Multiculturalism

Has their been any sucessfull multicultural civilization?

>inb4 Roman Empire

India

I remember when I was reading an article on a triad of economic prosperity, a diverse population and the measured liberity. It concluded that you can choose either two out of three but can never obtain them all. They gave the example of Singapore to prove their point. An economically prospering city state with a multicultural population but with little social liberty and an authoritarian government.

It made sense to me.

Isnt also Singapores goverment 100% ethnic singaporeans?

America

al andalus
ussr

There are no ethnic singaporeans. Unless you refer to native born Singaporeans of Chinese descent.

All pre-modern empires were multicultural in the sense that they had no means to enforce cultural uniformity and had to integrate different nations into the economic, military and administrative fiber of the state. Now I think of it, the modern supra-national empire like the Soviet Union would too be called "multicultural" today.

This is a stupid question because of the fundamentally despotic and authoritarian nature of these ancient Empires. It makes it seem like the only way a multicultural society can survive is through forced coexistence (and normally segregation)

Norman Sicily, at least until 1161.

Rogerius Dei gratia Sicilie Calabrie Apulie Rex
Ρογέριος kραταιὸς εὐσεβής ῥήξ
أل-مو'تز بي-يāه أل-ملك روجāر أل-مو'زم
(al-mu'tazz bi-llāh al-malik Rujār al-mu'aẓẓam)

Soviet Union is a good example of failed multiculturalism. All those people kept tp their own group. It fell cuz countries wamted a country and a identity of its own. The goverment was also made up mostly of white russians

The U.S.A.

>Race riots
>Big ethnic tension between races
>White majority rule most of goverment
And most races/groups keep to their own groups there

Rome wasn't multicultural anyway, they enforced assimilation of all groups except for the Greeks (because Romans were Greekaboos).
This is the only real example that hasn't degenerated into violent ethnic cleansing.

Ottoman Balkans till 19th century.

Isnt tension high between muslims and hindus though?

>implying all the european immigrants that integrated into american society over the years haven't counted

>except for the Greeks (because Romans were Greekaboos).
or problably because they had similar culture and customs

What?

There has been no major monocultural civilization. There have always been attempts at monocultural civilizations, and that is all.

You're operating on a dead definition of what "multicutural" means, and you'll most likely refuse to update your information simply because acknowledging that your interpretation is wrong is too much of a shock for your ego. I'm not entirely sure why people like you even bother to ask questions in the first place, since you'll believe what you want to believe no matter what; it's not like an echobox is even necessary for you to feel intellectual comfort.

>i assume entertainment "news" media is always the truth
There's got to be a name for the fallacy that happens when someone sees less than 1% of a whole, and assumes that is the way the other 99% is as well.

Incredibly vocal minorities, internet memes, and contrarianism aside, the United States is a fully functional melting pot of multiculturalism.

Harlem and White neighbourhoods seems to disagree

Very few. Multiracial civilisations on the other hand have occurred frequently and with great successes.

Brazil

.... Is a country in south america.
I suppose part of the issue here is defining what is a successful multicultural society. There have been many multicultural nations who have been extremely successful- basically every single nation of any appreciable size must be multicultural by its very nature- but whether this success was because of the multiculturalism or despite it is an entirely separate issue.

No. All past multicultural societies werent really multicultural in modern sense, you had a dominant culture.
user above also makes a good point about how multiculturalism can only work under authoritharianism and social conservatism.

China
India
France
Italy
Germany

All of those are garbage states in 2017

Um, no sweetie, they’re diverse paradises of tolerance and acceptance.