So apparently, this is what Earth would look like if sea levels for 150 meters higher...

So apparently, this is what Earth would look like if sea levels for 150 meters higher. What impact would this have on human history? Would humans be able to survive under these conditions?

Other urls found in this thread:

pubs.geoscienceworld.org/geology/article-abstract/38/5/447/130246/cyanobacterial-blooms-tied-to-volcanism-during-the?redirectedFrom=fulltext
trove.nla.gov.au/work/65211000?q&versionId=78315240
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22168223
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12805693
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20934736
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>The Oxygen Factory is gone

We'd all probably die.

>all oxygen comes from trees

Haha

Germany is gone and now everyone who controls Italy controls Europe

>literally none of Antarctica nor Greenland have thawed out

Is that accurate?

>literally none of Antarctica nor Greenland have thawed out

That's actually not true. Both have been reduced a good bit. This is what the map looks like with the sea levels raised by just 1 meter (instead of 150 meters).

oh shit, my bad. I was just expecting some brown/green on them.

>150m
if ALL icebergs melted, the water would rise by about 20m

where does the 130m come from?

Seismic activity has opened up deep subterranean reservoirs of water.

Here's a close-up on Europe.

Half our oxygen is made by plankton, we'd be fine. Unless there are some indirect effects I'm not taking into account (which there are).

>brown/green
>the majority of the edge areas are just ice sheets
Wha

>Half our oxygen is made by plankton

And where does the other half come from?

The only way for sea levels to rise by tens of metres in any time soon would be extreme global warming feedbacks (methane hydrate collapse) melting the ice caps, this level of CO2 and methane going into the atmosphere would acidify the ocean and kill plankton.

I'm safe.
Netherland BTFO!

Well at least this would kill the cucks.

Kex denmark is gone

most of germany is still there though

Damn the nordic looks better than ever

I can't be arsed to do the math, but who added quintillions of hectacre feet of water to the earth?

Not true for Greenland.

And this is North America.

I suppose people would never settle North America.

Incorrect. It would kill most microalgae off, but not cyanobacteria (which makes up more of the phytoplankton by weight) which would proceed to bloom across all of Earth's oceans given no competition in a toxic environment only they could tolerate and lead to the collapse of all Earth's oceanic food chain because it hasn't been based around cyanobacteria since the late Ediacaran. This would also pollute all of man's rivers and fisheries with cyanotoxins that we do not know how to deal with yet (many municipalities are encouraged to switch off the tap water during a bloom cycle).

Did I say water? Yeah, all of our reservoirs are fucked. All our freshwater sources are fucked. There's nothing cyanobacteria love more then extreme conditions. We already have increased problems dealing with bloom in the freshwater sources we have from global warming we're experiencing right now. This will seep into all of man's aquifers over time and lead to our mass poisoning though an endless away of compounds we haven't fully documented yet (fuck you can't even culture most cyanobacteria in the lab) and traditional methods of filtering are for the most part ineffective against. This will poison all higher life forms on the planet including Man. It will also lead to mass marine anoxia as cyanobacteria concentrate all the oxygen in a dense layer near to the mat and choke off all other forms of life in the oceans that weren't dead from the abrupt shift in the food chain. It will also choke off future biodiversity events as it did in the end-Permian leading to a desert, barren Earth for the next epoch.

pubs.geoscienceworld.org/geology/article-abstract/38/5/447/130246/cyanobacterial-blooms-tied-to-volcanism-during-the?redirectedFrom=fulltext

trove.nla.gov.au/work/65211000?q&versionId=78315240

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22168223

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12805693

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20934736

ITT: images for ants

No retard, there's not enough water in the planet for +150 m

atheists would tell us all to sacrfice to the altar of enviornmentalism to end their apocalypse

>G*rmans still exist
shit map

There are vast subterranean caverns filled with water. A seismic shift could potentially unleash that water onto the surface.

>what is the water cycle

The % of subterranean water is tiny compared to rivers and lakes, you just find simulator that allows you to set in impossible levels and went full retard.

The explanation isn't important. What matters is that through some unexplained mechanism, the ocean has risen by 150 meters. Assume that this happens sometime in the middle ages. What impact does this have on human history?

Presumably a rise of Muslim/Turkish dynasties, more naval structure in Europe and perhaps more Merchant Republics like Venice/Genoa?

>No indo gangetic plains.
well, there goes the lion's share of india's population

Precipitation woild increase, forests would expand

This is Veeky Forums but why the hell not

Spain is OK and the eternal Anglo finally got btfo

maybe those comets that carried water to the early earth came in larger numbers. But to change history that much humans may not have evolved at all...

it would completely change the entire history, these kinds of questions are silly

>my state is now coastal
(((Concern)))

siberia and canada's forests are still there.

>American Northeast and Southwest untouched
>Florida gone

Why is climate change bad again?