Why didn't Rome just conquer the entire world? Did they fear the human warrior?

Why didn't Rome just conquer the entire world? Did they fear the human warrior?

Why didn't the Mongols just conquer the entire world? Did they fear the human warrior?

Stop making this thread

Let me inform you that conquering England was a mistake

Crassus fucked up any chance to conquer Persia, somebody else fucked up the conquest of Germany, and there were a few others.

can we make this a Roman Britain thread

Why didn't Sub-Saharan Africa conqueror the entir eworld? Did they fear the caucasian warrior?

No, the conspirators who murdered Julius Caesar did.

Despite seizing total power as dictator perpetuus, he wasn't acting like one. Rather than consolidate his power, he planned an expedition to conquer Persia.

The guy who overcame massive odds to conquer the Gauls, the guy who spanked the Greeks so quickly that he bragged about how easy it was, who took on the most grizzled veterans of Rome's finest legions led by its most celebrated general who had him outmanned and outmaneuvered. He pulled victories out of his ass in Egypt, basically anywhere he fought. If there was one person who could overcome such giants odds, it would have been him

this thread again?

they got rocked once they hit the superior european homelands

>take china like its nothing
>get btfo by euros
really activates the autism

They didn't subjugate Europe because their Khan died. Even then the Turks (literally just watered down Mongols) took their stead and BTFO'd everyone from Greece to Vienna for centuries.

More like a (singular) century, if that.
Pretty sad that Classical Civilization, a canon going back thousands of years, had to die so some LARPing Muslim Greeks could spend a generation in the sun.

Ave, my name is Ken Julius Crassus.

I’m a 27 year old American Italic Paegan (Rome fan for you cristian-judeus). I write saturae and carmina on my tablet, and spend my days perfecting my mosaics and playing superior Roman games (Rome: Total War, Age Of Empire: the rise of Rome)

I train with my Gladius every day, this superior weapon can cut clean through steel because it is folded over a thousand times, and vastly superior to any other weapon on earth. I earned my sword license two years ago, and I have been getting better every day.

I speak latin fluently, both the classical and the ecclesiastic pronunciation, and I write fluently as well. I know everything about Roman history and their ius romanorum, which I follow 100%

When I get my italian visa, I am moving to Rome to attend a prestigious schola to learn more about their magnificent culture. I hope I can become an orator for the forum or a temple designer!

I own several togae, which I wear around town. I want to get used to wearing them before I move to Rome, so I can fit in easier. I bow to my senes and speak latin as often as I can, but rarely does anyone manage to respond.

Wish me luck in Rome!

Why did he give up Mesopotamia? Why not build a good road between Antioch and the Euphrates to supply forts and legions along the river with barges, using the Tigris as a barrier, and develop a good relationship with Armenia and help them expand east into Tabaristan?

You can only romanise foreign people so much, endure so much backstabbing and disloyalty, and move messages and troops around so fast. Note that them and the mongols were both wrapped around a sea. Polities can only grow so large while communication and transport technologies are at a certain level.

They were too enlightened

They exept Traian stook to the borders propost by August, the elbe( later conquering gemania didn't work out the Rhine), the danube and euphrates and the Sahara.

Here's how I see it:
To outcompete rival groups economically and militarily you want to be based around some sort of common medium that's speedier and bordered on more cool stuff than what they have and that you can access and they can't. For the Romans, that was the Med. Once you start straying from that formula, you enter the red economically and militarily. as you're conquering stuff that isn't that important to protecting the medium and keeping the goods and recruits flowing through it. People need to be trading with you and sending troops within your sweet sweet medium. Once you try to go beyond that, ur in trouble. You're paying for stuff that isn't worth it and you're asking to spread urself too thin, with too many wars on too many fronts for too much territory that doesn't matter, which will reach a crisis point and get you invaded.
The USA's medium is the world's oceans. Their most famous military outfits are the SEALs and the Marines. They are receiving competition when it comes to the internet (from Russia) and space (from Russia and vaChina).
Is my theory correct?

that's the most retarded shit i've ever seen

Allow me to continue then:
You also get an advantage by keeping conquered people relatively content if they have access to a sweet trade and defence network. If they're too far away from that medium, they won't get the benefits and will see no point in submitting to you. They may, in fact, already be locked into networks that are more advantageous to them than yours, and that therefore give them an advantage against you as well as a compelling reason to fight you.
Re: today, the Chinese are also trying to be cheeky fellows by creating their own medium, in Central Asia and the Indian Ocean, 一带一路.

Will the world ever again see his like?

Caesar was more important, he was just a basic ruler

Why haven't I conquered any woman? Do I fear the female warrior?

Caesar had a very short reign. It was Augustus who solidified the shift to one-man-rule and became the model that every succeeding emperor tried to follow.

it is a significant part of how it is, empires can't conquer just because it looks neat on a map, they have to get a return on their investment, so to speak

also, even if the Roman Empire did conquer Persia or Germania, these places are so isolated that decades later if there was a civil war they likely wouldn't get them back, they would be fighting an enemy that knows everything about the legions and all their faults and tricks and has a bunch of geographic barriers

They feared desert, forests and rivers, and more desert.

They feared lack of grass to feed their horses and cattle.

Rome was overstretched already by Trajan's time.
It was hard to administer such an Empire with the technology and infraestructure they had available.

The only reason Rome did not collapse during the Crisis of the Third Century was the brilliant but shortlived rule of Aurelian, which restored territorial integrity to breakaway factions, cleaned up corruption, restored Imperial authority, and stopped the debasing of the currency, among other things.

Then Diocletan's reforms gave the Western Roman Empire another two centuries of life (and another millenia of life to the Eastern Roman Empire), by dividing the Empire into four administrative units, to be governed between two Augustus and two Caesars. (The "Tetrarchy")

Without these two rulers we would have probably seen an earlier Roman collapse around 250 BC.

* 350 AD sorry, I'm drunk

The proper term is "endarkened", pigskin

WE

no its completely correct, the mediterranean was the centre of the empire

this map is ugly as hell

so is your mom but apparently someone still fucked her

I would very much enjoy a Roman Britain thread, I know very little about it.

Anyone have any recommended reading on the topic? It seems very interesting.