small woman
>Nevertheless she gave birth to like nene children
>Lived to her 96 year (I met her when she was 95)
>As we say in serbia zena-zmaj (meaning woman-dragon, strong woman)
>She lived her whole life in village in western part of Serbian part of Bosnia, meaning very close to Croatia
>During WW2 in the midle of one Ustasha raid on her village she gave birth to my Grandma (moms mom)
>High in the mountain she gave birth to her daughter without a sound
>Local chetnik monarchist affiliated militia stashed guns in her house that was outside of the village
>They put captured Schwarzloze at her attic window that overlooks the road into the village
>Bells at the local monastery go ringing, meaning that trouble is afoot
>Her brother once taught her how to fire guns, as a list ditch defence
>She sits behind machine gun and fires burst all over the road
>Nowhere near precise, but ustahsas all fall into ditch for cover
>Turns out that saved half the village, because people made it for the mountains, before assholes got in there
>She gets out too
>Their neighbour, local (only) muslim in the village, who they all liked and fed and clothed, gives them up to the croats
>Luckilly croats are too afraid to go into wilderness without backup, so people disperse

Also another story about her

>After the war
>Commies in power
>She goes to get water from local spring (i hope that is right word)
>She hears some nises
>Gets run over by son of local OZNA officer
>She is fucking pregnant
>Nigga rides some huge horse (recently my grandma, her daughter told me a saying from their village
>We only fear god and government horses
>They were poor villagers from Bosnia, they only had small horses they used for menial labor, only government officials had big horses they stole from various stables
>she had every bone in her body broken
>Her husband, my great grandad gets the gun and wants to kill the fuckers
>To be continued

>It takes half the village to stop him
>She, despite all broken bones and shit gives birth to a healthy child
>She spent her whole life battling the pain from broken bones
>Still she was always happy
>recently thought about that shit and she was literaly the victim of a hit and run by the rich powerful kid

>It just said in poorly scribbled English "I surrender, help"
A true #TrenchFoot moment

These stories of bibles, coins, and zippos stopping bullets are all utter BS concocted by POGs who spent the entire war sitting at desks and cleaning toilets

Unlike you?

>be great-grandfather
>be autistic racist hick from Atlanta, basically /pol/
>no one really likes him
>America enters WW2
>sign up for US Army because boredom and wants to shoot foreigners
>get stationed in England
>meets 16 year old Jewish girl who came to the UK four years earlier on a Kindertransport from Poland mere months before the war began
>she actually kinda likes him despite his being an anti-social abrasive prick
>they fuck
>gets her pregnant within a month
>ohshit.jpg
>sense of honor compels him to ask her to marry him
>she agrees but the Normandy Landings happen and he's deployed to Europe before they can marry
>serves as gunner on an M3 Half Track (Anti-Aircraft variant)
>doesn't shoot down any planes because the Allies blew 90% of the Luftwaffe out of the sky beforehand
>gets used to chew up German bunkers instead
>walked inside of one afterward
>shit gave him nightmares
>vehicle runs over a mine a few months into the campaign
>severely injured, narrow avoided losing leg because he moved at the last second
>is told he's getting medically discharged
>yay
>goes back to England awaiting repatriation
>Polish waifu is 6 months along
>marries her two months later
>grandfather is born
>takes her back home to Georgia
>they fight and fuck a lot, six kids
>grandpa (the oldest) is taught Polish by his mom and winds up assigned to PSYOPS when he joins the Army during the Cold War
>great-grandmother assumes entire family perished in the Holocaust
>Cold War comes to an end in the 90s
>great-grandmother decides to write her old neighbors just to be sure
>turns out she had an infant brother (born after she left) who was adopted by Christian neighbors shortly before her family were deported and killed
>happy family reunion, right?
>turns out he's as much of a jackass as her husband
>ohwell.jpg

pic kinda related, she looked A LOT like Rutka Laskier in her wedding photo (although a bit fatter because she was eight months pregnant at the time). It's creepy.

>My grandpa's uncle fought for the Slovak Airforce in WW2 against the Russians
>He managed to survive the Soviet invasion, and escaped to France because he hated communists.
>Learning to speak French, he worked at a factory, and fell in love with the manager's daughter.
>Getting married, they moved to Canada, but he remained a bit angry because of war and shite
>He died and his son wrote my grandpa, as they were close at least
>Suddenly, the son tells my grandpa he's gay, and, as it's the 50's/60's, my grandpa doesn't really understand it at the time
>The son cuts off all contact with my grandpa
Fags, amiright?

My Croatian Grandpa told me a story about how he escaped an Italian camp with some other guy in WW2 and the next day they ran into a checkpoint where Italian soldiers were. They tried to avoid them by climbing up some mountains but they kept on falling. They did this from morning until dawn and they decided to sneak by the soldiers. They were caught and they were going to turn themselves in because the soldiers had guns pointed at them.
The soldiers laughed and said they were joking and that they could go and they didn't care. My grandpa followed the fellow escapee to his house brother's house and stayed there until the end of the war.

badass. his "captain" fucking sucked.

>Can we have a stories from war, that were passed down through family/family friends?

My dad was 15 when the Germans and Russians invaded Poland in 1939 and he tried four times to escape and join the Polish Army in Exile.

The first time, the Germans caught him (and my uncle & aunt) and sent him back home, the second time they caught him they beat his ass (breaking some ribs) and sent him back home and the third time, they caught him, beat his ass and shipped him off to a prison/labor camp in Austria.

This wasn’t a death camp like Auschwitz thou plenty there died there nonetheless and afterward, he served as forced labor on a farm in Austria, where he knocked up the farmer’s daughter and had a shotgun wedding (I didn’t find out I had a half-sister until after dad died) but in early 1945, he ran off and made his way into Italy in time for the war to end.

He ended up getting hired as a laborer working for the Canadian forces in Italy and later, immigrated to Canada and became a citizen.

Mom was 18 when the war started and she got sent to Germany as a farm hand but being a city girl, she didn’t know what she was doing and because the German family were assholes to the Polish forced laborers, she decided she’d “quit” and just walked off…

Several miles down the road, she got stopped by older German civilian policeman who yelled at her but then marched her down to the labor bureau, where he got her assigned as a seamstress working in a small town in Belgium that had been set up as a huge hospital complex, where she spent the rest of the war and eventually immigrated to Detroit.

That German cop probably saved her life.

>mini-ball
Southern education, everyone

How old are you?

> Coin stopping a bullet
extremedoubt.JPG

Pic of him

Not the user you're replying to but he's right.
t. Army 11b with 3 deployments under his belt

are you the guy who wrote that post a year ago about your mom trying to go to work in downtown detroit during the race riots?

great grandfather looted nazi bodies in italy

I have a bloodied german soldier uniform patch from him, eagle patch with the swastika

What a bad ass

>Black Face

what a lucky guy

Even if it's like a 1 in a million shot that's gotta be like 17 different times during the Civil War.

Great uncle sent his family down South to Busan during the war and went North with the other men from his town to fight against the invaders. He ended up in a supply company and drove a truck because he was one of the few who knew how to. Never came back anyway because his battalion got wiped out by North Korean armor.

The Smithsonian has a bible with a minie ball lodged in it.

youtube.com/watch?v=rOzhxe5RK6I

Really was, other uncle of mine was SS proper and died in stalingrad

>The Indonesians desired independence from the Netherlands
>The state first sends a few troop to combat insurgents but develops as a full blown civil/national war.
>1948, grandfather had just gone through World War 2 and got drafted at around 20 years of age.
>Spent two years in the Indonesian jungle fighting guerilla natives on the order of the state.
>After every daily patrol, the men would shake each other's hands to congratulate that none had died that day.
>The guerillas made heavy use of boobytraps, such as spinning a thin iron wire between trees on roads that would chop off the head of Dutch soldiers that would stick their necks above the windshields.
>Some young Dutch men were found dead with their nails removed in guerilla camp, a torture method used to extract information
>One night he was on guard duty in the camp with his machine gun, apperently the camp was attacked but it was night and therefore difficult to look around so he started to spray around the bushes untill it would be quiet again (except moaning from the wounded).
>Came back from the war, had daily nightmares where he would attack my grandmother in his sleep and screamed
>Died from a heartattack, the main reason being a heavy smoker, a habit he picked up in the jungle to deal with stress.

Fuck jungle warfare.

get out of here grandpa, aren't there some kids on your lawn that need chasing off?

>looks like Tom Hanks
>stranded on an island
>subsisted off crabs and coconuts

kind of familiar don't ya think?

My Great Grandfather (times 9 maybe?) watched Aaron Burr and Alexander Hamilton duel.
He was also important during the Barbary War.

My dad was part of the Grenada invasion.

>My dad was part of the Grenada invasion.

Army or Marines?

Navy actually. He was an OS and worked with GPS since it was so new. I assume he was deployed with marines.

>are you the guy who wrote that post a year ago about your mom trying to go to work in downtown detroit during the race riots?

Yes, she was 7 months pregnant with me at the time.

>get out of here grandpa, aren't there some kids on your lawn that need chasing off?

Not an issue... anymore.

>Want to join military but have heart defect
>Failing to maintain motivation to even bother asking for a waiver

It keeps me up at night

>great grandfather (fathers side) goes off to fight for king and country in Gallipoli
>dies en route and is buried in Egypt
Pretty path desu
>grandfather (mothers side) grew up in Serbia during German occupation
>got his first pair of proper pants from a Nazi soldier

Family fued about politics split up family in West Virginia during ACW, with most joining WV Volunteer 4th, the cousins that joined CSA died in Antietam. Same family that had a cousin scalped by the Shawnee in early 19th cent

My uncle was the designated driver of an ambulance truck in Slovenia during the war. He told me about how he had to carry wounded men into the truck, help the other medics and stuff like that. I imagine he saw a lot more abuse from the army on the populace, but he told me about this one incident with a tank. Some guys ran over this family's wheat field for the fun of it and they came to my uncle crying, how are they going to feed themselves for the winter. One thing that I really remember is how he described this one incident with a ruined tank. They had to pull whatever was left of the crewman's remains outside and there was one survivor who was bloodied allover and lost his eye. He held it in his hand walking around begging that they could put it back in. He was also involved in this friendly fire incident with a Yugoslav plane who shot at his unit, mistaking them for Slovenian troops. He's actually in this video:
youtube.com/watch?v=lGfLIy9r5L8

>be my grandfather

d-do you want a peppermint candy, son?

hah. I think I told you then my mom went to Wayne back in '67. She came home from class, rounded the corner to her street to be face-to-face with a Natl Guard tank. I wasn't born until much later, though.

Clint in Gran Torino is basically a documentary about my grandpa. He's got some good stories but he was never on the front, thank god.
>Joins up for WW2
>gets supply duty stateside for a while
>eventually ships out to the pacific
>set up supply camp on tiny island
>the primitive tribe who live there are not thrilled
>wegotthegunssodealwithit.jpg
>tribe fights back only way they can
>sneak into camp in the dead of night
>cut the throats of GI Joe
>tension.avi
>everyone sleeps with weapons
>commotion, everyone wakes up
>guy is yelling "I got one, I got one!"
>guy had a bayonet under pillow, felt bed shake and slashed to gut the attacker
>except it's another GI
>must've got up to take a leak, bumped into the wrong bed.

you hear about guys catching a friendly, but damn, a bayonet?

>be me, in Iraq
>iraqi guard who's paired with me in a guard tower keeps falling asleep or leaving throughout the night
>tell my sergeant, he tells me to tell his Sergeant
>tell his Sergeant, he shows up a couple minutes later while the guy is sleeping
>iraqi sergeant begins smacking the fuck out of the sleeping iraqi guard and yelling
>Iraqi sergeant gives me a thumbs up, which I return, before he leaves
>next day
>iraqi guard doesn't show up at all
>radio it in, TOC sends someone to temporarily releive me so I can look for the iraqi guard
>walk into iraqi billets/chus/whatever
>hear a grunting sound in one of the rooms
>open door
>It's the Iraqi sergeant ass fucking the guard over a mohagany desk
I noped the fuck out and told my sergeant. The switched me on gate guard instead after I witnessed that. War truly is hell

>Grandfather fought in the Wehrmacht
>Send to Stalingrad
>Survived
>Send to Ghulag
>survived
>walked! back to what's left of his country
>survived
>arrive at hometown
>See his dog running down the whole street
>dog welcomes him with all joy that an animal can possibly express
>Meet his wive again
>She survived
>She has a new husband an two children with him
And now don't tell me anything about loyalty! She already had kids to feed so she needed a man by her side.

Flying shuttles to North Africa for the army, as "civilian" airline Pan Am.

Stop in the Azores to refuel & such. Neutral Portugese territory, where "civilian" Allied and German air crews go into town to the same bars.

German sits down with you and your buddy, makes idle chitchat. Your buddy gets drunk and decides the German is asking too many questions about their plane and how it flies. Decides he's a spy.

Barfight. Can't go into town any more.

>Yes, she was 7 months pregnant with me at the time.

Damn

My uncle who I'm named after died right before he was going to go to Vietnam. He was a test pilot (which meant he was a damn good pilot because test pilots are supposed to push the plane to its limits for development purposes) and his plane the Lockheed F-104 Starfighter malfunctioned and crashed killing him. If you'll read up there ended up being a giant scandal with Lockheed lying about the safety of the plane, and my uncle's death became part of the evidence against them.

His death though kept my father from being deployed though due to the sole survivor clause.

So your uncle's death may have quite possibly saved your dad's life?

You quite literally owe your existence to another person's death.

>Great Grandfather drove for patton
>Decides to go into town he was stationed near
>steals jeep
>breaks into an abandoned bar
>gets drunk
>starts to come back ~3 hours later
>when coming back he crashes into three nazi officers escaping from base
>gets a purple heart for drunk driving

My uncle served in the Pacific and also made the mistake of wandering into a Jap bunker after US Marines torched it with a flamethrower. For him, that was more traumatizing than any combat experience he ever had.

>be my grandfather
>Australian
>joined army because fuck it
>deployed in Vietnam as radioman
>walking through rice fields with squad
>spot destroyed american tank
>tank got hit with a rocket that basically turns the inside into a melting pot
>sergeant tells squad that the crew are probably still inside
>holyfuk.jpg

got more stories if interested

Was he only 19?

around that yeah
and nice reference

>Great grandfather is a brit organising the Canadian railway
>Come to the 1936 Olympic games in Berlin as member of the canadian committee
>Shake Hitler's hand
>War breaks out, he now has to supervised the construction of an artificial port in Britain
>Churchill comes to inspect it
>Shake Churchills hand

I also have a great uncle who was in the RAF and died in a crash and mom's grandad (french)was in Dunkirk and evacuated to England before going back to France

Obligatory

I honestly can't tell if this is a joke or not...

dad
>me and buddies going to shoot clays
>dad tells me not to get target locked, he sank a sai pam that way once
>the fuck kind of a bird is a sai pam dad?
>he was returning fire as a door gunner on a huey across a river into the treeline, suddenly boat appears directly in front of his lead line of fire, everyone dives off and the boat is almost cut in half
also
>had a base watch dog named bark bark
>philipino engineers eat the dog before they leave
also a bunch of stories about guys just getting into arguments and blowing eachother away, in the bush, at base, even back in the states.

grampa
>ww2 vet
>goes to korea
>seething with rage at how the chinese are just sending waves and waves of men, tries to butcher them as much as he can with arty
>becomes disillusioned by the sheer totality of just washing these gooks away by the hundreds day in day out for hours and hours a day
>gets a black panther tattoo, wears dashikis teaching at school during the 60's and 70's, opposed to war in all forms
also we are all pure blooded german/swede's so pretty strange but I think the panther was just something cool that got adopted later by niggers

My father goes on hunting trips to Canada every few years. His hunting guide he hires is a former sniper and ,as he claims, a former cia assassin that took out targets across the world. He's said that nowhere on earth is a horrible as subsaharan Africa. He told my dad countless wild stories, one of them entails a group of chimpanzees running toward his nest in the dead of night. He shot dead an army of apes that probably would have ripped him to shreds for being in their turf. Or so he claims

Well my dad was in college at the time and iirc people in college didn't get sent to Vietnam. He ended up dropping out due to depression from his brother's death though.

Pretty stoned right now, will share some stories about my uncles who fought in the Salvadoran Civil War in an Anti-Com death squad if anyone is interested

interested

my grandpa had an italian co-worker who fought in the ww2. Only thing I remember that may grandpa told me about his stories was that they were poorly equiped: after wasting the little ammunition they were given against he germans, they had to hide in the threnches for days

From my grandmother.

>live in Belarusian village during the war
>one day nazis decided to have a ball with music
>they danced with jewish girls from the village
>they then proceeded to execute by firearm every jew from her village
>apparently the blood of the jews soaked through the upper part of the soil after they were buried (presumably at first they were only covered in a thin layer of dirt)

Also mentioned how one partisan was killed because he had to go back for his rifle, otherwise she said people would have been shot as a reprisal for one german killed

>one day nazis decided to have a ball with music
>they danced with jewish girls from the village
>didn't even leave their goy seeds in each and every one of them like a true conquerer

Nazis have and will always be raging faggots.

oh and my great great whatever ancestor was in the Tennessee part of the union army and they were the first or maybe he just bought it, but he fought in the civil war with a repeating rifle and had several letters remarking on it.

so thats kinda cool also. imagine having a fucking lever action during the civil war.

fuck.
Probably reminds of the event everytime he looked at his teenaged child or you even.

My great-grandfather was promoted to brigadier general in Korea after his superior was killed in a jeep crash.

Here's one I heard when my uncle and grandpa were getting drunk

>be Uncle
>1981, somewhere innajungle
>A community built around a plantation has been getting harassed by commies
>owner of plantation was a dude who took advantage of the land reforms
>commies started breaking into peoples houses, then they start taking some of their yield
>went too far when they started kidnapping teens and even kids, last straw was when they murdered an elder who tried to stand up to them
>uncle says Army want to set up a post there, figured setting up around a friendly community would be a good start
>get helo'd in ahead of the main body, him and his squad head to the town
>get info on the commies, try to figure out where they are
>uncle says they were trained by Green Berets and some LRRP guys, start to track commies through the jungle
>takes them almost a week to to navigate the jungle but luck strikes and they actually find a HQ of some sorts
>find them before dawn, wait for dawn to break to do something
>surprised that there aren't sentries or patrols, commies start to pour out of shelters and huts
>get in formation, European looking dude standing in front of them giving them a pep talk
>commies are mostly mestizos and injuns, the one or two white Salvadorans stand out
>Uncles squad leader already has them set up, gives them order to shoot
>commies never stood a chance, most were dropped in the first minutes of the firefight
>mop up the HQ, some commies still alive including a European looking guy
>find some of the kids that were kidnapped, luckily none were killed in the firefight
>Uncle says they executed the injuns that survived, kept the European looking commie alive
>some of the guys are sent ahead to get the kids home, the rest stay to search for intel and to interrogate the commie
>turns out he's a university student from San Salvador, came to the rural country to spread the good word of communism
>one of the head honchos, rest didn't survive the fight
contd

>be grandfather in Croatia '92
>work in logistics so it's your job to get whatever the troops need
>get a ma deuce .50cal
>have to order ammo for it so I say I'll take 100 rounds cause its a lot for just one gun
>get laughed at because I don't know how fast the gun chews trough ammo
>the gun ended up mounted on a mobile kitchen barely bigger then the gun
>because of the recoil ti nearly tipped over every time it fired

>bald eagles
I hope you like corrosive bird shit splatters that stink like fish. Bald eagles are cunts.