Since every generation likes to complain about the younger generation and reminisce about "good ol' days...

Since every generation likes to complain about the younger generation and reminisce about "good ol' days," what are some points in history that are objectively better than the ones that came after it?

Noraxy unrelated.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L'Origine_du_monde
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Classical Europe was leagues better than medieval

Pre greek levant = GOOD
POST GREEK LEVANT = BAD

The rule of the Severan dynasty after the reign of the Five Good Emperors.

The quote that people use to support that claim is attributed to Socrates or rather Plato, who lived through the Plague of Athens and the downfall of the Athenian Empire at the end of the Peloponnesian War. Under those circumstances it is uniquely appropriate to reminisce about the good old days and it is plausible that his complaints about the youth were justified.

Mycenaean Greece was way better than the Greek Dark Ages.

Really, all of the Eastern Mediterranean got worse for like a thousand years during that period.

1300 and 1400 in Europe.

Whoops sorry thought you said periods that were better than ones that came after.

The stability brought by Augustus after he gained complete power over the empire was objectively superior to the constant civil riots and political backstabbing of the late republic.

I want to taste through her mouth

Nope, cannot think of anything.

This question is difficult to break down. I hate to sound like a pedant, but how do you define good? I'd argue London was a better city in 1870 in terms of general safety (look it up, muggings made front page news in some cases) and in terms of group identity/cohesion, but I also prefer modern dentistry.

So it's hard to say. Definitely I'd prefer 19th century Europe for its superior morality, pairbonding systems, stronger family ties, stronger sense of national identity etc, but I also like modern technology.

It is not every generation that complains about the younger ones. Usually, they are correct when complaining about decline. Those kinds of complaints were common in the 60's. That generation was particularly bad.

>superior morality
lol, I do find this fetishization of 19th century Europe quite funny considering the Europeans themselves considered it decadent and "degenerate". Spengler started writing his Decline of the West before WW1. Avant-garde movements started appearing in the second half of 19th century.

Pre-trump US = Good
Trump US = Bad

Pre-Bush US = Good
Bush US = Bad

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L'Origine_du_monde
This is from 1866.

And what about boxer rebellion? Massacres, looting, rapes, all kind of crimes. Such strong morality!

>Thousands of Chinese women committed suicide; The Daily Telegraph journalist E. J. Dillon stated it was to avoid rape by Alliance forces, and he witnessed the mutilated corpses of Chinese women who were raped and killed by the Alliance troops. The French commander dismissed the rapes, attributing them to "gallantry of the French soldier." A foreign journalist, George Lynch, said "there are things that I must not write, and that may not be printed in England, which would seem to show that this Western civilization of ours is merely a veneer over savagery."

Belle Époque and Interwar Period

t. pleb that unironically believes that the 'Greek' near east was a cultural monolith.

... i-it wasn't...?

The Renaissance

I always thought 1600s Holland sounded very comfy

Tang China was probably better than any later periods of imperial Chinese history for the average person in terms of peace, stability, economic opportunity for commoners, and freedom from religious oppression.