WW2 Iberia

Brainlet here. What did Spain and Portugal do in ww2 and how was Hitlers and Francos relationship

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=utA-BrRWPSw
twitter.com/AnonBabble

dude, just use wikipedia

Wikipedia wont tell me relations between Franco and Hitler i tried googling but nothing

Spain traded with Germany after the fall of France. Also it armed the border, to not get "allied" with Germany by force, like a lot of other countries were.
Portugal trade with both factions, and her alliance to Britain is what kept Spain neutral, basically if Spain declared to get Gibraltar, the British would attack through Portugal.

They kept each other neutral, Portugal leaning Allies, Spain leaning Axis.

Franco got hardware and other help from Hitler during the civil war, and later they met. They were buddies at first, but after the Nazi mysticism got out of hand, and since Franco was basically a Catholic dictator, they got sour.
I don't think they had a personal relationship, but Spain was useful even neutral, allowing South American resources to enter Europe through her neutral ports and go to Germany.

>and how was Hitlers and Francos relationship

They hated each others because of the Franco-Prussian War

Thats ridiculous, user. Hitler was not Prussian.

Hitler wanted to join WWII but Franco was making demands which Hitler thought were unreasonable. They didn't get along very well after that.

Not really Franco's fault, Spain had no military capabilities after the Civil War and if anything they would have been a hinderance during WWII, providing more coastline for the Allies to invade.

And, Hitler would Capture London before Madrid falls

Hitler said:
"I would rather pull 2 teeth out of my mouth than to speak to that man again!

Spain was an irrelevant shithole during WW2.

They only met once and instantly hated each other.
Franco was a devout Catholic man so he didn't really enjoy Nazi neopagan bullshit, and most of his advisors were convinced, very early in the war, that Germany would eventually lose no matter what. Therefore, it's possible he intentionally tried to torpedo the discussion by making unreasonable demands just to get Hitler to leave him alone.
Hitler despised Spaniards but he wasn't stupid enough to not try to get them on their side. However, he wasn't ready to give them any concessions besides granting them Gibraltar and giving them some equipment. In particular, he didn't want to give them North Africa, mostly because he still believed he would get the French to actually fight on his side and didn't want to piss them off by promising their colonial empire to the Spanish.
During the talks, Hitler got extremely irritated because Franco wasn't impressed by him at all and refused to settle for lesser demands. As for Franco, he observed that Hitler was the kind of guy who didn't actually want to reward potential allies, and as such, he didn't bother aligning with the Axis.

>No Azores and no Spain's semi-enclaves in North Africa in the map

Franco Virgin vs the Salazar Chad

doubtful

allies would just ignore spain, knowing they wouldn't try shit

>Hitler would Capture London

>providing more coastline for the Allies to invade.
because it worked out so well in Italy?
Axis would just block all approach in Pyrenees

>Franco was making demands which Hitler thought were unreasonable
he wanted Nigeria which was absolutely never going to happen, he should have been happy that hitler offered him the rest of Morocco

It did work out in Italy, the Allies successfully invaded it.

>he should have been happy that hitler offered him the rest of Morocco
Hitler had essentially no chance of winning the war and Franco probably knew that. He would have to be offered more than just Morocco for him to enter what was essentially a suicide pact.

D o you honestly think the British would be able to send their navy around Spain, Italy Germany and Japan and STILL be able to protect London?!

Franco wasn't trying to get land; he was trying to get Hitler to leave him alone. The intent was to be unreasonably brash.

>believing a lie

The only reason Franco didn't join the axis was because his military was inefficient.

If Franco was elected into power like Hitler, he most certainly joined without even being asked.

Yea but Franko was one half of that equation, so...

pretty good analysis desu
I think though that Hitler's ideas were indded flawed on the Spanish question. Franco and his circle were wedded to the idea of creating a spanish north african empire, and so Hitlers outright denial of those claims made any question of an alliance a nonstarter. Realistically, Hitler needed to win the Mediterranean by taking Gibraltar and using the Italian navy to secure Mediterranean supremacy. However, this was denied to him by Mussolini's chimpout and Franco's refusal of alliance. All this said, I don't like Axis but I see this as necessary for having any shot at winning in southern europe and north africa

>Franco didn't join the far stronger organization which had a really good military because his military was bad
Makes perfect sense.

>perfect sense
I hope you are saying that unironically.

But Franco wanted Gibraltar

Blue division

>They kept each other neutral, Portugal leaning Allies, Spain leaning Axis.

Both Spain and Portugal were pro-axis.... the point about Portugal was that, they had the old alliance with Uk, so they remained neutral, Salazar also pushed Spain towards neutrality... but ideologically there's no doubt they were in the same italian, german line:

youtube.com/watch?v=utA-BrRWPSw

i think they both had a division of volunteers in the german ranks

Salazar hated Hitler

>Salazar hated Hitler

Quote needed or fake news.

Portugal was the only country in the world that declared 3 days of national mourning for Adolf.H death in 45.lel

while giving free access to Madeira and Azores to the allies
The eternal luso

>Spain
Spain was mostly neautral but did send something called the Blue Division and later the Blue Legion to the eastern front, they would only ever fight in the east iirc. Stalin was tempted to declare war on Spain because of this. Hitler meet with Franco multiple times to convince to join the axis and invade Gibraltar but Franco declined or made even more demands in exchange for joining, this made Hitler have a rather unfavourable view of Franco and believed he was stubborn. Spain would trade with Germany and also Italy I believe.

>Portugal
Again was neutral and put in a strange position, it had a centuries long alliance with Britain but the leadership was not entirely unlike that of Italy and Germany. Portugal would actually accept some refugees from the war. Portugal could have ended up in the war as Japan invaded its colony of East Timor but decided against it, only sending some African soldiers to look after it a bit. I believe they saw axis loss as inevitable. Portugal did not send any divisions as Spain did.

Didn't Hitler and Franco dislike each other because Franco arrived like 3 hours late to their first meeting and had horrible table manners?

Hitler was the one who ate like a pig, Franco was one of those "you always show proper ettiquete at the table" military officers.

Both countries sent tin and tungsten to Germany, the latter an important resource for German armaments production.