Why do people act like the golden rule makes sense?

Why do people act like the golden rule makes sense?

Why does every thread on Veeky Forums involving the golden rule involve pictures of anime girls with question marks next to their heads?

Probably the same shitposter making the same bait threads

Sick flip.
BEcause it does, you utter fucking retard, if you don't actively attempt to hurt other people they will have no reason to hurt you, if we all follow this, the only reason to hurt someone else is out of malice, something that other people will see and criticise.

Try using thought, reason, or logic. It should become obvious why it makes sense, even if you still refuse to accept it.

But hurting others can be advantageous?

Cooperation can be as well

this
thread is closed

heh, is that a fact

*teleports behind you*

what people consider hurtfull varies from person to person, not including obvious hurtfull acts like murder

If either can be advantageous how is that support for the golden rule?

It does if you adopt a moral system where it's a moral obligation to to adhere to it.
In fact you can prove that such a moral system is the smallest moral system such that the golden rule makes sense so you can't really get away from adopting that as your moral grounding if you really want it to make sense.

Because the golden rule is just an expression of the concept of Reciprocity, the idea of mutual benefit. Even many species of animals understand the benefit of not harming other members of their own group. One of the advantages of human beings is its possible to extend this concept to even the cooperation of multiple groups.

The idea isn't to universally be benevolent regardless of the circumstances, its that benevolence is very often a strength due to simple math. Five strong men are stronger then one strong man.

Why do people act like the golden rule doesn't make sense?

Nobody needs convincing to be benevolent when it benefits them how does the golden rule convince you to be benevolent when it's not obviously in your self-interest?

Think about it this way;
You, the OP, don't want to suffer. Thus, if everyone in society refrained from causing others to suffer, you would not suffer. If the rule wasn't followed, you would suffer. Thus, it's valuable to have everybody obey it if the lies make society better.

My adherence to the rule has little impact on other's adherence to the rule.

It does. If you break the rule, it encourages others to break it.

Yeah pal, you really come across like someone who stands to benefit from that mentality and not a victim of it.

Elaborate?

Not in any meaningful way considering I live in a community of millions of people.

It's not magic, stupid. "Rule" is probably throwing you off from what it actually is. You sound like you think holding a door open for someone is supposed to stop your boss from being a faggot.

What does this have to do with my post?
user claimed breaking the rule would encourage others to break it. This effect is negligible in the modern world.
Do you have defense of the golden rule that isn't an appeal to some dubious karmic system?

It pretty much comes down to positivity being far more condusive to breeding positivity, as much as I hate using a word like that. That's all it is. You're the one thinking it's a magic karma system. It just means nice promotes nice better than not nice.

But what if I want to kill people?

Then what incentive is there to follow the rule?

Let me put it the other way. If you act like a cunt, then nobody will EVER be nice to you, because you didn't give them an incentive. Quite the opposite.

If you selectively act like a cunt then plenty of people will be nice to while you reap the benefits of being a cunt.

What's that? If you act nice to people they also act nice to you and if you're a cunt they'll be cunts? Oh, but you can be a cunt in secret so people will be nice to you.

Sounds like it makes perfect sense to you and you want to game it. Fine.

Then you shouldn't act surprised when one kills you

Less advantageous than cooperation or negotiation.

This is not obvious.

because if everyone hurts each other to get ahead, nobody does

>dick people around
>whine like a bitch when they dick you back

and that's why I'll never get moral relativists

But the golden rule is applied to individual?

>rules shouldn't be extrapolated to a population
really makes you think

This is the point where I really hope you're actually just doing a thought experiment, and this is where you hit the wall. You don't write like you're ACTUALLY that retarded.

Only the weak and abused thinks it makes sense, friend.

The rest of us "follow" it to give them a sense of false of hope of """"equality"""".

I mean you've pretty much done fuck all to disprove it, you've just bragged about how you can be a shithead anyway while bemoaning "the modern world" where too many other people are like you.

because theyre slaves

Unless those are actually exploitation

like hurting others for gain?

are we really still stuck on the "golden rule doesn't make sense because it's not a cosmic law" thing?

>disproving normative statement

Why the 'golden rule' doesn't make sense:

>be a good person all your life
>don't harm anyone
>walk down the street
>someone stabs you for fun/profit
>you die

So how does it 'make sense' exactly? People are no more than animals and you have to do what you can to survive.

For some killing others proves to be massively lucrative deal and they spend their lives happily living in luxury, e.g Richard kuklinski, elites who usher in conflicts for financial gain etc

'''Golden rule''' BTFO

"You can fool all the people some of the time, and some of the people all the time, but you cannot fool all the people all the time." - Abraham Lincoln

Because I enjoy having people treat me nicely back

*kills you anyway*

How did that work out for you?

>one instance of possible shit luck means you should be a dick to everyone whenever possible
brb going to the street and calling everyone a cunt

So it's in your best interests to be locked up for life? No? Then why stab people when you can live peacefully in freedom instead?

>be sicko with fantasies of getting raped in an alley
>rape someone in an alley
>just doing unto others as you would have them do unto you

You'd have to be a pretty sick, twisted individual to mistake a sexual kink for a human right.

If you have a rape fetish, set something up for someone to break into your house and rape you. Don't go projecting your kinks onto people who weren't asking for it. It'd be more like:
>"I have a rape fetish, that's why I tried to rape you"
>"my fetish is shooting rapists, that's why I pulled this gun on you"

Proves it's not the 'golden rule' though. It's just a rule for weak and low status people to cope with.

Some people can get away with it, in fact a lot of people profit from violence e.g criminals gang members, drug dealers, professional fighters, and if all else fails just write a book about your violent lifestyle e.g chopper read and become a millionaire

Being meek because you lack power to gain through violence - 'golden rule'

The exception doesn't invalidate the rule; for every good deed 'punished' there are a hundred more that are rewarded, along with successful prosecutions for breaching the social compact.

It's interesting you listed Richard Kuklinski, because he ultimately died alone in prison with his wife signing a 'do no resuscitate' order. Does that sound like a good result to you?

It is intended to teach people empathy.

>the rapist meticulously plans the rape and rapes you with a gun pointed at your head so you have no time to take out your gun

It's all about who has the most power to get away with the act.

Tell me about all the shit you've done and gotten away with tough guy

Kuklinski loved his family and they visisted him in prison regularly.

He informed his wife that 'they' were poisoning his food causing his early demise.

It is likely that kuklinski would not want to be resuscitated. What's the point if he's spending life in prison?

I'm also sure his family knew about him being a hitman, and he told his wife to tell the media she hated him so she doesn't face revenge attacks or chastised by the public

Now look at every other schmuck working hard and being ''nice'' yet still virgin, poor and no life. Whilst serial killers and rapists enjoy comfort, family and luxury

then it wouldn't matter what your philosophy is, if the person was that determined to exert power over you, you could be a Navy SEAL or Israeli Mossad agent and still get raped.

however what does matter is how your philosophy compels you to react to the act of coercion. Vengeance will not undo the act, nor will it bring you inner peace, only forgiveness can do that. Forgiving others is forgiving yourself. That's the point of the golden rule

Committed various crimes from theft, violent offences to scamming people. I'm living pretty well with a great job and the girl of my dreams.

The offences I committed had zero repercussion on me and I gained a lot either financially (scamming) or mentally (violent offences) by the gratification gained from imposing myself on others

When I was a kid I bullied weaker kids for fun, again, no repercussions

Here's a better question, why do people act like the "Golden Ratio" is some divine law of aesthetics and not something incredibly arbitrary?

>someone rapes your family and kills them

>h-heh.. j-just forgive them bro..

Yet the fact remains that YOU yourself don't want to become a victim of violence. Thus, obeying the social compact and not committing crime dramatically decreases the likelihood of becoming one.

Adhering to the Golden Rule may not always guarantee reward, but there is virtually no guarantee that a sociopath will not face consequences for their actions.

I'm sure you did bud

Acknowledging that repercussions exist is proof in and of itself that the Golden Rule exists and works most of the time. Why are you so adamant that your exception invalidates a well-proven principle? Did you also lose faith in gravity the moment you let go of a helium balloon?

If the victims of this hate crime can do it, so can you.

It's one thing to want to see justice, it's another thing entirely to cling to hatred

If a sociopath balances the risk and reward and decides to carry on anyway, that invalidates the golden rule principal

You'd be surprised. Ive only committed relatively minor offences and live a comfortable life compared to the average person. But there's some people out there who will fuck others over HARD to succeed

>this is what meek little cuckolds actually believe

Sad

You realise that no one actually believes you, right?

>>this is what meek little cuckolds actually believe
said the final generation of every pagan culture exposed to Christianity.

Unfortunately for them, the meek inherited the Earth

>If a sociopath balances the risk and reward and decides to carry on anyway, that invalidates the golden rule principal

How does an exception that has made a poor risk assessment invalidate the rule? That's like saying that a retard that crosses the road successfully without looking proves you shouldn't look before crossing the road.

There's virtually no guarantee that a sociopath will face consequences for their actions.

>sitting in a 8 foot box with no windows forever is comfort and luxury

lmaoing at your retardation senpai

If serial killers and psychopaths have it so good how come none of them are millionares? How come they are removed from greater society and reviled by all except a damaged few?

Get your head out of your ass, faggot, and realize that if there were no rules to be nice to people youd be one of the simpering dogs getting their throat cut by the American Association of Sociopaths for fun.

You sound like a faggot.

I dont believe you. And if I did Id call you retarded for bragging about it online like a child.

Yes but the system is rigged against them, retard. The existence of a justice system means that being rewarded for your unlawful behaviour is fucking slim to none.

>The existence of a justice system means that being rewarded for your unlawful behaviour is fucking slim to none.
How naive are you?

Fuck off you make this thread all the time

The golden rule is actually a manipulation method, like all communication, really. It usually happens subconsciously though.

Reciprocity is key here. Now, if I was to respond to your post like did, it would incite a threat response in you, and you would feel the need to reciprocate that threat induction, as to not ''lose''. Same goes with the golden rule, only it acts to diffuse threat and animosity. Of course, this all depends on the condition of the person, thus it doesn't work on everyone. It usually does, with neurotypical people. I've had conversations online and in real life, where not reciprocating the other persons threat inductions actually gets them to feel shame, so they try to ''get on your level''. But again, this doesn't always work.

Hitler figured that aggression and violence can be even more useful than cooperation, and who cares if he breaks the Golden Rule?

How is he doing right now?

>no millionaires are psychopaths

Don't get butthurt pussy. not everyone is an internet virgin who was too scared to do anything growing up.

I bet youve never even been in a punch up lmao

If you don't thats your problem. You should though because i have nothing to gain or lose from lying to you. Just proving a point, if you don't believe me you're only fooling yourself

Only a lot of people will stop being nice to you when they find out you're a cunt, especially if your form of cuntishness is something like "making hobos fight each other for your amusement".

He's an autist who cannot differentiate between different uses of the word "rule".

Okay. But wouldn't society fall apart then?

>normative
This is the reason everyone tells you you're retarded.