What’s the most difficult language for a native English speaker to master?

What’s the most difficult language for a native English speaker to master?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/2OynrY8JCDM
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_language
youtu.be/9M77TYEUNNg
youtu.be/DperrMULr70
youtu.be/Px1Mf2X8fS8
youtu.be/LD2x76WCcME
youtu.be/r4q9aeAqYEM
medium.economist.com/we-went-in-search-of-the-worlds-hardest-language-95a27c2cff3
youtube.com/watch?v=vExjnn_3ep4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Supposedly German and English share 46% lexical similarity.

But in real life

i would imagine sub-Saharan and aboriginal languages would be the most difficult. Those most distanced and alien to the Indo-European tree

Pretty sure Basque is the answer because it's a language isolate with no similarity to any other known language.

Korean might be even harder because it's also an isolate and doesn't use a latin script

In German we can also say "Nationalität". It then refers to both the subjects of a state as well as an ethnic background.

Reminder that the most recognizable German words to an English speaker are those of Latin or French origin

Pic related, the only recognizable German words there are

>Staaten
>Militar
>Zivil
>Personen

Truly makes one think

>Confusing vocabulary for grammar
I guess that makes Japanese a Sino-Tibetan language since 60% of its vocabulary derives from various dialects of Chinese huh?

Sanskrit, Arabic, Japanese

Japanese, Korean, or Chinese. I think Japanese is the hardest for a Native Speaker and Korean is the easiest of the three, but others have said Korean is harder and Chinese is easier, that sort of thing.

Betreten/treten = to tread
Befahren/fahren = to fare (though that's archaic)
Verboten = forbidden
Especially with old English words there are many similarities.

Twitch.tv
That shits impossible to comprehend

youtu.be/2OynrY8JCDM

>taking the Latin form when there exists Germanic synonyms
Really activated my almonds

I'm currently learning japanese and I can't see how it is harder than chinese.

Yeah I can't see it either, but some people just pick up different languages easier than others. Or they have a real weeb passion that doesn't apply to Chinese.

>taking the most common form

Fixed that for you

And many of these words have no Germanic form (mountain, desert, color, army)

>Army-Armee
>empire-Imperium

>German uses Romance words too!! Just like English does!!
>Therefore, English is Germanic!

Stop overreacting so much you autistic sperg.

>English /ˈJŋɡlJʃ/ (About this sound listen) is a West Germanic language that was first spoken in early medieval England and is now a global lingua franca.[4][5]
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_language

Also watch this video:

Finnish

See you blithering retard. Does English have extensive gender-based and verbal inflection? Doesn't fucking look like it does it?

>army
>armee
hmmm

Are you retarded?
Armee isnt a Germanic word
It's the French word for "army" (which is derived from it) that the German language borrowed when France was the leading military nation in Europe
It ultimately derives from the Latin "armāta"

There is no Germanic alternative to "army" in English

This, English is Germanic, stop LARPing as Romans please we want nothing to do with you.

Relatively speaking, Chinese. Completely different.

Tonal + No alphabet + logogram + no latin based

Ofcourse there's swahili/brainfuck/etc, but there aren't any speakers as large as Chinese. So relatively speaking, Chinese is the hardest. Japanese/Korean/Hindi/Arabic are all easier than Chinese due to the fact they got alphabet and are related to Indo-European language.

German is pretty easy to learn

lemme guess, that's your subtle way of saying the english should be ashamed of their norman ancestors (we all have them)?

:^)

>actually interesting content on Veeky Forums
leave

But seriously, thanks for the link, I just watched a bunch of this channel's videos and they're great.

Cyrilic alphabet is the most kino one so I would go with Rassyan (Ruskian) (Russian)

Which is why it's better to use the Germanic words "Herkunft", "Volkszugehörigkeit" and "Staatangehörigkeit". They're more clearly defined.

Something from the Caucasus or the Americas and also Korean and Japanese and any other language isolates (Burushaski, ancient Mesapotamian languages). By comparison French, Spanish, Norwegian, Dutch and languages related to it might be the easiest for differing reasons.

Meh Arabic letters aren't such a pain in the ass and the language is quite efficient and organized. It might not be easy to become a literary master of it but converts and jihadists do seem to pick it up fast. An Afghan once told how Arabic was easier to learn than Pashto which is more linguistically related to his native Dari.

Korean is the easiest of the three by far because the alphabet is extremely simple in comparison thanks to based Sejong intentionally creating it specifically so that learning to read and write wasn't difficult for even a commoner to do.

Contrast that to Chinese or Japanese where you have to learn thousands of characters off by heart to achieve a respectable level of literacy and you can see why its the easiest to learn as a foreigner.

>Does not include german coming through french, which is germanized latin
ok

because saying volk is now verboten

Grammar is probably easier for Chinese though.

>woods and forests aren't the same thing in english
>We use flush, in a slightly different way
>Sea is derived from see, the difference between hochsee and meer is purely pedantic
>wüste origin of wasteland(?)
>german uses six different words for army, most of which are english compatible (wehrmacht, armee)
>make is literally a spelling shift of machen/macht
>folk is an english word
>reich is an english word because of pop culture, deal with it
>sprache became speech with a vowel shift
This chart is hyper cherry picked.

A lot of those Romance words are obscure legal or medical terms. The everyday words we use are Germanic.

That's only true for words derived directly from Latin
French originated words are quite common
You can't hardly have any sentence without them

Most of these words are interchangable with other English words of Germanic origin. The thing about our language is that it is very diverse.

>implying most Germans don't just use "Nationalität"

Ojibwe
youtu.be/9M77TYEUNNg

Burushaski
youtu.be/DperrMULr70
youtu.be/Px1Mf2X8fS8

Adyghe (Circassian)
youtu.be/LD2x76WCcME

Chechen
youtu.be/r4q9aeAqYEM

Finnish isn't the most difficult language, but it's definitely up there.

medium.economist.com/we-went-in-search-of-the-worlds-hardest-language-95a27c2cff3
This article claims Tucuya is the most complex language but I can't find any article or description of it on Wikipedia.

I've been told Arabic

>S Tier
Any Asian language (excluding Korean)
Russian
Finnish
Hungarian
>How the fuck does this language even work there are no relatives tier
Basque
Korean

What's the deal with that channel? Is it for Christian missionaries who are trying to preach to obscure Central Asian ethnic groups?

Looks like it. They have videos for languages all across the world though.

>french is not latin

I don't think they would be very complex, considering they didn't invent anything. All the names for inventions outside of their area would be anglicised. The Japanese even have a separate alphabet for pronouncing and spelling English words called katakana.

>german uses six different words for army, most of which are english compatible (wehrmacht, armee)

Armee is a loanword in German, and Wehrmacht doesnt look like any English word

German and Germanic are not synonyms.

I think grammar is the least of your problems trying to learn it.
The fact that it's tonal is just going to fuck with a Enlish native speakers brain.
Have a poem.
youtube.com/watch?v=vExjnn_3ep4

>Grenzgebiet

Anyone else find it hilarious that the German word for "border" (Grenze) is a loanword from Polish?

Polysynthetic languages are probably the hardest, or Chinese.

prussians were self-hating polacks in denial, so it's not a suprise desu

>He thinks le Aryan languages are the pinnacle of complexity
Proto-Indo-European has literally "King who son not is want son." for "Once there was a king. He was childless. The king wanted a son."
Some Bantu languages put other languages to shame.

And burger

>wereldzee
>spraak
Wat

kształt (Gestalt)
malować (malen)
flaszka (Flasche)
urlop (Urlaub)
burmistrz (Bürgermeister)
dach (Dach)
wanna (Wanne)
mebel (Möbel)
tankować (tanken)
szminka (Schminke)
druk (Druck)
plac (Platz)
reszta (Rest)
kumpel (Kumpel)
gwałt (Gewalt)
rura (Rohr)
sznurek (Schnur)
wihajster (Wie heißt er?)
handel (Handel)

Just some german words in the polish language

half of it don't even have the same fucking meaning lmao

you're trying too hard unless you provide source for it

>comparing modern Bantu to fucking caveman speak
Real fair comparison, Jamal

Are you German or otherwise autistic? Obviously the Germans are a much more influential culture and there's bound to be many more German loanwords in Polish than vice versa.

What's funny / poignant is that a word like 'border' would happen to be one of the few the Germans borrowed from Polish.

That's like Romans borrowing the word for salt from Carthaginian.

>mountain
>berg

But the Korean script is pretty simple so far as I am aware, shit like Japanese that are isolates and have ridiculously complex scripts would be worse

languages are weird
perhaps it's just easier to say, and avoids confusion
possible alternatives would be "mark","rand", "trennlinie"

they are still loanwords regardless
and you can confirm these via google translator

>A lot of those words are or. The everyday words we are.
probably germanic
>Romance obscure legal medical terms use Germanic
latin/romance

I heard Polish is the hardest language for anyone to learn, even other slavics.

Its not.

Arabic and Japanese

Why the fuck does English have NO conjugation/inflection/gender? Even other languages that had extensive world empires (spanish, french) have something.

dumbed down by norsefags

Arabic is pretty fucking hard.

Spoken Japanese is piss easy. It's just the kanji