Why did Hannibal cross the Alps instead of going through the coast? Allergy to beaches or just stupid?

Why did Hannibal cross the Alps instead of going through the coast? Allergy to beaches or just stupid?

element of suprise

But many elephants died of freezings. And possibly some anons too.

That wouldn't happen in the beaches

The Romans were waiting on the coast with an army

He wanted to avoid the Spanish Armada

Not all coast are beaches, in fact most aren't.

because by going through Hispania and Gaul he could spread a rebellion against Rome and use them as mercenaries and allies

his plan sort of worked but he left his homeland unprotected

But satan, user is asking why he crossed the alps, not why he took the long way around before reaching the alps.

>ive never seen a map in my life

to the cauldron with you sharter

>he left his homeland unprotected.
No he didn't. The troops he used were mercenaries and veterans from the autonomous barcid spanish conquests. He left his brother in charge of the region with troops sufficient to btfo of two roman field armies. Up untill Scipio motherfucking Africanus the spanish theatre of the war was firmly in carthaginian control.

Do you actually believe the Alps stretch all the way to the coast, where they suddenly cut off in a giant and completely vertical cliff? There should be a limit to how stupid can some posters get.

Scipio Africanus seems like the kind of guy who refers to himself in the third person.

>implying

stop posting, americans should be banned from this board
>homeland
>spanish theatre

another

I'm not American you fucking idiot. Respond with an actual argument or admit that you're retarded.

Go ahead and tell me how there's this amazing cliff where the Alps meet the Mediterranean.

What's wrong with Scipio? Carthage was awful. They had a few good military commanders, but so what? They were child-sacrificing bastards who after many centuries never produced an artistic genius or philosopher or scientist or mathematician or any kind of innovative tradition. Rome's victory against them was the best outcome for the Mediterranean. Rome actually accomplished things - their legal and engineering feats still stagger and influenced the modern world for the good.

you dont need cliffs as reason as to why you wouldnt want to enter italy in the shore, brainlet

there are usually town along on it

Are you retarded or do you just suffer from incredibly bad reading comprehension?

As I clearly laid out the carthaginian dominated part of spain was an autonomous segment of the carthaginian 'empire'. The troops and territories under Hannibal's command at the start of the war were all but nominally under the soverignity of Hannibal. Him using his own forces would thus not impede the military forces practically under the carthaginian state's control. The carthaginian state did not provide Hannibal with an army and the homeland was not dependent on Hannibal to protect itself. In fact, the italian theatre was but one of several continuous theatres of war during the Second Punic War.
Do I need to make myself clearer or did you get it this time?

>What's wrong with Scipio?
Nothing. Scipio was awesome.

Carthage was completely destroyed and the Romans, they most likely had significant Cultural, scientific and artistic achievements, they simply haven't survived. The Library of Carthage for example was a place of knowledge at that time only surpassed by Alexandria. A few of their achievements are still known though, notably the exploits of their explorers. Hanno the navigator sailed through the pillars of hercules (straight of gibraltar) and explored the western coast of africa to as far as cameroon. He may have been the first person from a civilized society to encouter and describe gorilla's. His contemporary Himilco voyaged to explore the coast of europe, and discovered Britain before the Greeks did.

Because Rome had a massive naval advantage post the first round of Punic Wars, and this was a great way to get his entire force carved up on the water.

There wasn't any alternative. The Carthaginian Navy was destroyed in the First Punic War. The Romans controlled the Mediterranean. Going over the Alps was the only way.

>The Library of Carthage for example was a place of knowledge at that time only surpassed by Alexandria
According to greeks

You people are so stupid
>centuries never produced an artistic genius or philosopher or scientist or mathematician or any kind of innovative tradition
Im not surprised by this reply, i wonder from what you are from, my guess is that you are a germanic

It would've been impossible to cross the sea with their level of technology. He had to go by land

God how I love sardinia-posting.

this

He's the kind of guy who earned every right to do so.

Please, tell us about these great Carthaginian texts that we ought to read

Then that is the answer you fucking idiot. Not your ridiculously stupid original answer.

>Why did Hannibal cross the Alps instead of going through the coast
>HURR because he wanted to go through Hispania and Gaul because reasons