Did they smoke weed in the Middle Ages? How about ancient times?

Did they smoke weed in the Middle Ages? How about ancient times?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hasheesh_Eater
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Not in Europe, the plant was native to southeast asia. In ancient times the Scythians would inhale an incense made from burning hemp seeds

it was very common in the muslim world

in eastern europe the border between the christian cossacks and muslim turkics was nicknamed the vodka-hashish line

In early modern times soldiers/common Folk would smoke hemp if there wasn't enough tabacco. German sources refer to it as "starker tobak" which means strong tabacco.

It is in the Bible. In Exodus 30.23. Kaneh Bosem. All the Christians broke out in arseholes and tried to deny it but it was proved hands down that Kaneh Bosem was weed. Only the priests were allowed it though.

gross, there´s virtually no THC in hemp

No but Washington smoked weed that he cultivated from his plantation, thats the earliest time I can think of, much less dank compared to todays weed though.

Cannabis was more often used as a medical herb than a recreational drug.

Queen Victoria was prescribed and used cannabis for cramps.

is it true they used it in cooking in ancient greece?

Newfags won't get this image.

>Queen Victoria was prescribed and used cannabis for cramps.
Well it would work.

People pretty much used drugs all the time up until modern times and modern prohibition.

Cannabis was the main recreational drug in Japan before the war. America decided it should be alcohol I guess.

The seeds yes, but they weren't aware of the mind-altering properties. They used it mainly because it is a very durable fiber.

They absolutely were. They wrote about Scythians hot-boxing their tents to get high.

It was made illegal in the US purely for political reasons anyway. Mexicans coming into the US who called it marihuana (so the spelling people make fun of in Reefer Madness is in fact accurate) so demonizing it was a way of demonizing Mexican immigrants, much like we did with opium as an excuse to search the Chinese (admittedly though, opium does far far worse to you, opium dens attest to that). It helped that most Americans didn't even know it was a naturally-growing drug at the time.

Herodotus wrote that, and he wasn't Ancient Greece. I'm talking the Bronze Age.

I'm so thankful the weed we smoke nowadays isn't 60s skunk weed bullshit
Technology is amazing

>It helped that most Americans didn't even know it was a naturally-growing drug at the time.

What really swayed it was that nobody was actually asked whether it should be illegal. It's not like democracy banned it.

People then were even more prone to the argument of "if immigrants are doing it then it must be bad" than they are now

>skunk
>bad
fuck off back to plebbit you child

>ywn again be a 14 year old spending a week's worth of lunch money for a dime bag of some middies and then going to Wendy's with a group of friends and ordering nothing but fries

This being said, if you want really high concentrations, hashish is ancient.

>but it was proved hands down that Kaneh Bosem was weed

I'm fairly certain anointing oil contained cannabis too.

mate i don't give a shite whether you believe it or not. look it up if you can be arsed and if not go and have a wank for all i care.

Yeah sorry that's what I meant.

It could have been possible, the publicity attack on weed only really took off in early 20th century.
The question is, did they trade it that far?

My guess is that some Chinese, Indian, or some sort of Central Asian gathered the dry plants they wouldn't use for fiber making and tossed it on the fire, only for everyone to get high in the process.

What I'm really curious about is why it seems that no one from before the 20th century or so describes being really high, to my knowledge. We know that people have ben using cannabis for thousands of years, but I can't think of any examples of intense cannabis experiences being described by pre-modern people. Were people just not consuming enough to get really high back then? Or maybe they were, but no reports have survived?

It still damages people anyway. So it shouldn't be promoted to be consumed.

There's this:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hasheesh_Eater

It's understood to have aped de Quincey pretty hard, though.

wtf

There's a difference between promoting and just leaving it alone.

you're sure a killjoy

I've heard that weed nowadays isn't exactly pure and infused with shit to make it stronger. That means back in those days there weren't so many dude weed lmao dudes.

It is. Weed was nowhere near as powerful back in the day.

I wanted to smoke weed but I heard this so now I'm scared. I would need to grow it myself and it's such a hassle.

I wonder how different it was.

>My nigga Sargon try this blunt
>hory sheet nigga I see fucking Enli battling Gilgamesh wtf this is real and is now my religion

No one gets high the first time. I'm not a smoker but I've known enough of them to know that this old saying is true. Usually because the first time you don't know how to inhale properly.

there are stronger strains but also milder ones, thanks to genetic crosses made by cultivators

>Infused
I thought it was just more concentrated due to aggressive cultivation of stronger and stronger strains.

back in the day you didn´t have many different kinds of wine or beer to choose either

So this means weed probably wasn't an entheogenic like shrooms?
Because smoking weed is as old as the indo europeans.

It was for some cultures, for most no, they just did what said

how would you know what 60s weed is like?
Have you smoked a preserved strain?

Not him but I can just ask my parents

Maybe he started Smoking back then

>No one gets high the first time.
Oh so that explains why I spent the first several minutes catching my ego

Maybe not on your first Hit on ajoint but if you Start by Smoking a couple grams throu a bong you will