What can /his tell me about Austria Hungary

What can /his tell me about Austria Hungary

>Austria
>Hungaru

Can someone tell me how the dual monarchy functioned? As far as I know the Empire was divided into austrian lands and hungarian lands. What does it mean? Where czechs under austrians or hungarians?

>slavs chimp out threatening to tear apart your empire
>solution is to annex more slavs

>Austria
Comfy place with tons of philosophers and coffee houses, beautiful countryside, some of the best living standards in europe

>everywhere else
Shitty illiterate farmers living in misery

It wasn’t really one country, it was more like Austria and her colonies. Except Hungary, who basically chimped out and demanded to be equal like Austria, then blocked other nationalities getting the same rights. Crabs in a bucket.

The land was divided into various sub-kingdoms, dutchies and similar which were either under Austrian or Hungarian control, with Habsburgs being on top of everything.

You could've saved it

>tfw Austria had a fleet

Croatia was with Hungary for 1000 years though. Why would they want to be with Serbs and muslims?

And why did Hungary supposedly block other nationalities

Why the fuck is the cross above the Hungarian side crooked? This has bugged me ever since I first noticed it.

That map is dumb, but federalized A-H is my wet dream desu

Seriously, Franz Joseph was a sadistic retard, all he had to do was give bigger autonomy

Why does Veeky Forums obsess over Austria-Hungary so much?

I'm a distant Habsburg and it tickles me to see people so obsessed over the old empire.

>im a distant habsburg
sure, maybe your whore grand-grandmother was raped by some austrian.

Either way you didn't answer my question.

Why would me being distantly related bother you anyway? I'm from Austria and there's a sizeable community of us.

I obsess over it since my great-grandpa was part of it

red kan bledsinn, bua

How was Hasburg rule? How did it change over time?

1526-1620
Czech estates are pretty strong, Habsbourgs have little real influence, there is strong religious tolerance here

1620-1800
All the good stuff ends, after the Battle of White Mountain Habsbourgs start recatholization and centralization, taking a huge shit on any religious tolerance that we had here, and severing the rights of or straight-on exiling any Czech nobles, also forceful germanization of common folk

1800-1848
Czech national rebirth, shitload of industry being built here, pretty good times

1848-1918
Time of Franz "you're all gonna like me or i'm gonna beat you" Joseph, his giant faggotry, and refusal to make even the littlest of concessions is what cause A-H to fall apart

After WWI they gave it to Yugoslavia, but the Italians got buttmad about it, since they wanted both the ships and the land given to the slavs, so they bombed it without declaring war.
The other countries let it happen. A sign for the times to come.

>this is what they tell you in czech schools

Franz was an idiot, he thought he is living in in 18th century absolutism

Franz thought that God has forsaken him, and plagued him with nationalism, and that nationalism will ruin all empires.
He had a victim complex and was bitter and depressed about his role, and that of other emperors, being forced away by progress.

He knew what was going on, and hated it. He wasn't stupid, just sad.

It's an interesting bit of history

Damn, that sounded sad

Anyway, he was stupid, all he had to do was give conscessions, or federalize. He could be progressive ruler that adapted to modern times, instead of forcing attitude of previous century.

>Anyway, he was stupid, all he had to do was give conscessions, or federalize

You are saying that as a modern man, not as a Hapsburg who had God put his family in control of his people, a holy man descendant from the roman emperors, who will bring stability and peace to all of christomdom, and fulfill his burden to spread civilization and the word of his Lord, the God of christianity. Or some such. Surely he felt he had a mission and he was fucking up what all his ancestors had succeeded in doing. And then his successor died before he did. He must've felt he was rotting alive.

>Why the fuck is the cross above the Hungarian side crooked?
An accident, it was damaged at some point, but they just decided to leave it crooked. Not joking.

>Croatia was with Hungary for 1000 years though. Why would they want to be with Serbs and muslims?

what does this even mean?
they were the only south (or slav) state with right for their own kingdom. And don't forget Croats are the one that started the whole yugoslavism idea + this are their "muh clay" borders

Mate even the EU pushes the Habsburg narrative, so they can use it defend their own multi-national Empire. Also the Habsburg are generally seen as good guys that beat back the muslims. There isn't so much dirt on them compared to other royal lines. Also Austria is pretty much a universally liked nation, unlike Germany.

>illyrian idea was the first yugoslav idea
when will this meme die

Franz-Ferdinand shouldn't have been killed
The Central Powers should have won WW1
A-H should have become the USA
Franz Ferdinand should have become Emperor

>swinging traditionalism around
If you would go by that, then Habsbourgs would die out in 1740, and the whole Monarchy would get split up between Ottos, Prussia and Russia.

I get your point, i am just saying it wasn't a necessity to be a tradition-freak like Franz was, and the fact that he wasn't able to get on with the times and do progressive reforms is what fucked over A-H

You that dumb?