Extra Memes

Post your favorite Extra History memes!

Pole on walle

lol!

This was legitimately posted by a democrat friend of mine

He is a moron though

That pains me.

Honestly, the "Augustus came up with a new plan: just keep losing" from the Great Northern War got me good.

Why have the last 3 days been full of EH posts?

What did your friend think the Berlin Wall was for?

i like the meme where they get the worst fucking speaker in the world to do their "mistakes" wrap up video.

you'd think after doing so many of them, that autist would've learnt how to string together a sentence without having a stroke, but no...

To keep the Jews out obviously

My French colleague who comes from some town in the Alps mentioned the famous story of how Alexander the Great crossed the Alps with his elephants.

I've asked him who Alexander was fighting but he couldn't remember.

Someone is trying to force a meme.

does Veeky Forums even like EH? ive heard almost nothing but bad things from people who claim to be knowledgeable

I remember this anecdote. You've posted it before, haven't you?

No, OP is memeing, hopefully. They're Crash Course level.

From what I have seen their main sin seems to be grossly oversimplifying things or only representing one particular narrative, which their viewers then take as absolute fact. To their credit they do give a caveat every time they do this, but it doesn't seem to register with their viewers at all.

yeah, they're main problem is that they follow a singular narrative on the subjective while omitting or skipping certain stuff for the sake of storytelling
I mean that's their thing and they own it and tell us after, but some people assume their material is 100% truth

It's just a problem of trying to reduce complicated histories into entertaining bits of consumable media. The audience wants something short and comprehensive, they don't have time for tedious scholarly debates or uncertainty. Technically nothing they present is actually wrong, because it's correct according to somebody, but the issue is properly conveying the uncertainty of the things they describe.

I enjoy their videos a lot and find them very entertaining as well as informative. Of course they won't be as detailed as a textbook or college class when they are making youtube videos but they probably do a better job than most middle/highschool teachers at conveying interesting topics in history in a way that people can enjoy.

well yeah, the same thing is common in stuff like pop science (bill nye, neil degrasse tyson etc), they just try to commodify it and make it digestible, it just takes a lot of the nuance away from a lot of the material

but at the end of the day, at least it's not history channel tier

The issue is not that they are not detailed enough, it's that they are committing to one particular interpretation and outright ignore evidence and ideas that contradict that interpretation. In short: they are storytellers, more interested in crafting a narrative for entertainment than with being accurate. Because in the world of scholastic history, being accurate means dealing with immense levels of uncertainty, which can only be done by framing everything in the context of debate between competing theories and fairly giving each theory its say and addressing its points and why they work and don't work. But for storytelling this just doesn't work.

It's fine if they want to tell a story, and as has been pointed out they are very honest and upfront about their truncating of the facts, it's just that their audience is not knowledgeable enough about history to spot where they are getting only a very narrow slice of the facts to fit a particular view point and assume they understand something when they really don't.

>his opinions are determined by what some history nerds on sumerian cuneiform forum likes

Nah, the main problem is his voice is a fucking disaster