What do people mean when they say "I'm a Christian not a Catholic"?

What do people mean when they say "I'm a Christian not a Catholic"?

Catholics aren't Christian

How do Protestants/non-Catholics explain pic related?

Easy. The image displays tremendous historical ignorance.

Okay we get it you Protty. "Real Christianity" stopped existing from the year 100 until 1524 when it was "restored" by Martin Luther. God simply allowed his church to be dead for 1500 years.

Get off your high horse, Catholic doctrine has evolved over the centuries. The doctrine of Petrine authority first appeared in the 5th century, not the 1st. The Papacy as the head of all of Christendom was a blatant power grab by the Papacy, not something that existed from the beginning.

avignon papacy didn't happen then i guess? the crusades, etc?

papism was invented 400 years before martin luther, which isn't a religion but a denial of papal supremacy

whats your point the chruch established by christ in 33 ad was the same which had the councils of nicaea, constantinople, Ephesus, chalcedon ect...

the church just clarified theological issues and instilled doctrinal teachings.

>5th century

Tertullian, apologist
“I now inquire into your opinion, to see whence you usurp this right for the Church. Do you presume, because the Lord said to Peter, “On this rock I will build my Church, I have given you the keys of the kingdom of heaven.” (Matthew 16:18-19a) or ‘whatever you shall have bound or loosed on earth will be bound or loosed in heaven.” (Matthew 16:19b) that the power of binding and loosing has thereby been handed onto you, that is to every church akin to Peter? What kind of man are you, subverting and changing what was the manifest intent of the Lord when he conferred this personally upon Peter?” -(On Modesty, 21:9-10, 200 A.D.)

St. Clement of Alexandria, theologian
“The blessed Peter, the chosen, the pre-eminent, the first among the disciples, for whom alone with himself the Saviour paid the tribute (Matthew 17:27), quickly grasped and understood their meaning. And what does he say? “Behold, we have left all and have followed you.” [Matt 19:27; Mark 10:28]“ -(Who is the Rich Man That is Saved?, 21:3-5, 190 A.D.)

St Hippolytus of Rome, theologian / priest
“Peter, the Rock of the faith, whom Christ our Lord called blessed, the teacher of the Church, the first disciple, he who has the keys of the kingdom.” -(Hippolytus, Exfabrico. n.9, 225 A.D.)

Peter WAS NEVER Chosen to lead "Christ's Church" that's the Holy Spirit's job

Papal succession, of course, is a joke, and even the Catholic sources give evidence of some of the UTTER REPROBATES that have claimed to be "the Vicar of Christ"

Rome certainly HAS NOT "Infallibly guided" the church, as it's often corrupt, and violent History clearly demonstrates

That they are retarted

Jesus didn't look like that.

They mean they do not acknowledge the Vatican's authority but used poor word choice to express it.

>Peter WAS NEVER Chosen to lead "Christ's Church" that's the Holy Spirit's job
That's kind of like saying a farm's not maintained by its farmers but by the sickles they use and the wheat they harvest.

1. Rome has never embraced heresy
2. Christ literally appointed St. Peter to lead the Church.

"You are the rock, and on this rock I will build my Church."

>3490677
0/10 terrible b8

Cite: St peters

>"You are the rock, and on this rock I will build my Church."

By which he actually meant

>"You will found the See of Rome, which will, for the first few hundred centuries, have no real authority over any of the other major Sees, and will only start to develop the idea of supremacy around 400 years after I die. After that, this claim will not go unchallenged, as the Patriarchs of Constantinople will refute this, until eventually the arguments will become so intense that exactly 1022 years after my death, both your successors and the successors of Andrew with excommunicate each other. It is then, and only then, that this "rock" will have some degree of legitimacy in claiming that they are the uncontested head of my Church."

Because papists aren't Christians but a polytheistic cult who worship a maternal fertility goddess who started larping as Christians after it became Rome's state religion.

>who worship a maternal fertility goddess
>implying that isn't based

It is particularly sill when if you're not a Catholic you're not a Christian.

t. babby

Jesus waited thousands of years to reveal himself for humanity
god saw it wise to let the people living in America wait more than a thousand year before ever hearing of his word
trust his ways

Catholics aren't the only Christians, but they sure as hell are the best one

>when you have to read the image name to know what this map even means

>implying Christianity as a whole isn't a polytheistic pagan cult

What is the Trinity?

there is only one God tho you brainlet, what's so hard to understand?

>One God who had a son who's also God, who is his own father, and is also a bird God because reasons.

Yeah, very """monotheistic."""

Catholicism is just Europe's old pagan cults sprinkled with nominal monotheism, a few remixed values and tenets and an organised structure.

Which is why it's great. Modern LARPing pagans like to diss it, but by doing so they reject the actual religion of their forefather, while worshiping deities of foreign people in a reconstructed by proto-fantasy writers.

Protestants are just faggots who completely missed the point of religion.

Protestants are just bitter that their form of Christianity came out of thin air and their churches weren't directly established by the apostles, like the Catholic and Eastern Orthodox ones.

They're either chinese or an edgelord. In Chinese the translation is a little funny, and catholic gets placed in its own category.

This

>My head and my ass are interchangeable.

The Holy Trinity is Three in one, they are the same entity, the Father son and Holy spirit, how hard is that to understand?

The Trinity is a meme. No one believed in it until some user fucked with 1 John 5:7-8.

>1 John 5:8 Late manuscripts of the Vulgate testify in heaven: the Father, the Word and the Holy Spirit, and these three are one. 8 And there are three that testify on earth: the (not found in any Greek manuscript before the fourteenth century)

I have never heard a coherent account of the trinity.

I don't have faith in hebrew mythology, so I won't define it for you, but in my experience it invariably falls afoul of the principle of noncontradiction put forward by the Twin Gods, Plato & Aristotle.

fuck jesus christ

>I don't have faith in hebrew mythology, so I won't define it for you, but in my experience it invariably falls afoul of the principle of noncontradiction put forward by the Twin Gods, Plato & Aristotle.

In a just society, you'd be bullied and shoved into a locker for that phrase alone.

What is transubstation?

Cry all you want, no amount of tears will make your mythology real

t. Papist

>trinity
>hebrew

Actually, its believed by most non-catholics that the early catholic church was the ideal, but after many reforms that made it a religion of man and not a religion of God, it ceased being the ideal, and only deteriorated since then, the major downturn happened sometime between the 10th-12th centuries

They aren't roman Catholic

See
Your image doesnt even include the Oriental Orthodox which is fairly dishonest

That's kinda funny because most of the stuff besides the papacy that protestants dont like was in place by the 3rd century

I love how the Old testament faithful is a real thing here, and not a conglomeration of conflicting Jewish and semantic religions

That's just ameriprotestants.

I think the best explanation is 80% because they're stupid and 20% because theyhave a tremendous butthurt that their religion came around about 1500 years after Christ and was first established by a Catholic monk who became cismatic after having daddy issues and wanted to reform the Catholic church but ended up splitting after the tremendous butthurt of having his theology dismissed by the Doctors of the Church.

I said first established because later came legion of other illuminated dotards, mostly in England and Murica, to lecture/shitpost the sheepish masses on their own very expert knowledge about christianity.

But since most ameriprotestants don't even know that, it all comes down to 100% stupidity.

>old testament faithful

What?

But I don't actually believe in the mythology you fucking nerd. I think it's an interesting culture and wonderful tool for instilling morals and guide the people.

>Anglicans somehow less heretic than Catholics
>Orthodox considering themselves the successors of Jews

The Protestant account would be closest to reality if they admitted that their "reconstruction" is largely guesswork and as prone to drift as the originals, but Catholicism's embrace of European paganism makes it better culturally and artistically.

I've known a few people who say they're catholic, not christian, and the only explanation they give is that christians are protestants.
Pretty retarded.

Actually what you said is true except it was Joseph Smith who restored Christianity.

>tran-sub-station
idk a subway terminal probably

Its a statement steeped in ignorance. Protestants think Catholics are Mary worshiping papists. Even the Catholic church doesn't maintain that all of their previous popes were infallible and most catholics don't follow the word of the pope that closely, let alone let it dictate all the ideas of their faith. Most of what Luther despised is not a fixture of the catholic church in the same way it once was.

Then explain all the Catholics that insist their 'Catholics, not christian'.

>Protestants think Catholics are Mary worshiping papists.
If the shoe fits.

Christianity was created by the Jews to destroy Rome since they couldn't beat them in war, they needed another way.
>b-b-but Jews hate Christians
If you were creating a religion to destroy a group of people, would you just go out and start telling everybody that you creating it? No, even if you only tell your own people, every extra person you tell raises the chance that word will get out.
Also, it was nothing more than a tool to whichever Jew(s) created it, so them hating it isn't an argument. Some people really hate having to drive and curse all cars every day, but it's still a tool they have to use.

>its a conspiracy amirite guys haha when the jews had jesus murdered they totally intended for him to be worshiped as a deity and when they killed stephen it was just a prank that went too far haha trust me bros

As a catholic apostate I don't believe anyone could be that retarded and think you must have imagined it.

Christianity just took pagan religions, slapped a few new names on holidays, turned deities into patron saints and called it a day. Explain to me, in details, the huge differences in theology and usages between Christianity and Roman/"Other"-Roman paganism as it would have been practiced by the people, that somehow undermined the West.

And if you start spouting some nonsense about artificial, reconstructed LARPing religions like Germanic/Nordic/Baltic paganism, then at least give me examples about how these religions were in a single way a better societal mortar than Christianity.

>dismissing the Immaculate Conception as something that was just "added"

Didn't the Orthodox specifically go out of their way to explain in details the circumstances of Mary's impregnation and assert that she was indeed a virgin? In an early oecumenical council or some Byzantine theological debate.

The Orthodox asserted that Jesus was born from anal sex. (Dick in butt doesn't count, because uhhh. JEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEZUS) They are heretics beyond compare.