Is Pascal's Wage logical?

Is Pascal's Wage logical?

This is a very interesting chart.

pascal's wage more like pascal's russian roulette

was pascal a complete fucking moron? Was he so totally incapable of seeing just how completely flawed his wager was?

elaborate

He assumes the Christian god is the only god athiests/agnostics don't believe in

No he didn't. Even if other gods are possible, beliving in Christian God gives you still a better chance than beeing an Atheist

Unless the real god hates people who believe in another god more than he hates people who don't believe at all.

But the main problem is you just can't believe something you don't believe in. The Christian god would know if you're in it just for the reward and don't really believe in him.

>no Tengrism
but then again, it would basically be like singularitarianism, minus the "bad deeds rewarded"

Why is the Wiccan column so schizophrenic?

>Is Pascal's Wage logical?
No. Worshipping out of convenience isn't genuine faith in many religions so no heaven, it doesn't account for actually worshipping the right god (like in your pic), and it doesn't account for you effectively wasting a lot of time and resources plus limiting yourself in the ONLY life you have if atheists are right.

>Pascal assumed God would want people to believe in him.

Meanwhile all the evidence we have says God likes being silent.

>Pascal assumed God would punish people for not believing in him.

Meanwhile our innate morality says that shouldn't matter at all.

The Judaism one is completely wrong and judging by that I would assume that a lot of the others are too.

yes

What does Judaism even believe in anyway?

Given his contributions to mathematics, it's safe to say that Pascal was not a moron. He was just living in a very insular culture compared to ours and so the prospect of other religions being correct probably seemed silly to him.

There is no explicit description of the afterlife in Judaism. There is some kind of belief in one, as evidenced by numerous practices and references to the soul in the Old Testament, but its exact nature is never expounded upon. There are references to a "Sheol", but it seems to be more of a metaphor for nothingness than an actual afterlife.

Once you parse its granular structure, this grapic does a good job of illustrating why, as an atheist, I "like" Jehovah's Witnesses despite how their insular cultishness messes up their kids. They at least have /a humane theology and eschatology/ and are pretty up-front about it, which is better than most other religions. I'm totally good with being totally destroyed.

OTOH the graphic seems only to refer to LaVeyan (((Satanism))) aka Atheism with Edgy Ritual, and does not refer to theistic Satanism, which is a thing. Come to think of if I don't know if theistic Satanists even have a well-thought-out eschatology (not that any such thing exists of course, but you know what I mean).

Who exactly holds the "all go to hell" doctrine?

The triangle is a constantly useful object for the actual doing of mathematics. The more math I learn the more useful it becomes, expressing series and countings in such-and-such a way, and so on. The triangle is Pascal's genius.

The wager has its obvious faults, and represents Pascal's. I thus have a mixed opinion of Pascal.

Fedora math guy *dabs*

*idoicy

Guess I'd better convert to Zoroastrianism.

unquestionably

Blaise Pascal is accosted by a mugger who has forgotten his weapon. However, the mugger proposes a deal: the philosopher gives him his wallet, and in exchange the mugger will return twice the amount of money tomorrow. Pascal declines, pointing out that it is unlikely the deal will be honoured. The mugger then continues naming higher rewards, pointing out that even if it is just one chance in 1000 that he will be honourable, it would make sense for Pascal to make a deal for a 2000 times return. Pascal responds that the probability for that high return is even lower than one in 1000. The mugger argues back that for any low probability of being able to pay back a large amount of money (or pure utility) there exists a finite amount that makes it rational to take the bet – and given human fallibility and philosophical scepticism a rational person must admit there is at least some non-zero chance that such a deal would be possible. In one example, the mugger succeeds by promising Pascal 1,000 quadrillion happy days of life. Convinced by the argument, Pascal gives the mugger the wallet.

Kek

>random nigger and hippie "religions"
>equal to the religion of the one true God whose presence on this Earth has been historically proven

Amazing how far butthurt atheists can go in order to try to prove their betters wrong

Pascal's wager was made in a diary iirc, it was never meant to be a serious argument. No bully

I think JW's are probably closer to what Christianity was originally about than most mainstream churches.

nice