Tell me about 1815-1914 Canada

Tell me about 1815-1914 Canada

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rebellions_of_1837–1838
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_River_Rebellion
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/North-West_Rebellion
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arnold_Friberg
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Ah yes. The wars for Canadian Independence were long and hard fought.
Still a touchy subject for many Canadians

what is this image
it looks like rockwell, but canadian
i like it

It sure looked comfortable

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rebellions_of_1837–1838

Spent quite a while fighting French, American and Irish republican invaders and rebels after the War of 1812. Then the Brits return the favour by basically abandoning us as a colony despite being extremely loyal subjects. We really had no choice but to confederate at that point, we needed a military to keep the USA from assraping us and wanted a more effective means of governance considering the Crown basically left us hanging with a dysfunctional system and didn't care/had more important things to do, and so the Dominion of Canada was born. Between Confederation and WWI we basically just expanded, built railways and bolstered our economy and such, not much really happened besides that.

What can you say about the gold rushes?

Vive la République of Lower Canada

Also a few native uprising
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_River_Rebellion
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/North-West_Rebellion

>Tell me about 1815-1914 Canada

Backwoods Nowheresville, much like today but without electricity.

We killed a bunch of americans, natives, and french. Then we started jerking off and never stopped.

that time we crossed the ocean to kill the Boers and that was our first overseas to kill people we had no real problem with..

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arnold_Friberg

there wasn't really anyone there

the brits would soon dump a bunch of plebs there to pretend it was a colony all along in order to halt the natural evolution of America

Are there any good books or readings based on that time period?

Basic bitches wear those shoes today with leggings

A very large portion of "Canadians" after the American Revolution were loyalists that fled north to safe British territory. The USA practically created Canada, pushed all the loyalists into the north which fostered an intense loyalist sentiment, this sentiment fueled the efforts to survive as a British colony rather than give in to US influence and join the states - the entire "Canadian" identity was founded upon not being the USA, and in a way that kind of still is the case today, only in a very minor sense. Canadians still like to draw a sharp line between ourselves and our neighbours to the south despite the fact that our cultures are very similar now, loyalism is practically dead and the monarchy is, for most people, only a formality at this point, but loyalism had such a large influence on our past that the sentiment still exists today even without any real reason for it to exist.

Basically if the USA just kept its dick in its pants we might have a united Anglo America under a constitutional monarchy, but the revolution totally polarized the region forever and forced a deep divide between north and south that would never mend.

I'm curious, in the modern day, how do Canadians and Americans actually feel about each other society wise, rather than politically? I always hear the North Americans are all best of friends or whatever, but it seems weird, because no where in Europe do I see anything like I've been told America and Canada are like.

They svaed europe from the nazis

The general feeling among Canadians is 'glad we don't have to deal with that'. There's pretty big mentality differences in definitions of freedom, roles of the state, political division, but it's not like Canadians actively dislike Americans; there's simply a definite divide. But, 90% of the media consumed is the same, the brands are mostly the same, the culture is 90% the same, many Canadians have more in common with Americans than they do Quebecois or Maritimers. It's like England and Scotland sans the same central authority. They'll get touchy about the difference between them, but it's all pints and no real bad blood, and outsiders will confuse them since there so similar.

In general, from a Canadian perspective, Canadians see themselves as superior for the most part, but when it comes down to interacting with one-another it is totally friendly. I've met quite a few Americans in Canada in casual contexts and we are almost indistinguishable, most of our differences come down to politics - Canadians think American gun laws are retarded, Canadians think American health care is retarded, Canadians think America has a poverty problem that it refuses to adequately address, Canadians think the American wealth gap is ridiculous, Canadians think Americans are more racist (they really are though, especially in the south), Canadians see Americans as more rude (even though we are definitely more rude, we just hide it better), Canadians see Americans as brainwashed with patriotism, Canadians think the American government is retarded and/or pathologically insane. Canadians definitely have a more "collective" mindset than Americans who glorify individualism and I think this is kind of the core of the societal divide between Canada and the USA, but over time Canada is definitely becoming more "American" socially and the collective mindset is eroding in favour of some warped pseudo-individualist abortion.

Basically it is difficult to sum up in one post, we see ourselves as different but get along perfectly well, just don't bring up politics and we're fine, eventually Americans and Canadians will become indistinguishable socially if things continue as they are now because our collective social identity is being eroded by American influence.

all told there were ~120k traitors that left

wow, it's fucking nothing

as you are American I would hope your identity wasn't colored by anything less!

American (and OP) here, the general feeling I get from the average American on Canada is that Canadians know a lot about America, but Americans typically know little about Canada. A lot of us see Canada as a nice place, but the more redneck southerners despise Canada, which isn't surprising considering they hate anything north of Virginia just as much.
Online Americans and Canadians are pretty indistinguishable which does show how similar we are. I've been trying to learn more about Canadian history and culture however, because I don't want to know Canada as "that cold place to the north" as a lot of Americans do.

The divide between Qubec/English Catholic/Protestant defined most of the population centers. Discrimination was common but the populations didn't mix much. The west was tame, government policy was to send police, then send people. In contrast to America, this meant a lot less fighting natives since the Mounties would ride over and arrest you for trying, probably hang you. There was no real 'wild west', but similar westward settlement as America. Since Canada's climate fucking sucks, we mostly tricked poor people into coming for free land. The building of the railroad was the biggest event of the century for sure, as it make it practice to settle and exert influence over the west. There was some unrest over the new authority, the Metis (mixed natives/europeans) in particular fled west to avoid discrimination before the railroad caught up to them. And they got put down pretty hard during a revolt. Largely Canada came to be defined by it's now larger Anglo population that was divided into administratively separate colonies (British Columbia, Newfoundland, Upper Canada, the west mostly crown land under the Hudsons Bay Company). They considered themselves British, were very loyal to Britian (as showed in WW1), and this was in contrast to the Quebecois who were pretty ambivalent, and wanted to be left alone. And largely were, pre-confederation. It is an all together boring period where the nation grew slowly and ground towards unification as Britian didn't want to pay for the colonies any more. Seriously, they were glad to be rid of us and have us be financially independent.