It's 853 and you're in charge of drawing the borders splitting up the former Carolingian Empire. How do you draw them?

It's 853 and you're in charge of drawing the borders splitting up the former Carolingian Empire. How do you draw them?

Maybe split off the Italian part south of Alps. Keep France and Germany united, maybe one day the language and culture will meld into something awesome.

HH

Reminder that the Franks are FRENCH.

>modern names
ugh.

>splitting burgundy and aquitaine
>splitting austrasia
W e w

Find a flaw

>West East Francia

The Occitan speaking France, cool

Excuse me

That's 'mazing

>there are people here who dont believe that kingdoms should have risen from river basins
plebs.

Along racial obviously

Sorry, is this a trick question?

Seems like you've already done a good job. Keep that bitch united

This
Gavelkind was a mistake

/thread

F*ck salic inheritance law

The name "united kingdom of two spains and lusitania" is retarded because, if by Spain you mean provinces called Hispania, there were four of them and Lusitania was one.

Exactly like the Carolingians who did nothing wrong. I make sure to give the central one to a competent dude though.

Depends when, there was a time in particular when there were 3 provinces, two Spains (Hispania Tarraconensis and Hispania Baetica, replacing the earlier Hispania Citerior and Ulterior) and Lusitania

Granted, there were several more by the time the Western Roman Empire fell and it was basically irrelevant to Charlemagne, but it's less retarded than most of the other names.

middle Francia was a mistake though. I can understand the reasoning behind it, but it was still a mistake. Should have been Gaul as western Francia (so everything west of the Rhine), East Francia as everything East of the Rhine, and a new Kingdom of Italy and the Alpine lands (Slovenia and Austria) to complete the lot. Sure, I wouldn't want to be in charge of East Francia in that scenario, but no one actually would, so the other two would probably not bother the East and actually assist it if need be.

And I feel many future wars would be prevented by putting West Francia's borders on the Rhine.

Yes and no. The original Franks and the ruling classes were romanized Germanics. The French people are mostly Celtic, I think.

But one of the heirs of the Frankish Empire was the Kingdom of France, so in a way you can call them Franks.

to illustrate

I would probably try to copy Imperial Rome, having governors instead of hereditarian lords and having senators.

This is probably the best answer.

I should like to draw a line from the e in Venice to the first A in Amsterdam.

Spot on.

>one long and narrow country surrounded by more cohesive countries
There's a reason Middle Francia collapsed instantly.

No, you're misinformed. There were two Spains first (ulterior and citerior) and then three (Baetica, Lusitania and Tarraconensis). What you call just Lusitania like it's some kind of independent entity was called Provincia Hispania Lusitania. This time with two Spains and a Lusitania never existed and therefore the name is as presentist and retarded as the others. Even more retarded because Hispania Lusitania was mostly in visigothic hands while the one spain that mostly wasn't and could MAYBE be put apart was Hispania Gallaecia were the Suebi ruled from. But the map maker and you completely forgot it. So not only it is wrong but it isn't even wrong in a justifiable way.

Yes

Ah a fellow CK2 player

What do the dotted lines mean

How does this affect the northern crusades and Christianisation of the danes

perfect

I would reckon, with no powerstruggle (or less in any case) between eastern and western Francia, with no sandwiched states to nibble on inbetween the two powers, the East would go full crusade in the East and in Denmark to continue the work of Charlemagne. They may actually get help from western lords hoping for fame and glory.

I'd wager Italy would resolve the Roman and Lombard situation in Italy one way or another and that would be their main focus point + dealing with muslims in Sicily, while the west would have to contend with Vikings at first and then perhaps push into Spain.

In any case, one of them would deal with the Avars when the time came, but without the internal strife and bufferzone tensions created by Lotharingia, and successor states, each portion of the Empire would focus on duking it out with their respective Heathen neighbours.

Lmao is that fucking bolbi from Jimmy neutron?

So everybody watched that extra credits video?