What's your favorite era of Roman history?

What's your favorite era of Roman history?

Other urls found in this thread:

elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Pocket_Guide_to_the_Empire,_Third_Edition:_Black_Marsh
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Republic > all

Genociding the C*rthaginians

The comfy republic.

>pic
sauce?

The one when women weren't existing yet

Late Antiquity/Byzantines

The 30 years war

Atatürk period

Only right answer
CARTHAGO DELENDA EST

*get raped by germanics 500 years later*

deserved t b h

another one

Probably the period from the rule of Constantine through the final war with the Sassanids.

Early Republic isn’t pretty fucking good when they were just an irrelevant city on the peninsula.

27 BC - 68 AD

Late Antiquity
Isaurian dynasty
Looking forward to the Komnenoi when the Byzantium podcast covers them

The Ottoman era

What unit is that with the kettle helm
Modded rome2 or atilla?

Samnite wars to punic wars, though I have been warming up to more late republic stuff as of late.
entire republic > early empire > kingdom = late empire >>> Nerva - Constantine

god what a clusterfuck

Late Roman Empire(s)>Medieval Byzantine Empire>Roman Republic>Post Marian Roman Republic>Roman Empire>Kingdom of Rome

Late Republic.

509 BC to 610 AD.

>tfw you will never a govern a content province and extort them for all they're worth

What game is that? Total War?

The post-war/cold war cultural revolution

total war rome 2

why do they always make everyone look so clean

you get me

>Late Roman Empire
But user, that's too depressing.

This

It's late antiquity; people don't start wearing mud and shit til the medieval period.

Realistically why should they be dirty? Sure they've probably marched for a week to get to the battle, but they've got more than one set of clothes, most armies marched with washer women, there were probably rivers to take a dip in on the way, and professional armies tend to enforce standards on cleanliness for soldiers and their equipment.

I like sad stories.

The period of the five good emperors was pretty damn comfy and would be my pick.

That said, Julian's rule is something that I have quite a soft spot for.
I would have happily joined that man in a suicidal charge into a horde of spear wielding Persians.

>I like sad stories.
I guess I never thought about it that way. What do you think of the Latin Empire, or based Trebizond?

Medieval Kingdoms for Attila (release: never)

so is that republic>late republic>empire>late empire>eastern empire>late eastern empire

Its missing a big chunk of roman history, largely ignored is rome from its founding to just before punic wars. Romans themselves thought it was their real glory days, none seemed very impressed about the later republic or empire, especially not the empire. Not sure if anyone praised it.

Anyway, I like the late republic era and the Principate

MOTHERFUCKING JULIUS CEASAR
THE CHAD THAT MADE GUAL HIS BITCH
MUH FAVORITE ROMAN GENERAL

I don't dislike the Latin Empire, but find it hard to sympathize with them because I see the Fourth Crusade more as a business transaction with a lot of blood than a righteous or noble endeavor.

I like or sympathize with Trebizond more because their slice of paradise can't last, not with the ever expanding Turks as their neighbors. Their fall is inevitable, it's fate.

Isaac I Komnenos is more interesting.

Romans stop looking cool after the 2nd century AD

I agree with you on the Latin Empire being somewhat of a dirty business, but I'm fascinated with how Western European duchies and counties were basically transplanted into Greece.
>Their fall is inevitable, it's fate
*cries in Pontic Greek*
The whole Komnenos dynasty is based

It would have been interesting to see how the Crusader copy/paste feudal realms worked out in the long run. Imagine if the Latin Emperor, the King of Jerusalem and Cyprus, and the Prince of Antioch were popping up in tabloids like the British monarchs do today.

Anna is best girl for writing the Alexiad. Also her passage about how hot Bohemond was is just funny.

Late Roman Empire.

The only people that don't hold this opinion are people who have never gone beyond surface level wikiwalking of the Dominate.

Not Roman

Next you'll tell me that the Holy Roman Empire and the Sultanate of Rum aren't Roman... bet you're one of those that doesn't recognize Finland as the true successor of Rome.

>t. John 'Charlemagne' Smith

Julian dynasty up to the Late Roman Empire, but before Christcuck LARPers ruined everything.

Pagan Rome is Best Rome

Christian Rome is just as cool.

Early republic and 2nd century AD.

etruscans were cooler desu.

"Constantine, in this sign you will conquer."

>Garibaldi in bottom right corner

>damn it stop looking into the fucking camera Aemilianus

The kikes of Ancient Rome

>"Constantine, in this sign you will conquer."
Every rendition in modern languages feels so damn awkward. Even en toútōi níka sounds silly.
Better just write IN HOC SIGNO VINCES.

It was always strange to me that augustus never had like 10 children from livia and he didn't think hed get "murdered" for his wifes son to take power

Social Wars to the death of Augustus

Gracchi Brothers , when the Republic wa stil in some salvagable state but before the generals realized they could take over extralegally

>Anna is best girl for writing the Alexiad. Also her passage about how hot Bohemond was is just funny.
> This man who was of such a size and such a character was inferior to the Emperor alone in fortune and eloquence and in other gifts of nature.
>other gifts of nature.

was she talking about the D?

Anytime they were almost or were destroyed.

Pax Romana

Mine is the pleb answer

Gracchi brothers till fall of the republic

I love watching something so great and so perfect slowly realize it's actually shit and fall to despotism.

this

>The whole Komnenos dynasty is based
Except for fucking Andronikos.

The late republic of course.

Andronikos' only mistake was not finishing off the aristocracy

Am I the only one wholly uninterested in Roman history? I respect it as integral to the development of the Western world, but I cannot find any great interest in it.

Yes, out of the billions of people in the world you are that one, special, unique person who stands out from the rest. Nobody else in the history has had your opinion. Only you. Cherish it, you anomaly of humanity.

Macedonian Dynasty
3rd Century Crisis
Heraclius

More of a /v/ question but are there any good mods for Rome 2? I heard DEI was supposed to be alright. Same question for Attila.

Caligula sexy times :^)

That never happened.

> ywn be an imperial governor in Vvardenfell or Black Marsh
> ywn be shoved into the Argonian slip stream network of tree roots to travel vast distances
> elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Pocket_Guide_to_the_Empire,_Third_Edition:_Black_Marsh
Real life is suffering.

What are those hats called that the Emperor wears? Want to see how they looked in real life.

Clearly rome under nero is the best part of roman history.

Anna was a fucking sleg of a gronk who got exactly what she deserved.

t. Fine John

This.

DeI is great, it's updated pretty regularly with new tweaks and mechanics too

There's an equivalent for Attila called Fall of the Eagles, mostly focusing on making the armies more historically accurate, but it's been abandoned. It was mostly done apart from the Slavic, Celtic and Nordic factions.

>DeI is great
Alrighty, downloading now

>but it's been abandoned
Damn shame. I was asking because I have Radious and while the new units look nice, it doesn't change the gameplay much for me.

One last thing, again more of a /v/ thing. Any recommendations for a graphics mod that isn't too hammy?

I once wrote a term paper about Julian. Few men have fascinated me so much.
That said, he wasn't the smartest guy.
He forgot to take the siege equipment over the Tigris river when he attacked Ctesiphon and then burned the ships, cutting off his way back.
At least that's what Ammianus writes.

Monomachus Crown.

>Any recommendations for a graphics mod that isn't too hammy?
GEM is a good all-purpose graphics mod, it comes with its own configuration thing so you can customise it to your liking

Thanks, though I will need to learn how to tweak GEM with time.

my favorite part is the part where there is the holy roman empire and it die to napoleon :D

the only acceptable answer

late republic
particularly anything to do with the tribune of the plebs fucking everything up

How can you have a favorite one? it's like a movie where all the scenes build off the last, it's just nothing without watching the whole thing.

From the wild beginnings of a city state standing out through character and determination alone, the idealistic splendor of the Republic, the darkest hour of the Punic wars, the chaotic birth of a power like no one had seen before, the frenzied and passionate political turmoil, then the cracking at the seams and painful tearing of a system struggling to reinvent itself, the cruel showdowns for the fate of Rome, the vision and sheer will that built the empire, the glory that ushered a new era, and the trials and tragedies of a fated decline, the valiant last stands against an entire world coming down on them, shinning still into endless darkness, chasing salvation beyond mortal struggles and sorrows.

It's all one big epic, one big oddysey of an entire world transforming.

Late Republic. Cato the Younger is forever my boi.

The Bugsian Revolts