Tell me about the 442nd Regimental Combat Team. Why did they continue to fight for a nation who stab them in the back...

Tell me about the 442nd Regimental Combat Team. Why did they continue to fight for a nation who stab them in the back? Why didn't they do what their German-American and Italian-american did and defect?

Japan didn't want them. That's the irony of the situation. Hitler wanted all aryans to return to the fatherland, but Japan saw the overseas japs as corrupt, traitors, and potential spies. Japan understood strategy and tactics, and especially the tactics of desperation, such as suicide bombing, but they never really grasped the nuances of modern warfare with respect to third columns and the like. US war planners gave them far too much credit in this regard.

Their families were held in internment camps.

because G*rmans and *talians are subhuman but the Japanese aren't

>German-American defectors
Any stories of occurrences?

Martin James Monti.

Are there any stories of entire squads or units defecting, or is it just individuals?

Even today Japan considers foreign born ethnic Japanese as lesser

Really?

As the men of the 442nd went deeper and deeper they became more hesitant, until reaching the point that they would not move from behind a tree or come out of a foxhole. However, this all changed in an instant. The men of Companies I and K of 3rd Battalion had their backs against the wall, but as each one saw another rise to attack, then another also rose. Then every Nisei charged the Germans screaming, and many screaming “Banzai!” Through gunfire, artillery shells, and fragments from trees, and Nisei going down one after another, they charged.

Colonel Rolin’s grenadiers put up a desperate fight, but nothing could stop the Nisei rushing up the steep slopes, shouting, firing from the hip, and lobbing hand grenades into dugouts. Finally the German defenses broke and the surviving grenadiers fled in disarray. That afternoon the American aid stations were crowded with casualties. The 2nd platoon of Company I had only two men left, and the 1st platoon was down to twenty. On the afternoon of October 30, 3rd Battalion broke through and reached the 141st, rescuing 211 T-Patchers at the cost of 800 men in 5 days. However, the fighting continued for the 442nd as they moved past the 141st. The drive continued until they reached Saint-Die on November 17 when they were finally pulled back. The 100th fielded 1,432 men a year earlier, but was now down to 239 infantrymen and 21 officers. 2nd Battalion was down to 316 riflemen and 17 officers, while not a single company in 3rd Battalion had over 100 riflemen; the entire 100th/442nd Regimental Combat Team was down to less than 800 soldiers. On October 13, 1944 when attached to the 36th Infantry, the unit was at 2,943 rifleman and officers, but in only three weeks 140 were killed and 1,800 were wounded, while 43 were missing.

The United States entered the war against Japan, Germany, and Italy. The war heightened American prejudice against German Americans and Italian Americans but the racism directed against Japanese Americans was particularly vicious. The calculated response culminated in the forced removal and unconstitutional incarceration of 120,000 residents of Japanese ancestry, including the complete elimination of communities and individuals from the entire West Coast of the United States. This racism was precipitated by the attack on Pearl Harbor but it had deep antecedents in the near half-century of legal, social, and economic policies directed against Asians in general within the United States. Indeed, by the time of the Russo-Japanese War in 1904–05, won by Japan, the U.S. had designated the latter Orange for war games in the Pacific, anticipating actual confrontation in 1941 by over three decades

The events which eventually convinced the War Department and President Franklin Roosevelt to create the segregated 442nd RCT included lobbying from significant supporters of the Japanese American community, the sterling training record of the 100th as well as the well-publicized efforts of the Varsity Victory Volunteers in Hawai'i for their year of service as volunteer labor for the U.S. Army. The need for more troops as the wars across the Atlantic and the Pacific ground on became another factor. The 100th had included about 1,400 Japanese American draftees, all from Hawai'i, as well as haole (white) officers. In early 1943, the War Department issued a call for volunteers for a segregated unit, anticipating approximately equal numbers from Hawai'i and the mainland. In fact, then there were about 1,500 from the mainland—most from behind barbed wire in American concentration camps—while an equal number of eligible young men of draft age yielded nearly 10,000 volunteers in Hawaii.

>Why did they continue to fight for a nation who stab them in the back?
Cucks

>muh most decorated
Just means more of them got injured than in other units.

They were useful cannon fodder. Why waste thousands of Nips as soldiers instead of having them locked up in camps. Saves more white lives.

You should see how they treat ethnic Japanese from Brazil

It also means they fought more battles.

Weren't the 442nd the unit with the highest amount of medal of honor recipients, or was that some other unit.

Go on

No

Many of them were from Hawaii and despite how they were treated in the continental US.

They were still loyal to their homeland and birth nafion U.S. Loyalty to fight for your home even when it backstabs you, is loyalty that is absolute. One of the 442nd members also became a member of Congress and very infkuential Democrat if i remember correctly.

No, no, do go on.

japanese americans were not allowed to serve in the pacific theater unless they were interpreters, so they never really had the choice to defect. i doubt many of them would have defected anyway if they had the chance

>They were still loyal to their homeland and birth nafion U.S.
Hawaii wasn't even a part of the US. It was still a territory. US was not their birth nation any more than US is a birth nation of Puerto Ricans today.

It was a quasi American state with a large American planter elite that overthrew the native Hawaiian monarchy and joined the US

>tfw had a Japanese-American classmate in high school
>tfw she was a total qt, very sweet too
>family was from the Fresno area, were interned, and then moved back to the Bay Area after the war
>FUCKINGJEWFDRREEEEE.jpg
>find out her grandfather served in the 100th Infantry Battalion and was later a guard at the Nuremberg Trials
>historyboner.jpg
>tfw we never got along
>would've loved to have married her if we had
>our kids could've learned to do both the Rebel Yell and Banzai
>our descendants would be able to take pride in a military lineage that runs a millennia from the 442nd RCT, to the Confederate States Army, Texian Army, Cherokee warriors, Continental Army, Hessians, and the Crusaders.

feelsbadman

Why didnt you get along?

She sided with the north in the Northern aggression

ah, so you're a literal and figurative loser

Ignore this nigger She was kinda an artsy liberal airhead and her dad is a renowned Jazz musician. My family is neither artistically inclined nor wealthy.

>a quasi American state with a large American planter elite
Sounds like just the kind of place that would make a Japanese laborer become patriotic toward America.

They are loyal. More than can be said about their German-American and Italian-American counterpart

>not knowing the difference between a territory and a protectorate

That's like saying Yukon isn't part of Canada or Northern Territory isn't part of Australia.

>applying 21st century canadian/australian concept to early 20th century american concept
how
dumb
are
you
holy
shit

Yes, in 1898. Unlikely any of of the men fighting in WW2 would have had any memory of that time. I mean, the whole sugar plantation infrastructure with a white owning class was still going for sure, but it hasn't been an independent nation (albeit under America's indirect influence) for decades

Lies, on multiple occasions Hirohito wanted to and tried to reach out to Japanese immigrants who settled in the United States and South America.

>, but it hasn't been an independent nation (albeit under America's indirect influence) for decades
By the same token, it had never been an American state. It was a colony with a white elite ruling over Japanese laborers, who held dual citizenship and grew up and lived in a segregated Japanese enclaves.

True

>t.

You make it sound like thousands of Italian and German-American soldiers defected to the Axis when only a recorded handful did.

What does that have to do with anything, you're classmates.

Well naturally we didn't really share that many interests and didn't see eye to eye on a lot of things. She wanted to go to art school and be involved in social justice and the like. I was interested in law school and having gone to to a a ghetto middle school, already knew social justice was kinda bullshit.

But all you really gotta do is kiss in the hallways and fuck on the weekends. It's not like you really have time for much more than that anyway.

T.virgin

>implying they didn't

Japanese were the largest ethnic group in Hawaii at the time of the war. Many of them came over to work for American sugar plantations back when Hawaii was still a monarchy. They got treated shit, but Hawaii wanted an alliance with Japan since they were both developing Pacific nations at the time and gave them some better rights. It was still shit on the plantations, but that was more than what most people were willing to give Japanese immigrants at the time. This in a sense lead to the Japanese eventually working their way out of low wage plantation jobs and lead to them making their way into the middle and upper classes of society. Something that did not occur, to my knowledge, much elsewhere. Other ethnic groups soon did the same, and because of the shared experience, especially strikes, they mostly had similar attitudes. This led to a combined web where by 1940s, they felt comfortable relatively speaking in Hawaii. Hence the this land has treated us well notion that some Japanese parents told their kids.

Now being the majority of the population, with Honolulu being 40% Japanese at the time, they were rightly pissed when Pearl Harbor got bombed. Many of them were first responders and a good chunk of the Hawaii territorial guard as well as the civilian populace wigging out. Now following the events at Pearl Harbor, some crazies on Niihau help out a Japanese pilot go on a rampage. This is a terrible incident that catches the eye of the US government and leads to Japanese internment.

To note though, Niihau is a privately owned isolationist native Hawaiian community island. Why those three Japanese were there is anyones guess, but the fact that they were there at all leads me to believe that they were off their rockers.

>To note though, Niihau is a privately owned isolationist native Hawaiian community island. Why those three Japanese were there is anyones guess, but the fact that they were there at all leads me to believe that they were off their rockers.
Isn't that why they feared subversion from the Japanese Americans?

I read a story that some Japs called a store right on the eve of Pearl harbor to know the weather. I want to know if it's true and not apocryphal

Why would you call a store for the weather?

That's why I'm asking if it's real or not.

Japanese definitely collaborated and performed espionage but calling up a random store the night before Pearl Harbor attack, which was launched at like 2 am, after weeks of radio silence, doesn't sound very helpful to the Japanese.

>Why didn't they do what their German-American and Italian-american did and defect?

lol...what?

Why didn't the Japs betray and defect like the German-American and Italian-American.

Nice

I guess we'll just forget about the hundreds of thousands of German and Italian Americans who fought in the USN, USAAF, Army and Marines then

Not an argument

I don't know user. It seems something they would do.

Ethnic Japanese from Brazil have lots of admixture and little cultural tie (especially one from Huezil) to Japan.

>Northern Territory isn't part of Australia.

It kinda is treated like that.

>It kinda is treated like that.
No, it isn't.

You're a dumbass

こいつはどうせ無所属でも勝つしイメージが悪くなるだけだから新党に来ない方がいい

Fuck off.

no