Dharmic thread

ITT lets talk about religion, languages, history, culture, etc of the dharmic sphere

Hinduism, tantra, buddhism, jainism, etc all welcome

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=SxnpEhgrWMo
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Beatles_in_India
youtu.be/HHZtnr01D7Y
youtu.be/fJx5F_ds_bM
youtu.be/SIxGfs8TTQg
youtube.com/watch?v=qUMGhUi1ETw
archive.org/stream/reneguenon/1921 - Introduction to the Study of the Hindu Doctrines #page/n3/mode/2up
aghori.it/woodroffe_the_serpent_power.pdf
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kundalini#Western_significance
youtube.com/watch?v=jpXFzhjBUUo
youtube.com/watch?v=GslzWvQRiJg
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>When an action or a thing, once complete, becomes beneficial in several matters to one person, or to many people, that is known as Tantra. For example, a lamp placed amidst many priests. In contrast, that which benefits by its repetition is called Āvāpa, such as massaging with oil.
neat

meditating at the ashram and this guy slaps your third eye, what do?

turn around, look him in the face, and create dubs

brahma dont come running your mouth when my boy shiva banished your ass

>when my boy shiva banished your ass
i am unfamiliar with this story, gimme the deets

youtube.com/watch?v=SxnpEhgrWMo

Realize that in the end there's no difference between he and myself

brahma and vishnu have a fight whos the best, they chatty shit and measuring dicks, then all of a sudden a big beam of light apears with seemingly no end or begining, htye agreed who ever found the start oir end first is the greatest , vishnu realised there was no end and the light must be shiva, brahma met with a flower and told it to tell vishnu that he found it, then when shiva heard that lying sack of shit he said you mother fucker i hear that you lying shit im infinite i got no end or begining I AM THE GREATEST vishnu agreed and brahma agreed that shiva is best, shiva cursed brahma for being a cunt

who here ADVAITA vedanta

KARNA DID NOTHING WRONG
BROS BEFORE HOES

This is apparently a wrathful manifestation of goddess Mahapratisara (indian buddhist depiction)

Haven't found a single tibetan depiction of her (there are of her peaceful form, but not from this one)

Could it be that her practice never ever reached Tibet or Central Asia and was fully lost after the destruction of Nalanda? Imagine how many ishtadevatas we will never know

>you are my Shakti, let me be your Shiva

>Imagine how many ishtadevatas we will never know
I know that feel bro.

>when Padmasambhava invites you and your wife to a dinner with her consorts but the coffee isn't good

Kinda curious. Assuming you guys are all westerners, how did you get into this kind of indic mysticism?
t. Pajeet.

i'm indian, but born and raised in America, everyone in my family is a practicing hindu

> i'm indian, but born and raised in America
You are simply an american.

i get what you're saying (and agree) i just thought i'd be more specific in this instance

I find buddhism and indian metaphysics infinitely more coherent, logic and compatible with western philosophy (Plato, etc), science, etc than abrahamic religions with their obsessive dogmatism and their sophist tier mental and discursive masturbations used to justify what's simply non sense.

Everyone in burgerland sees India as the land of spiritual enlightenment and exotic mysticism.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Beatles_in_India

It's been like this since the 60s.

After a few psychedelic experiences, it became clear that these teachings were very close to the Truth I learned and experienced and likewise for many others. Not that there isn't also wisdom in western thought.

If he's visited India at least once, as someone with that background, he would probably know what it's like to be a native Indian anyway.

>obsessive dogmatism and their sophist tier mental and discursive masturbations used to justify what's simply non sense.

You're confusing "Abrahamic religion" with the 19th century depiction of 14th century Roman Catholic Scholasticism.

Nope. Jews and muslims do exactly the same. Just look up how the rabbis tried to explain the existence of "useless non kosher animals" like spiders being created by God in their rigid belief system.

And don't get me started on american tier christianity.
>dude the Earth is 5000 years old lmao

>dude the Earth is 5000 years old lmao
Yes, no one believed the Earth was 5000 years old until the 19th century American pastor James Ussher decided to take the bible literally.

Thread Anime.
youtu.be/HHZtnr01D7Y
youtu.be/fJx5F_ds_bM

Asura's Wrath
youtu.be/SIxGfs8TTQg

I was about to post the 1st ending as thread theme.

Nice

my nigga

your pic isn't related to your post

youtube.com/watch?v=qUMGhUi1ETw

>someone unironically thinks kali = khorne from 40k
wew

I have depression so I came across mediation as potential way to help, which led me further to eastern religion and also psychedelics and exploring the nature of consciousness. I'm in much better place now, and I find buddhism and hinduism facsinating

Do Indian teens/millennials find Hinduism lame in the way young westerners find Christianity lame? I've been wondering this for a while now. How cringey is it for you guys that westerners delve deep into this stuff?

its kinda the same.
Basically for most people it is the surface level stuff and rituals. I personally don't like noise so much and having a festival every two to three weeks with firecrackers bursting made me not like religious ceremonies. I worship a variety of gods that have been part of my family's tradition for centuries and will continue to do so because it's part of my family heritage. My family is also fairly laid back about sex and liberal from a western standpoint as part of our religious upbringing. My great great grandparents were part of the brahmo samaj movement when it was becoming popular among the bengali intelligensia in 19th century bengal so I have been encouraged to discuss gods and what they mean with family.

One good thing about hinduism that I like is that there is no necessarily bad connotation to atheism because it is in the end your belief. It doesn't stop smarmy leddit atheists from seeking attention because atheists are classified as hindu in the indian census.

Now there is a very heavy push to consolidate hinduism into something more abrahamic with a "fixed" canon and a bunch of other cancerous bullshit which will reduce it to orange islam if people let it. It will be a sad day for the world when it happens.

Not cringey at all. People's religious and spiritual convictions are their own personal issue and anyone who seeks jnana is always someone who is on the right path.

shut up nerd

>he hasn't heard 40k neckbeards enter a thread and claim that 40k is da bestest
god I miss old Veeky Forums

>Now there is a very heavy push to consolidate hinduism into something more abrahamic with a "fixed" canon and a bunch of other cancerous bullshit which will reduce it to orange islam if people let it.

From who? Hindu nationalist politicians?

yes. Basically multiple generations of hindus have grown up with 19th century britbong morals about sex and think that autism is hindu culture.
Anything lewd is a conspiracy by the west to steal our glorious culture and must be combated by beating teenage kids and chimping out.
We literally have a bunch of faggots who think that valentine's day is a western conspiracy to destroy marriage and should be replaced by a national worship-your-parents day.

> We literally have a bunch of faggots who think that valentine's day is a western conspiracy to destroy marriage and should be replaced by a national worship-your-parents day.
That's muslim af, nigga.

Hope that things go well and not under this way

Tantras were absorbed by the mainstream shiavites and tantric buddhists. The ones that did get into Tibet were later sanitized (removed the violent/sexual aspect and replace them with symbolic aspects)

>The ones that did get into Tibet were later sanitized
boo

>The ones that did get into Tibet were later sanitized (removed the violent/sexual aspect and replace them with symbolic aspects)
Do you even Nyigma?

lifting kettlebell while watching tv - good life advice

endless beam of light
looking at the vid it says endless lingam - that makes it much more badass
a gigantic talking dick says whoever finds one of my ends wins, it turns out that one god is a liar because shiva is indeed and endless unmeasurably big dick

Who /Chhinnamasta/ here?

What's a good way to get introduced into Hindu Philosophy?
(Is the caste system an inherent part of Hinduism?)

boner alert

Radhakrishnans indian philosophy both parts. It doesnt really get deep into kashmir shaivism and tantra but its great up to that point

THICC

Rene Guenon's 'Introduction to the Study of the Hindu Doctrines'

full pdf

archive.org/stream/reneguenon/1921 - Introduction to the Study of the Hindu Doctrines #page/n3/mode/2up

>Guenon

>Early in his life, he dominated the Greek, Latin, English, Italian, German, Spanish, Sanskrit, Hebraic, Arabic and later, Chinese languages. Surprising European and Orientals, he maintained conversation with his interlocutors in their own language, mastering both the language and the spirit of distant civilizations.

>The most eminent recognition of value came from oriental authorities. Marco Pallis tells us of the perfect orthodoxy of Guénon’s explanations verified by Tibetans priests; Ramana Maharshi named Guénon the "The Great Sufi"; the true Taoists masters in unison designated Guénon as the only Westerner in the last centuries that was able to capture and to transmit the true spirit of Taoism.

My niggas

>a thread about India which hasn't devolved into toilet memes
Indian history is so anime tier, with invincible warlord after invincible warlord. Was in Jaipur last winter, all those forts and palaces are awesome. How the fuck did the British manage to take it all over? Just Jaipur would have been a powerful nation if in Europe, let alone Lucknow, Hyderabad and Mysore

it was a ton of feudal counties fighting over stuff. The only major powers when the BEIC was expanding militarily were the marathas and the rapidly declining mughals.

The BEIC had the advantage of fixed long term and short term goals and a stable structure of leadership unlike myriad kingdoms in the subcontinent.

The rajput forts you saw had last seen their heydey during the time of akbar and jehangir. At the point you are interested in they were the vassals of mughals.

>How the fuck did the British manage to take it all over?
Bribed kings to get their support
Invaded small and weak states
Divide et impera by religion, caste, ethnicity
Guns (Amritsar massacre)
Etc

Tl;dr
Eternal a*glo being a*glo

>is glad the thread hasn't been ruined with memes
>first words are "so anime-tier"

Also, the British had the benefits of capitalism. They could borrow money and raise finance easily, while the Indian rulers, however rich they were, could still only raise money the old fashioned manual way.

well mythology has a lot of power level shenanigans.
also this.

How would you describe the Mahābhārata?

larger than life?

Bump

Just read the Bhagavad Gita, it's a summary of all vedic wisdom

Also no, the varna system is a system of how to divide society so that it functions perfectly. Most societies consist of four classes: scholars and priests, warriors and administrators, merchants and farmers, and laborers. If you structure a society this way then it will run very nicely just as all the cogs in a machine work together. If one exhibits the traits of a priest and acts properly as such, he is said to be a brahmana. The caste system is a perversion of this and is not supported by the philosophy. One may have a father who is a brahmana, but if he himself drinks, gambles, and is involved in other such lowly activities, he is not considered a brahmin. Just as you need the qualifications to be an engineer, you fit into a role based on your qualifications, not who your relatives are.

came to it through a general interest in different religions and particularly through historical linguistics and sanskrit

Is this the kind of stuff I'm going to see if I walk into a hindu temple?

No. Not in a normal one at least

there's different ones. Kali's temples are a little less grimdark than the pic

OP here, apparently Chhinnamasta is originally buddhist btw. Chhinnamunda, a form of Vajrayogini.

Sorry for the low quality, it's the only one available. I have a bigger resolution in gray scale at my PC. Will try to post it later

Nepali art depicts Chhinnamasta with a kartika and a kapala and with Vajrayogini's garments.

Seems like a mix of both goddesses in one.

I'm waiting the coming of Kalki

soon brother

Hitler was Kalki

We're screwed then.

Let's wait for Maitreya now

>germans ruin the end of the world.
lol

I've actually been wanting to ask someone who would know this for awhile, can you kill a god in any of the Hindu religions and is their any stories of this happening?
I mean assuming Hitler was Kalki (which I don't) he killed himself so that's a non-example, but otherwise, what's the word?
Unrelated question my boyfriend asked me, can we fuck the gods if we go to another realm or is that a no and if we can what is that like?
Excuse me if my questions come off as offensive in any way, they come from genuine curiosity and a desire to learn

I.m a god

>can you kill a god in any of the Hindu religions and is their any stories of this happening?
I don't recall a god being killed but at least in buddhism the gods are impermanent and doomed to die someday. The gods are sometimes even viewed as inferior to humans because they can't free themselves as they are "trapped" in the paradise and so bond to samsara. IIRC some vedic/upanishadic hymn also put the gods as inferior to humans for some similar reason.

> Unrelated question my boyfriend asked me, can we fuck the gods if we go to another realm or is that a no and if we can what is that like?
Yes you can and you "can" do it even in this realm if you are an accomplished yogi/tantrika/saddhu and on some particular rituals but it's not viewed as a pleasure fuck but as a spiritual stuff. Like fucking them in a meditation or lucid dreaming or letting the gods "enter" your body and your partner's to let them fuck, some form of hyerosgamos.

That's usually not a beginner's practice and is only a tantric thing, which is outside mainstream "hinduism"

I mean gods killing each other, yes. I don't remember a god being killed by a human or another being

This thread needs more dakinis. Preferably indian, not tibetan.

Same user, I knew gods could die in Buddhism but don't they just reincarnate in the material realm until they accumulate enough good karma to leave? Thank you for your reply!

Yes, that's how it goes

Karna is the only true hero in the Hindu pantheon.

This is now a Jambhala/Kubera thread

I'm not very good at comprehension.
What I THINK you said is
"If magic is possible, is absolutely anything possible, and causality no longer linked to causation?" Then yes. If you can make monkeys fly out of my ass, you are indeed a space-wizard.
Unfortunately, we may all become turnip-scented wiffs of smoke at any moment because Brahma shifted in his dreaming.

I'm sorry that when your mother told you there was no Santa Claus it has led you on a path to attack all you cannot see. Perhaps I too do not believe and only view these as constructions of the mind and want to understand these stories better as one would ask what would have happened if Gandalf put on the one ring instead. But if I do believe these things as more than myths and legends then what's my desire to seek truth of any concern of yours or one that desires mockery? I hope you find peace some day user and I hope you comprehend that as sincere.

I'm sorry that YOU're projecting.
If you take my -honest and sincere- depiction of how one interacts with a hypothetical realm composed of dream, imagination and 'spirituality' (I've yet to find a definition of that world that isn't essentially self referential, as opposed to, obviously, pointing to something physical) as an attack upon your beliefs.
Are they your beliefs?

What about my statement of fact, and it is a fact that if magic is possible then causality goes out the window, and predictive models have no value at that point, since the world can change according to the will of Brahma, is an attack upon you?

Theres something rather smug about your condescending response. "I hope you find peace annon" ('ps I'm better and more enlightened than you, thats what this message is supposed to say, because you obviously don't have peace. Why would you attack me if you weren't so INSECURE annon?'

>tfw no Kali gf to dissolve reality, behead you, and rape your corpse

I apologise for the Santa Claus comment, but your "honest and sincere depiction" made you look like an asshat and I felt that should have been addressed.
I did not feel attacked by your statements but I felt that your statements were an attack upon what this board should be about, which is the acquirement of knowledge that we do not have through those that do.
Mocking those that want to learn is pathetic no matter how you spin it.
Since you asked, no they are not my beliefs, I just really find eastern religion a fascinating part of our world.
I'm better and more enlightened than you, peace be with you my friend

More yummy dakinis

>I'm better and more enlightened than you,
And yet you've not been able to find humility?
I spit on your insincere apology, and your 'fascination about eastern religion' is both romantic and stupid, as you are unable to determine sarcasm from sincerity by its yardstick.

You DID feel attacked by my statements, and took my (again I point out) honest statement of facts as a personal attack.

I don't want you to apologize for the comment of santaclaus, I want you to put your thoughts into context comparable to a western mythos you may understand and not otherise and romanticise another cultures storys to the point of seeming like an ill educated hippie.

You bought up santa. Should I treat questions about Mrs Claus' sexual abilitys with kid gloves for you?

"If I died an went to heaven, would I be able to have sex with angels there?"

You've made my night, thanks man. As for your reply before I hit the hay:
Nah I did not feel personally attacked as I addressed in my last reply and won't tread old ground.
I've read Gita as well and to memory it did not answer my questions originally posted, Hinduism is more sexually liberal than Christianity from what I've gathered so I felt I would not have been too wrong to ask such questions and the original response I received reinforced that.
Considering Mary's conception, maybe there is some freaky stuff going on up there, if ya know what i mean
I'm happy to hear you are at peace with your worldview though i hope that you can find peace in that others do not share it.
The enlightened comment was to trigger you and I think i did a damn good job at it.
Since you brought it up, do you perchance have any book recommendations on where to find fairies and if it is okay to fuck them?
I leave you with one final question and hope to see my (you) first thing tomorrow morning:
>What does Santa eat aside from milk and cookies?
Peace and blessings be upon you for you are a blessing upon us all
To all others I apologise for our bantz derailing a decent thread

What do people think on Arthur Avalon's Serpent Power, are there any other such books that are comprehensive?
aghori.it/woodroffe_the_serpent_power.pdf
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kundalini#Western_significance

>know what I mean
I do not. Knowledge is demonstrable and measurable in accuracy. There is no way to measure whats accurate about that myth. This appears to be a discussion about fanfiction. I don't do that here, this is for history.

Bump

Thread dead

what are some neat buddhism iconography/symbolism about death?

I have to say these are kinda creepy, they're morel like demons or demon-gods than "normal" gods.

What can you tell me about this?
youtube.com/watch?v=jpXFzhjBUUo
youtube.com/watch?v=GslzWvQRiJg
And about Buddhist art in general?

ah but it is you who are the demon